Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Paolo on Martin Quinn's Facebook Gallery  (Read 1784 times)

Andrew Culwell

Interesting Paolo on Martin Quinn's Facebook Gallery
« on: July 29, 2010, 03:32:20 AM »

I was browsing through the images on Martin's facebook gallery and I spotted this Grey Paolo that I have never seen before.  Anyone know about this model?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:39:46 AM by A.J. Culwell »
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

tedrick

Re: Interesting Paolo on Martin Quinn's Facebook Gallery
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 04:26:19 AM »

Hey Drew - I noticed a similar style white Paolo in the history of paolo soprani web article someone posted recently out on face book Irish box page -

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sean_quinn/psoprani/psoprani5.htm

Rhinestones were IN!

Lars

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »

This is sort of the missing link between the wooden-action squared boxes of the 30's, and the streamlined aluminium-action boxes of the 40's.

A friend of mine has a box identical to this one, and I've had the chance to do some work and tuning on it.

The box is quite large, despite being a 3 voice no coupler model, and it does feel a little bulky until gotten used to. The action is made of thin alu levers embedded in wooden slots; quite simple, but funtional and smooth (if you like small buttons).

But the sound... Man... These boxes, or at least the one here in Denmark, sounds close to perfect. Crisp, light, and with that huff-puff of the 30's. It does, however, not have the volume or cut of the grey paolos, but for 'regular use' I find it perfect.

And no, he does not want to sell or trade it to me, but I sure have tried!

pgroff

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »

Lars and Reeds,

I have a very similar- shaped Paolo to the one you posted, but mine has open action, wood levers, and pearl melody buttons.  The body, grille, and bass side are very similar. It's covered in dark blue celluloid.  Mine is a G/C 12 bass with 4 voices (LMMM) and a coupler behind the keyboard.

Even unrestored it's a very nice accordion to play and hear, but I think its best use for me is that its bass and treble reedblocks are an exact match for my aluminum-grille red 4 voice Paolo, so I will (reversibly) use them as spares in an alternate key.

PG

BTW re: transitions from the wooden action to aluminum action, the aluminum-grille 4 voice Paolo I mentioned above (whose internal reedblocks are identical to the square wood-lever 4 voice) has aluminum action. However, I once owned a round-bodied aluminum grille red celluloid 2 voice Paolo from the same general period with wooden levers...

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:42:43 AM by pgroff »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal