Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion: Should we change TOTM: Q1- Why are we having less posters  (Read 33453 times)

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
Re: Discussion: Should we change TOTM: Q1- Why are we having less posters
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2011, 09:02:34 AM »

It is daunting to play in front of a recording device of any sort - in a different but related way to how it feels performing in front of an audience. Both can be terribly nerve inducing. But it's worth remembering that nothing ever sounds as bad to anyone else as it does to you yourself. There are a few ways of 'sneaking up' on a recorded performance - maybe just leave a sound recorder running while you practice a tune a few times through, then if you end up with one decent take and would like to put it on YouTube you could add photos of you, your melodeon, Brighton or whatever. Keep trying, peops - your efforts are appreciated. :||: :|||: (:)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »

I don't find recording particularly nerve wracking, I just go wrong more. But then I can quite happily perform solo in front of people. What I can't do without feeling very nervous is start a set in a session. No idea why.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2011, 11:11:33 AM »

I'd love to join in as I've been an avid viewer/ listener since I started learning. Two things prevent me; 1, I don't have any recording equipment or a webcam. (or the spare cash to buy any at the mo') . 2, I don't have wifi on the boat and uploading files would take forever and clatter my data allowance. This said, I do take part at home and I take on board the advice and tips given to others and also inspiration from the more experienced members. One day I'll splash out and join in properly! I'd be very sad to see totm go. Bob.
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2011, 12:07:40 PM »

I definitely think it would be wrong to separate tunes into "beginners" and "advanced". Simple tunes can also be good tunes, and in the hands of an expert player, a delight to listen to.

Some TOTM choices happen to be tunes I'm sick to death of, but that's just me and I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy them. Other tunes may seem deceptively simple but are tunes I never tire of. Complicated tunes needn't put people off - it's always interesting to hear how different players interpret them, and sometimes you come across a version that makes the tune seem more accessible than you thought it was.

So please do keep varying the mix. I continue to offer my apologies for non-appearance: I have no idea how to make or upload a recording and am too self-conscious to do so even if I could. I still enjoy seeing how other people play the tunes.
Marje

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »

As i am new to this forum i havent gotten around to plunging into the TOTM recordings. I might at some point, but i have to find out all the hardware AND software requirements to do so. It's on my to-do-list, but it's somewhere at the bottom, heh....
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2011, 03:15:55 PM »

I posted a lot in the winter -- all those French tunes -- but have backed off.  This summer has been insanely busy because of grad school and work.  My blog went from 14 posts in February to 2 in August!  Also, though, I find the English tunes harder to get under my fingers, and don't -- as Anahata said -- have that much incentive to master them.  I still love listening to them, though!  Finally, even under the best of conditions, it takes me about a month to get a tune.  I'm hardly ever concerned with "doing something new and interesting" with a tune, as I am in capturing the spirit of it.  I find myself posting late ThOTM because I finally feel like I've pulled my idea together.  I took a shot at Lemmy Brazil's #2, and only just feel that I can play it with ease, so you folks might be seeing that one soon.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2011, 09:55:09 PM »

For anyone put off by the cost/complexity of video why not start, like me, with sound only. I use a digital dictaphone that cost about £30 on ebay!

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »

Just happened on this thread, and have skipped through the last 2 pages of chat.
I am aware I've never posted, though I came close with Lemmi Brazzle..... but nerves did kick in on attempt no.1 , followed by 'life' things simply getting in the way..... and I'd missed it!
I like TOTM for another reason - it highlights tunes and shows me alternative ways of playing and I've discovered cracking tunes I didn't know.
Recently, 'Scraping the mould off the marmalade', which accompanied Anahata's rendition of Lemmie, I think, has really caught my ear and i've got the dots.... so though I might not post on youtube, I appreciate listening to others; it heads me towards tunes I'm not familiar with, and all in all I think it's a good idea to continue it.
.... and as my typo's increase, I think it's time for bed!
night all
Q
zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2011, 10:34:20 PM »

I didn't dredge this thread from the depths in order to make individual contributors or non-contributors feel guilty. Far from it. It was much more a case of taking stock compared to where we were a year ago.. I think it's level pegging. Tune of the month works, so does theme of the month. Forum members contribute when they can / when the mood takes them, and it all adds to the musical experience that is melodeon.net. All is well.  :D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2011, 11:52:13 PM »

I didn't dredge this thread from the depths in order to make individual contributors or non-contributors feel guilty.

but I do  ::) Summer is difficult with festivals , holibobs and school children not at school ......which is lovely, but I'm now looking forward to a bit of mel.net time again and maybe a few hours playing when I don't feel too guilty. I don't think we should change TOTM....and would be a bit concerned if the numbers posting didn't fluctuate !

Does anyone not like TOTM ? I'd be surprised  :o

cheers
Sandy
 (:)

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2011, 05:01:25 PM »

As someone who doesn't yet contribute to it, I don't feel I should comment. But I'm going to anyway! ;D

I love TOTM. Before I'd even bought my box- and never even held one in my arms - I'd scrutinised the postings and was bowled over by the music. A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who puts themselves forward and gets their music out there. It is such a brilliant learning tool for..well I was going to say beginners, but I think everyone benefits.

And it's particularly interesting and helpful to see (hear) what different people  make of the same tune; the simpler versions have helped me learn some basic tunes, and the more experienced players show just what you can aspire to.

When I've conquered the 'performance nerves', and sussed how to use the darned equipment, I will put something up there. Til then, I'll continue to watch and listen and be thankful for those with more nerve and nous!
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Peter_T

• Good talker
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2011, 09:23:31 AM »

I very much enjoy looking and listening to TotM. I enjoy playing or trying to play some of these - still on Brighton Camp with reversions to Three Around Three.

Yet to be sorted with recording kit and technique.

This summer has not gone remotely as intended - assorted domestic and family emergencies, plus been ill the last fortnight and not actually had  holiday.

Looking forward to trying yet again to get organised.
D/G Pokerwork, perfectly dreadful Scholer G/D Anglo, guitars, harmonicas, etc

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2011, 12:28:31 PM »

It is good to see this thread living on, with a very positive 'keep TOTM going' message. I have posted some videos (very determinedly for quite a while!) but have had my playing ( :|bl for what it's worth) directed in other ways recently. As with most things in life, it seems easier to jump off the merry go round than to get back on, but I love 'Oh Joe...' so am determined to post a vid this month. These tunes are all completely new to me of course, even the culture that produced them, and I don't get 'jigs' unfortunately (the rhythm totally eludes me) but I am making progress with 'The Kesh' ;D So keep it up, all you melnetters!!
I don't get 'jigs'

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2011, 01:15:36 PM »

I've only managed one video, but I do play lots of the tunes a bit, and I love watching the varied treatments on YouTube. I also like that ToTM has upped the overall range of melodeon videos available, and I think it's great that there's a tunebook etc.

So yes, it remains awesome.

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2011, 03:08:09 PM »

To chip in my penn'orth, it's a great resource for the new player.  You get a chance to actually look at where people's fingers are going, what basses they are using, and you get a feeling that it's OK to put your own stamp on a tune - your own ornaments or variations.  And reading the constructive criticisms gives you food for thought for your own performances.

I can see the problems inherent though - new players want tunes they can learn for sessions, more experienced players want something new.  But you're always going to have that problem, so the system of having Theme of the Month where people have a bit of freedom to pick something appropriate to them, and then Tune of the Month chosen to be something that's reasonably accessible to all.  Perhaps those who are totally jaded by the thought of doing such a standard yet again could treat it as an opportunity to reinvent it somewhat?
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

paulq

• Good talker
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »

I have to say that I did post once when TOTM started, and I have recorded since for it now and again, but one thing I find now is that by the time I get around to thinking about doing it, there are already so many really good versions already posted, I'm not sure what mine will contribute. So I end up not doing it. I guess that's the thing for me, it's a fantastic resource to see people actually playing something - example, Clive's wonderful version of Mominette where you have to see the bellows work to understand how the rhythm works - but I don't feel my posting another OK version of it is helping anyone...also I find the recording process with all the mistakes and rerecording a bit frustrating to be honest.

diatosoldo

• Respected Sage
  • Castagnari Benny, Dino Baffetti 85LN
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/diatosoldo
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2011, 03:48:37 AM »

I like TOTM for another reason - it highlights tunes and shows me alternative ways of playing and I've discovered cracking tunes I didn't know.
yes I agree with that ... I enjoy seeing and listening many people playing the same tune, every time it's a snapshot of human diversity, people offering me a kind of mirror through which I can improve (sort of psycho-analysis ???  :D)
Think I should post more recordings, but you know it's quite a fulltime job :
1/ learn properly the TOTM
2/ record it (sometimes you must take several shots before having a correct one, sometimes you grin or slip one or 2 notes, sometimes the camera is not properly set etc .. )
I happened to get aware of Melodeon.net's existing only a few time ago and I do appreciate the way it gets on. It seems there is no equivalent anywhere else.
Please go on   :|||:
♫ ♪  I'm french ♫ ♪
G/C Castagnari Benny
A/D Dino Baffetti 85LN
A/D Thierry Bennetoux
http://www.youtube.com/user/diatosoldo

mrdibbs

« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »

Hi all,

Here is my response: i have put up only one video since I got started on ToTM about 6 months ago. I simply don't have time! I'm a full time masters student and that doesn't give me free time for anything, let alone the accordion. Also, as a new player, a month doesn't give me time to spice up a tune... i can get a good grip on it , but nothing special and that makes it hard to want to rush to learn it quickly. I like playing a tune, letting it be, and coming back to it a few months later.

But, the ToTM is great. As one of those people who has maybe voted a few times and then not put up a video, here is my why!!
nothing fancy...

Chris Brimley

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2011, 02:31:52 AM »

It is certainly true, I've noticed from the numbers listening to my various contributions over the years it's been running, that interest has waned a huge amount.  Mind you, being realistic, I've always put that down to people now knowing that my playing's c..p!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:33:33 AM by Chris Brimley »

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2011, 09:21:11 AM »

Really busy with lots of other stuff.

Have lots of new tunes to learn if I am to play with Sarum Morris next year.
Also as you all know I just moved back to England from Sweden. Dust hasn't settled yet.

Cheers Chas  :|glug
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal