Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rockin Dopsie  (Read 3818 times)

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
Rockin Dopsie
« on: May 25, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »

I was idly looking through some old vinyl LPs this wet Sunday afternoon, instead of fixing the fence for the cows, and noticed that Rockin Dopsie appeared (on the LP sleeve) to be playing a three row button accordion of some sort. I have done a bit of googling about this but it doesn't say what system he played. I would say that this forum is my best chance of finding out.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: Rockin Dopsie
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 05:49:19 PM »

Dopsie played G/C/F and possibly F/Bb/Eb which are the two systems favoured by most Zydeco triple row players. They have also dabbled with E/A/D.

Rockin Dopsie played his accordion upside down.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »

Thanks Rees
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

C age ing

• Respected Sage
  • New fangled melodeon?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 04:59:16 PM »

Dopsie played G/C/F and possibly F/Bb/Eb which are the two systems favoured by most Zydeco triple row players. They have also dabbled with E/A/D.

Rockin Dopsie played his accordion upside down.
This might be the reason I don't sound so good playing Zydeco or Cajun.
The problem is when I play upside down, all the blood rushes to my head.
Can you provide upside down lessons, Rees?
My Erika is as old as me. Luckily, it is not as decrepit.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:06:37 AM »

I have just built a mini melodeon for a customer who wishes to play it in his kayak (honest!). From this I have developed a new style for playing underwater. I'm forever blowing bubbles.................

Of course, the upside-down underwater technique has already been exploited by The New Rope String Band.
They use a piano-accordion which is a different kettle of fish.  ;)
www.melodeons.com

Matthew B

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 05:40:23 PM »

This thread is full of rather surreal convergences --- My early passion for the melodeon was fired by Rockin' Doopsie, and I have spent years trying to figure out a sea-kayak-friendly melodeon.  These two ideas are in no way connected.  I have a little Dino Baffetti 1.5 row that fits inside a slightly modified waterproof small-size Pelican case.  But it's a bit squeaky when played for long periods of time, (i.e. more than three minutes) and it tends to encourage creative suggestions from fellow kayakers.  Last year I acquired a Lilliput in part in an attempt to address the problem.  I can just about squeeze it into a dry-bag, but I can't bring myself to haul this little gem into the hostile environment of salt water, wind, waves, and so on. 

So what did you make your customer, and what kind of a kayak do this person put it in?  And can s/he actually play while  paddling?  I once heard of a guy who learned to play the concertina while driving a truck along the highway, which I can visualize.  But a melodeon on a kayak?
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 06:30:59 PM »

It was made from a scrap Lilly bellows and half a Hohner reed block. Six treble buttons, two voice. No basses just an air button.
I don't think he plays it while canoodling along, he just wanted a small melodeon to fit in his rucksack.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts due to the sogginess of it's environment.

I forgot to take a photo of it before he took delivery. I will try to get one when I next see him.
www.melodeons.com

Geoffleft

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 11:56:37 AM »

Now this is SPOOKY...Rockin' Doopsie came to Melbourne, and played at a pub in Richmond, the 'Central Club' Fantastic to see another lefty I thought at the time. The sound crew wouldn't even turn his box up in the front of house..... 'what rubbish' I thought at the time. Great accordionist, no sound - what gives?'
Then, within months, he's passed over to the great pub at the end of the universe.
Now..... A few years later, Beau Joque came to Melbourne and played the 'Continental' . It was a great venue of its time, in a place that had been historicaly important to Melbourne's Music life for generations. He played his first set with no sound. Then the second set was due to start, and the whole band just stood at the front of the stage (Including his wife who was playing rubboard) and screamed at the sound guy that if he didn't turn up the Accordion sound, well they just wouldn't play!!!
Sadly, within months Beau Joque was booked for that big gig in the sky.
I just think it's a bit wierd. That's all.
It isn't just box players either. Bluesmen like Hound Dog Taylor (You know, of the six fingers on each hand. Hits included numbers like 'Give me back my wig') Carked it in about 1976. He had just been on tour, and you guessed it, Melbourne was on the agenda. Played a union night at CIT and the Melbourne Blues Festival.
Oh. and one of the big examples must surely be Robert Marley who performed here in the mid '70's. Was in training to be a runner, but sadly didn't make competition grade. His Reggae band was very popular though!
Guys.......Don't come to melbourne to play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is something wierd going on here.
And then there's people like Bon Scott from ACDC..................Used bagpipes in Rock'n'woll. Hmm....where is he now??
Ceo Babies.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal