Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first session  (Read 2491 times)

Peter G

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Pokerwork, Castagnari Tommy
first session
« on: August 04, 2010, 07:07:17 PM »

Hi all
Just completed my first pub session and need to tell someone apart form my long suffering partner! ( to give her credit she didi manage a rather more enthusiastic response than 'that's nice dear')
there is a folk session in my local village pub once a month and this is the first time I've been around to take part. Lovely unintimidating group of 2 couples and I was the only squeezebox player so no peer pressure! So now I'm hooked and planning to surpass Buffalo girls and Shepherds Hey for next time.
It's taken me 2 years to get this far but it was well worth all the enjoyment on the way, and I don't think i would have done this were it not for reading of other people's battles on melnet. I think the badge is agreat idea - this is a really lovely forum to be part of.
Thanks everyone
Pete  :||:

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
Re: first session
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 07:40:09 PM »

well done peter! it took me ages to go to my first session, that was a play around type one where you each take a turn to play something, but now, i dont get too many nerves "! keep it up! hopefully meet in a session one day!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:03:25 PM »

i was the only squeezebox player

Best box player in the session then   ;D

Well done that man!

Peter G

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Pokerwork, Castagnari Tommy
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:51:20 PM »

I  guess the next hurdle is a session with other box players then! :||: :|||: :||: :|glug

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »

at least you will be able to follow their fingers!

george garside

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:46:20 PM »

and if you can't you can always mime a tune or two!  Just keep the air button pressed , waggle the bellows roughly the same as others are doing  and do a bit of random button pressing.  The good thing about miming rather than sitting doing nothing is

1. you dont feel a  burk

2. you find that because you are actually doing something with the box rather than just sitting there that you start to play bits of tunes without realising  that you are so doing - so to speak!

george ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 11:07:56 AM »

One of the most encouraging remarks I heard in my early playing days was "a melodeon can always make a useful noise in a session". There are no doubt some who would query this, but I found the concept of a "useful noise" a more attainable objective at first than actually playing whole tunes. And once you can manage the "useful noise" bit (perhaps playing mostly basses at first), it's surprising how soon you find you're gradually sliding into actually playing the whole tune.
Marje

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »

Congratulations !
Agree with the useful noise concept - but I would be wary about playing just basses especially  if another  "chord instrumentalist" has started a tune Guitarists rarely pick the same chords as melodeon player.
The advantage of a G/D melodeon keyboaed  when you're trying to learn the melody is that even if you do hit the wrong note it will probably harmonise & make a reasonable sound.   

Nothing wrong with Shepherds Hey or Buffalo Girls though ! I still play Donkey Riding / Buffalo Girls as a set although sadly not as good as the great Cock & Bull Band in their prime.   
Paul
Location NE Fife

george garside

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »

if you keep on the row there & move your bellows in the same direction as other DG players there is a very good chance that any button or combination of right hand buttons you press will produce something that will harmonise with whats going on in a session.  Certainly , provided you do it fairly quietly , it won't do  much damage!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 06:18:59 PM »

Well done Pete! You'll be back again and leading tunes in no time (for some reason, people always seem to look to melodeon players to start tunes...why is that?).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal