Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Challenge!  (Read 4496 times)

Waltham

• Regular debater
Challenge!
« on: April 13, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »

There's nothing like working out how to play something different from ones usual fare for stretching the brain and the fingers.  I'm always up for a challenge and I'm sure lots of you are too.  So I hereby present the first in an occasional series of melodeon forum challenges!

The mission, should you chose to accept it, is this: over the course of the next month, arrange and learn how to play a Beatles song of your choice on your melodeon/diatonic accordion.  The arrangement should be for both hands, i.e. melody, bass and chords and should be an instrumental arrangement rather than a song accompaniment.  If you already play one regularly then pick a different one. 

By the 13th of May make a recording of yourself playing it, audio or video as you wish, make that recording available to the world (e.g. youtube or somesuch) and post a link to it in this thread.  There will be no winner but we can discuss the results here, and how we found the experience.

If you're up for this make a post in this thread to indicate your intent.  You don't have to say which song you're going to be working on if you don't want to.  Naturally I'll be having a go.

Good luck everybody...this message will self destruct in 10 seconds...

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
Re: Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 04:45:19 PM »

Hah!Great idea!
I'm not sure if i'll be technologically up for the challenge but we'll see.
Now what to choose,HelterSkelter or Michelle?

Chris

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:44:17 PM »

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »

Hmm, not sure if playing someone else's arrangement falls within the challenge to "arrange and learn how to play a Beatles song", but to each their own, I guess.  Naturally some songs will be harder than others, and some instruments with handy accidentals and extra basses will be able to manage a wider selection; for B/C/C#s it's not really a challenge at all, but for D/G etc it might take a bit of though/trial-and-error.  If this were competitive we could have a handicapping system, where Revolution #9 on an unmodified pokerwork attracts the smallest penalty.  But since it's more a co-operative mutually supportive kind of thing (right?) everyone can pick the song they think will best stretch them.  It often used to be said that the Beatles killed the accordion, here's its chance to even up the scores!

A couple of thought-provoking links for those still in doubt:

http://www.ksanti.net/free-reed/essays/beatles.html

http://www.fab-4.com/john.html

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:34:22 AM »

Hmm, not sure if playing someone else's arrangement falls within the challenge
I'm sure it isn't.  ;) It wasn't meant as a submission, just to show that people play beatles on melodeon. The challenge is great though. I'll try to find time to give it a go. Tiny problem might be that posting a video or recording of a beatles song is illegal unless you pay the appropriate fee to Sir Paul (or is it mr. Jackson now). Happens all the time on youtube, but still worth considering.

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 05:47:04 PM »

As you say, there are all manner of Beatles arrangements all over youtube (including a guy playing Yesterday on CBA in his toilet!), but I wouldn't want to put myself in the position of owing Mr Jackson anything.  Since it looks like there's only going to be three of us it's probably easy enough to share our files privately which wouldn't raise the issue.

I think I've settled on my song now but I think I'll keep it a surprise....

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 01:31:35 PM »

Didn't Mr Jackson have to sell his ownership of Beatles songs? (or was that wishfull thinking?)
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 10:35:09 PM »

Well, we're halfway through, how's it going? 

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »

Well, clearly I've missed the deadline in no uncertain manner.  I've been ill, nasty dose of bronchitis stopped me practicsing and my arrangement of Eleanor Rigby, while progressing is not really up to scratch.  But I see no one else has posted there's either, so what say we make it 13th June to give us all time to polish up?  Or has everyone else lost interest?

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 08:16:43 PM »

Sorry Waltham, I meant to get involved with this but have become embroiled in my campagn against Squeezy Marmite.

It's an outrage!
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal