Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass buttons  (Read 10335 times)

strad

• Respected Sage
Re: Bass buttons
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »

In the past I have played a horrible dischord when the music has galloped away. It usually stops the tune dead in its tracks and when it's quiet I smile at everyone and say "I started this set at a speed I'm comfortable with, why don't we try it again!" That usually works for about 3 minutes before it starts to speed up again. Some folk just never listen to either the music or the words.

Nigel

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 08:11:06 AM »

I always thought the reason why there is a low D pull on the G row is precisely so that you can play a D7.  maybe this needs to be a new topic.

See http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,4748.msg60154.html

btw - while you can make dischords with random notes - unfortunately our instrument has strong tendency to harmonise. The horriblest chord I know on a D/G is Apull bass with C#,E,GD row extended with CG row.  Technically it's A7#9, and something to clean yer teeth with  :|glug
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 01:17:05 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 10:56:16 AM »

I just hate it when people don't listen to the tune. I once played a set of Bacca Pipes/Sherborne Hornpipe. By the end of the first A music of the Sherborne Hornpipe, Orange in Bloom was being played. I've also lost count of the number of times I've called 'long version' whilst playing From Night Till Morn and people still go blundering off into the B music again 4 bars too early. Grrr.
Some times I wonder if its like chinese whispers
Person starting tune "Play each tune three times through AA BB"
by the time it gets round its turned into "Play each noon, with a tree of limes shoe. Ay, ay? Seen a bee."

and the first tune has already been played three times.
lol!

there's a game session whispers... ;) :P

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 01:12:24 PM »

As a guitarist, G maj to D7 chord change on guitar is marginally more awkward than Gmaj  to D maj, but would never be considered an issue, even by a beginner.

The use of the chord of the dominant 7th is for harmonic 'correctness' (whatever that is).  I find I use 7ths and 9ths more in the minor keys anyway.

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »

btw - while you can make dischords with random notes - unfortunately our instrument has strong tendency to harmonise. The horriblest chord I know on a D/G is Apull bass with C#,E,GD row extended with CG row.  Technically it's A7#9, and something to clean yer teeth with  :|glug

On a club box the best one is as many of the helper row as possible with the Eb push chord.  >:E
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 11:42:20 PM »

On a club box the best one is as many of the helper row as possible with the Eb push chord.  >:E

Like fingernails down a blackboard.  ;D
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »

a recent English session, I kicked off Oh Joe the Boat is Going Over at a nice steady Oscar Woods tempo.
By the end of the first 16 bars, the melodeon player to my left was one whole beat ahead of me and the melodeon player to my right was two beats ahead.
They were both experienced players with many years of sessioning behind them.
Garbage, garbage, garbage.  They are killing the music. >:(
[/quote

Where was I sitting...? :( :-[

Baz
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2010, 10:45:39 AM »

On my lap.  ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal