Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ABC converter bookmarklet  (Read 11978 times)

Chris Brimley

Re: ABC converter bookmarklet
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »

It works for me - a brilliantly simple shortcut, Jim, thanks.

This might be asking a lot, but what do people think would be the easiest way to convert the result into a readily editable form?  I can see that it would be very useful to be able to vary the tune, transpose it, add harmonies, chords, text, or whatever.  I use Musescore 0.9.6 or Finale notepad.  I guess exporting in midi format might be one possibility, but I expect you'd lose any text.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 09:32:02 AM »

Doesn't work for me  :( Safari 4.0.5
Works for me in Safari. This is what I did:

1. Open the link mentioned at the start of the thread (or click HERE). The ABC Bookmarklet page should open.

2. Drag the 'ABC to tadpoles' text to your Safari bookmarks bar, so that it always visible when you have Safari open.

3. To use it, find a page which has the ABC text you wish to convert. Using your mouse, highlight the ABC text only. Then, whilst the text is still highlighted, simply click on the bookmarklet in your Safari bookmarks bar. It should open the Montreal Session website in a new browser window where you should see your ABC text converted to nice tadpoles.

Note: The ABC text to be converted must already be in a Safari window, not in any other software such Word or other text editor.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 09:40:25 AM »

Oh my word, oh my word, oh my word....i did it !       
Many thanks!

Sandy
 (:)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 10:29:48 AM »

Jim:
You're a star, take a bow that man!
Being a newbie I'm ok-ish with dots, but haven't tried to make any sense of the ABC thing - too usy patting my head and rubbing my tummy!
A converter's just what I was looking for, and it's just worked a treat.
Good stuff.
Thanks
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Jim

• Good talker
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 10:55:26 AM »

I'm glad people are finding this useful.

But, just to be sure credit goes where it's due: The fantastic ABC converter at the Montreal Session Tunebook is nothing to do with me. All I did is the bookmarklet that saves you having to copy and paste manually.

This might be asking a lot, but what do people think would be the easiest way to convert the result into a readily editable form?  I can see that it would be very useful to be able to vary the tune, transpose it, add harmonies, chords, text, or whatever.  I use Musescore 0.9.6 or Finale notepad.  I guess exporting in midi format might be one possibility, but I expect you'd lose any text.

I think that you probably don't need the bookmarklet or the Montreal Tunebook thing for this. A quick Google suggests Musescore can import musicXML. If so you can paste your ABC into this: http://abc2xml.appspot.com/ and then load the musicXML file into musescore.

- Jim

Chris Brimley

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »

Thanks, Jim, I'm trying that.  Initially I thought it worked perfectly, because it seemed to have no restrictions on file download, which was previously a problem.  However, when I opened the file in MuseScore, all I got was a time signature and the title.  I'll scratch my head a bit and keep you posted!

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 12:26:51 PM »

Doesn't work for me  :( Safari 4.0.5
Works for me in Safari. This is what I did: etc..

Thanks Steve  (:) (and Jim  (:))
I don't get 'jigs'

Chris Brimley

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 10:37:32 PM »

Well, I scratched my head but still couldn't get MuseScore to open that tune.  So I tried another tune, and then converted the result to pdf:

Still some bugs, it seems.  I'll seek guidance from MuseScore.

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 11:19:51 PM »

Amazing!!  (wish I was clever ;))
Thanks!
(Chrome)
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Chris Brimley

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 08:18:04 AM »

I have been talking on the MuseScore bug report forum about using the http://abc2xml.appspot.com/ converter, then pasting the musicXML file into MuseScore to allow editing.  No immediate fixes.  The general opinion seems to be that the bugs are easily overcome manually, and it is important to have a clean abc file to start with.  Also the feeling seems to be that using a standard platform musicXML, is 'a good thing' from the point of view of development.

I must say that I have had some success with other abc files.

The main snag seems to be that if you have a file that doesn't open, you have to understand the whole of abc notation to correct any minor errors, which rather defeats the main object of converting into tadpoles for me.  Jim's original suggestion does seem to be more stable at the moment.

However, I would like to sing the praises of MuseScore, having spent a day or two fiddling around with it.  I was converted to it by this forum.  It is free, under continuous development, remarkably straightforward to use, and seems not to have as many glitches as one or two other systems.  Just try the 8 (not 10, despite appearances) tutorials for a superb introduction.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 09:17:31 AM »

All I did is the bookmarklet that saves you having to copy and paste manually.

- Jim

That in itself is a marvellous thing! Thanks Jim.  :D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

lildogturpy

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »

The O'Regan's site is going through an upgrade.

The site is moving from http://music.gordfisch.net/oregans/ to http:/music.gordfisch.net/montrealsession/

To make the transition smooth I redirect all the old pages to the new ones, but if I do this with the editor, this bookmarklet breaks. It's such a nice tool I would rather not do that if I don't have to. I will keep the old editor up until I can work out what I need to do to keep the bookmarklet working, or until I can talk to Jim to see if the bookmarklet can be changed to fit the new site.

In the meantime, the new editor is at http://music.gordfisch.net/montrealsession/editor.php
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:09:48 AM by lildogturpy »

Kautilya

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 02:02:14 PM »

Just try the 8 (not 10, despite appearances) tutorials for a superb introduction.
1-8 on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mh6m2mbVHs&feature=PlayList&p=6BDCE01557636C85&index=0

eMuseScore in 10 Easy Steps: Part 2 the MuseScore screen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5FnEEwElDg&p=6BDCE01557636C85&index=2&playnext=1

etc

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 02:40:46 PM »

In the meantime, the new editor is at http://music.gordfisch.net/montrealsession/editor.html

Please don't abandon the multieditor! Amazingly useful tool for producing tunebooks­.

http://music.gordfisch.net/oregans/miscellaneous/multieditor.php

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 04:20:39 PM »

a little late but works like a charm. I bookmarked it in Firefox and had no need to drag it
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en RĂ©

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 05:12:51 PM »

The new version lacks some of the functionality of the earlier one (e.g., transposition) but I am told by Robin Beech that it will be restored.
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

lildogturpy

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »

The new editor has the multieditor functionality built in already. You can paste a single tune, or multiple tunes into the editor and it will format all of them.

I plan to add transpose buttons as on the old editor

Not sure if anyone uses the speed up/slow down of the old editor. If so I can add that in also.

The new editor is now fixed so that the bookmarklet works fine. In truth I stole the code from Jim's bookmarklet to make the edit link from any tune on the montrealsession site so that you can tweak a tune before you print it. By using the same code it will make it harder for me to break in future.

I won't redirect the old link to the new one until I have all the functions of the old one working. That way the old editor won't disappear.

If there is anything else you want to see on the new editor, drop me a message via the montreal session site.

Kautilya

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 11:31:38 AM »

Not sure if anyone uses the speed up/slow down of the old editor. If so I can add that in also.
Brain needs time to grapple with this iplet but DO put in the slow down function - most important for learning...
vgood.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 01:38:33 PM »

Robin, I used it a great deal recently. I put together a pdf tunebook of 160 tunes for the ceili band, mostly by grabbing the ABCs from here and there and then editing them, sometimes very heavily, until I had what I wanted. I used the midi playback all the time and if I had played everything at the default speed I'd still be working on the book. Or foaming at the mouth in my padded cell at the local psychiatric facility. After a while I stopped clicking "Faster" and immediately inserted Q:240 into the headers or any jig or reel. But the Faster button allowed me to find out how to use the Q: header. I would suggest you keep it.

From my point of view, pasting in the contents of a large file rather than selecting it as an input file is not an improvement. Hmm, I just pasted in the contents of the said 160-tune abc file to the new editor and it did not format them or display them. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough?  (:)  All it did was start playing midi for the first tune, unprompted. (Which is really annoying by the way.)

And once it starts playing, how do you stop it? While it might appear an inconvenience in the old editor to have the midi playback open a new tab/window, it was useful because you could stop playback at any time. Whereas with the new editor, I don't see how you can turn the midi playback off without closing the page you are working with!

The old multieditor also allowed you to jump to and display any individual tune in the input file. Again, very convenient when working with large collections.

All in all the old multieditor was/is pretty damned brilliant, and thank you very much for it. I'd never have thought of undertaking production of the aforesaid pdf tunebook if I hadn't stumbled on its capabilities. Whereas the new editor, in its current state, seems to me to be a considerable step down for working with tunebooks. If it stays as it is, I don't think I'll be using it for that purpose.

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:48:56 PM by Steve Jones »

lildogturpy

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »

I think you have a good point. There is a lot to be said for two different editors. One for just pasting in a tune or two and getting the pdf/midi files and one with all the fancy stuff like transposition, speeding up/slowing down, editing one tune from a multiple set etc.
Might take a little fiddling around but I'll get to work :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal