Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Czech Harmonikas Reeds  (Read 5424 times)

jez4

• Good talker
    • Monty's Maggot
Czech Harmonikas Reeds
« on: August 09, 2010, 09:06:45 AM »

After chatting with Ian Dedic about melodeon construction and reeds, at his suggestion I bought a set of reeds from the Czech firm Harmonikas (http://www.harmonikas.cz/).  They are made with spark erosion technology to fine tolerances - Ian knows more about this than me!

For a comparison test, Rees Wesson, put some of these reeds into one of his boxes so that the same tune could be played on the same instrument with the same reed block, firstly using Antonelli reeds (now merged with Salpa to form Voci Armoniche) and then the Harmonikas.

Rees' conclusion was that Antonelli and Harmonikas reeds are indistinguishable.  Rees also said that the Harmonikas didn't quite have the punchy hard edge of his Binci reeds - Rees I hope I am not misrepresenting you!!

In terms of cost, I paid about �140 for a full set of reeds for a 2 1/2 row, 2 voice, 8 bass box - rather cheaper than Italian reeds (at the time of purchase close to half the price).  

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:52:14 AM by Clive Williams »
Jerry

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
Re: Czech Harmonikas Reeds
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:36:07 AM »

That is very interesting - the occasion most of us have for such a close comparison is rare indeed! (same box/different reeds)

Thanks for posting.  (:)

jez4

• Good talker
    • Monty's Maggot
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:43:19 AM »

I should also have said a public thank you to Ian for his wisdom and especially to Rees for taking the time to fit and test the reeds.
Jerry

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:05:34 AM »

All in a days work.  :|glug
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:23:45 AM »

Very interesting (:)
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Andy Simpson

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »

What grade were they?, I've had a quote from them for a 2 voice 2 1/2 row 12 bass Tipo a Mano set and when the dust settles from a few other things I'm going to go ahead and order them. The results seem quite encouraging.

diatonix

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 03:55:23 PM »

I am not overly surprised by Wessons' conclusion given the fact that Antonelli (SIVA, Voci Armoniche or whatever they call themselves) is one of Harmonikas' most loyal customers. Some years ago I ordered a set of reeds (out of curiosity) from Antonelli. The bass reeds (= armonia) were easily recognized as being Czech, but, alas!, not declared as such...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:57:58 PM by diatonix »

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »

I am not overly surprised by Wessons' conclusion given the fact that Antonelli (SIVA, Voci Armoniche or whatever they call themselves) is one of Harmonikas' most loyal customers. Some years ago I ordered a set of reeds (out of curiosity) from Antonelli. The bass reeds (= armonia) were easily recognized as being Czech, but, alas!, not declared as such...

Very very interesting.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »

Globalization is everywhere...
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:39:17 PM »

What grade were they?, I've had a quote from them for a 2 voice 2 1/2 row 12 bass Tipo a Mano set and when the dust settles from a few other things I'm going to go ahead and order them. The results seem quite encouraging.

They were the "A Mano" (spark erosion cut from hard alloy) not "Tipo Amano" (pressed out of softer alloy with bigger clearances) which are about 60% of the price.

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal