Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for September 2010 - The Liberty Bell  (Read 30060 times)

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
Re: Tune of the Month for September 2010 - The Liberty Bell
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »

Bravo, Mike!

Pressures over - till the next time  :Ph

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2010, 05:49:07 PM »

What a struggle!  ... herewith the best I can do with Monty Python ... at least the best I can do with that wretched recording light on...

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=29733

Bravo Indeed! A fine assault on the entire tune  :||:  :|glug :|glug :|glug
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Microbot

• Respected Sage
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2010, 07:30:27 PM »

Hi Neil,  Sarah, Anahata and Steve - many thanks for your kind comments....

I don't know what others found, but this sort of tune takes me out of my 'comfort zone'. Shortly before this I learned the Primrose Polka - also a reasonably demanding tune. After struggling and really working on Liberty Bell, I can play Primrose Polka, and other tunes I find tough, much more fluently. And tricks I had to learn for Liberty Bell have found their way into some other tunes... So, I'd say that's an argument for occasionally making Tune of the Month 'a bit of an epic'...?

OK, so there may not have been so many postings/recordings of Liberty Bell - but how should we measure the success of TOTM - by the number of recordings or the number of views/postings which indicate interest? Looking back, the Liberty Bell has received more views and more postings than Rusty Gully, Cock of the North and Nutting Girl...

Sometimes simple tunes, some medium tunes, some tough tunes - all proposed and voted for as happens now - what could be better? Long live TOTM!

cheers to all

Mike R

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2010, 12:01:32 AM »

After struggling and really working on Liberty Bell, I can play Primrose Polka, and other tunes I find tough, much more fluently. And tricks I had to learn for Liberty Bell have found their way into some other tunes...
Ain't that the truth!
I went though a period a few years ago when I was playing lots of Balkan tunes on a standard D/G with 4 accidentals - stuff out of  Linsey Pollak's Macedonian Folk Music book, a Gankino Horo and Bučimiś from Bulgaria - brain bogglingly hard to play but they did wonders for my technique. In one of those tunes it took weeks to get just a two bar phrase up to speed. I've never regretted it.

Remember, though,  that some of the relatively simpler tunes we've had here are just as much of a challenge to the less experienced players and they must have benefited in the same way.

Also it can be a challenge to play a simple tune really well. At Sidmouth this year Nick Barber and I were listening to Liam Robinson playing at the Anchor Gardens ceilidh, on a 1-row melodeon, and Nick suggested the real test of a good melodeon player was to get them to play Soldiers Joy (which Liam was, at the time) and hear what they made of it.

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Microbot

• Respected Sage
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »

Absolutely Anahata - and when you get a tune 'on the go' amongst a bunch of people, whether on Melnet or at a session, whether "easy" or challenging - that's a real chance to learn and improve how one does it oneself.

I learn all my tunes by ear and I reckon I've a pretty good ear. But I never cease to be amazed at how my ear 'hears what it wants to hear'. Another player will hear a tune, and then play and interpret it differently. There are slight notational variations, stylistic options, those little one-or-two note linking phrases, plus chord options. They'll often get more out of it ...

... and then I nick it!

So there should be penalty points for late-postings on TOTM and extra Brownie Points for people like Ukebert and Clive and Lester who regularly pitch in up front.

cheers

Mike

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2010, 09:44:22 AM »

Remember, though,  that some of the relatively simpler tunes we've had here are just as much of a challenge to the less experienced players and they must have benefited in the same way.

Also it can be a challenge to play a simple tune really well. At Sidmouth this year Nick Barber and I were listening to Liam Robinson playing at the Anchor Gardens ceilidh, on a 1-row melodeon, and Nick suggested the real test of a good melodeon player was to get them to play Soldiers Joy (which Liam was, at the time) and hear what they made of it.
a candidate for tune/theme of the month perhaps?

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2010, 02:06:15 AM »

Hi Clive and all,

What a struggle!  ... herewith the best I can do with Monty Python ... at least the best I can do with that wretched recording light on...

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=29733

...my Pressed Wood is fitted with a high G#/Bb on 11th button of D-row... which is a bloody long way from anywhere...

cheers - and is it too late to propose 3 blind mice for next months TOTM?

Mike R

Fantastic Mike (:) It's got great bounce that rendition.

By the way Ukebert, that's a really snappy Liberty Bell - let's hear it for big hands and long fingers! I'm still 'having a go' at the tune, driving everyone here nuts. But what I want to do with it isn't fluent enough yet... and I keep hearing semitones that I haven't put in - and once I've heard 'em they gotta go in! Groan...

Thanks, I enjoyed recording it (:) I've practised it a bit since then (that was on two days effort) so I might rerecord tomorrow or next week. By the way, assuming that you are the same Mike R, I do still want a Preciosa, I just haven't managed to justify the cash yet!
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2010, 06:11:12 PM »

After a good deal of sweat and lowering of personal expectations.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6Te6ayopk

Frankly rather than a rendition of the tune as such it ought to be regarded as a pastiche, or at best an affectionate homage. 

Guy

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2010, 11:00:40 PM »

After a good deal of sweat and lowering of personal expectations.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6Te6ayopk

Frankly rather than a rendition of the tune as such it ought to be regarded as a pastiche, or at best an affectionate homage. 

Guy

Well done sir! Tricky, isn't it?  :o

I'm starting off the new TOTM thread for October now, but as ever everyone please feel free to keep posting late entries for this TOTM here.

Cheers,

Clive
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal