Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What tunes to play???  (Read 5153 times)

strad

• Respected Sage
What tunes to play???
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:10:35 PM »

A friend of mine has been asked to play at a single sex marriage reception and is scratching his head as to what tunes to play. Apart from The Gay Gordons can anyone suggest anything else? At band practice last night we didn't have many suggestions apart from De'il Stick The Minister.

Nigel

george garside

Re: What tunes to play???
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »

? ...the magic dragon
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »

A friend of mine has been asked to play at a single sex marriage reception and is scratching his head as to what tunes to play. Apart from The Gay Gordons can anyone suggest anything else? At band practice last night we didn't have many suggestions apart from De'il Stick The Minister.
Nigel

As ever - depends on how he wants to play it (boys I assume?) There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the standard marriage set of 'Going upstairs', 'Dearest Dicke' etc  - you might omit 'Pram Pushing' in favour of 'Constant Billie'  ???

You could just do straightforward tunes without double entendre -  No fun in that though  :|glug

[edit]  Genius, George ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:26:38 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

george garside

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »

bobby shafto

Fangy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »

Brighton Camp!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 01:51:42 PM »

A friend of mine has been asked to play at a single sex marriage reception ...

Nigel

Perhaps it might be a good idea to establish with the people concerned as to whether they would find this sort of "double entendre" approach amusing, or whether they would find it unacceptable on what is, after all, their celebration! I've played at quite a few single-sex/Civil Ceremony/parnership do's, and find that they're as varied as any other type of event, so the usual repertoire goes down very well. If it's a ceilidh though, it does present the caller with some challenges, rather than their usual phrasing of introductions...."Men, Take your lady in a ballroom hold....ooh-err"  rang out of the speakers on one notable evening....

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »

If it's a ceilidh though, it does present the caller with some challenges, rather than their usual phrasing of introductions...."Men, Take your lady in a ballroom hold....ooh-err"

Some callers, famously Mary Panton, practice gender-neutral calling anyway so this never becomes a problem.

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 07:10:58 PM »

Brighton Camp!
That one is also known as "The Girl I left behind"... ouch...
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »

Nigel

Hmm, unless you intend to laboriously explain your "witty tune choices" each time I suspect it'll all be completely lost on the audience anyway ... and if you do ...

Why not just approach it as a normal wedding reception, after all, that's what it is these days, isn't it?

seinegydd

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 11:10:08 PM »

Diversity Singers, the Pink Singers, and the London Gay Men's Chorus had a "Scottish ceilidh" last Saturday at Cecil Sharp House (EFDSS headquarters in Camden Town). The band was Ka-foo-za-lum. Since the clientele was all gay, the caller had to find a way to teach us the dances without being sex-specific. Some couples were male-male, some were female-female, and some were mixed. At one point, I (male, gay) found myself taking the woman's role in one dance while my partner (female, lesbian) took the man's role. What the hell.

The dances we did were the sort of thing you'd find in any English barn dance. They may have been called "Highland Welcome" etc but they were just like the Circassian Circle etc. Everything had to be walked through, because most people didn't know the dances. But everyone had a good evening.

So just play as for any ordinary barn dance / community dance. Everyone will have an enjoyable time.

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 10:09:42 PM »

I think that for "gender neutral" calling to work, you'd need to be a bit selective with your dances. Some dances are quite differentiated in the requirements made of the men/women, and some moves, like Ladies' Chain, and anything entailing a ballroom hold, are quite difficult to do in reverse if you've never swapped roles before. If you just attempt a normal set of dances, some will really come unstuck if no one, even within a couple, knows who is the "man" and who are the "woman".

But there are plenty of dances in which the partners' moves are more or less mirroring each other, and these would be the ones to go for. Dashing White Sergeant and anything else with threesomes would work well, as the gender isn't usually important in those.

I'd recommend your friend to give that side of things a bit of thought and then worry about the tunes afterwards.
Marje

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 04:28:26 PM »

Oh, and a follow-up thought: another couple of snigger-worthy titles (and great tunes both) are Queen's Delight and Queen's Jig.
Marje

george garside

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 04:48:31 PM »

would "  the trip to the cottage" be suitable?

george

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »

Rattling Roving Willie
Dick's Away
both from the William Dixon tune book of 1773
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 08:24:50 PM »

dick gossip?

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »

Cock of the North?
The Fairy Queen?
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 11:09:26 AM »

Oh, and surely "King of the Fairies".
Marje

OwenG

• Respected Sage
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 12:35:19 PM »

A friend of mine has been asked to play at a single sex marriage reception and is scratching his head as to what tunes to play.

If the reception was for a black couple would a similar thread be seen to be acceptable?

Hmph.

I'd take seinegydd's advice if I were you . . .

So just play as for any ordinary barn dance / community dance. Everyone will have an enjoyable time.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 01:39:06 PM »

Nigel, seriously, I think this is one for the caller to sort out - if I were he/she, I think I would start the evening by bringing the issue into the open, and just explain what he/she normally does, and ask for advice from the audience as to how to sort it out.  The dancers, if they are mainly homosexual, will probaby be well used to ignorance and/or snidey comments, and will be looking to the caller for wise guidance, and will be highly impressed if the caller recognises it.  I think the best way to approach it would be for the caller to be up-front from the start, and maybe even joke about the traditional asssumption of heterosexuality in social dance.  I also think that if the caller were to avoid the huge pitfalls of jokiness, and also try not to get set on a PC but pedantic alternative convention for 'lady', 'gentleman', he/she might establish themself as a person to be really admired.   

I think the guiding priciple should be that the audience is usually right, whoever they may be.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal