Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lira Three row on Ebay  (Read 1485 times)

Andrew Culwell

Lira Three row on Ebay
« on: August 28, 2010, 11:24:58 PM »

I bid on this but someone more eager outbid me.  I have no idea about the tuning or the maker but I thought it was a really nice example of whatever it is.  Reminds me of the old Baldoni's Sweet reed work and construction and big sound!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320580237940&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:1123
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
Re: Lira Three row on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 12:40:16 AM »

Well it's a C/F/Bb club, due to the C gleichton on the middle row. If I recall correctly there should be a gleichton on the inner row as well. The bass looks interesting, presumably C/G, F/C and Bb/F on the outermost row and on the inside row? No idea. 5 buttons suggests diatonic bass like on a Garmoshka, possibly? Or perhaps dominants like on the Hohner Overture, with extra bass spliced in. Very interesting.

It really is a nice box, with quite a strident sound. Plus it looks stunning, to my eyes only. I know what you mean comparing it to the Baldoni, it has a similar look. Shame you didn't win it, it would have been interesting to learn more. The missing reedplates are a mystery to me though, why are the same ones missing on both blocks?
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Lira Three row on Ebay
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »

The missing reedplates are a mystery to me though, why are the same ones missing on both blocks?

Its probably the same as some Paolo Sopranis where there is a blank near the centre of two reedblocks to leave space for parts of the coupler mechanism.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal