Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion: Should we change TOTM: Q1- Why are we having less posters  (Read 33449 times)

Gary

• Respected Sage
Re: Discussion: Should we change TOTM: Q1- Why are we having less posters
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »

TOTM is essential to my progress, I play by ear at the moment and seek out those in DG . All of you that contribute are helping those who often have no other contact on a regular basis with other box players in person. A big thanks is due for taking the time to share the tunes.  I now have about 50 tunes on my U tube faves list and visit them often as part of my practice.

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2011, 06:14:13 PM »

I just found this discussion was (almost) still alive. My own playing of music is just barely alive, and I'll yet again make an effort to revive it.
When thinking of my melodeon playing and totm, I realized I didn't really get going with my playing before I found totm. I remember sitting one entire evening with that French mazurka (never learned it) and then with Princess Royal, and later Bethanie. It's been a real challenge but totm has helped tremendously with learning to "hear" what chords to use, getting used to play on the inner row, and using the basses in more awkward phrases (because in many of the totm tunes there's a lot of pull-push and it's not always possible to cross rows to make it smoother). And playing whatever is possible (no typical Swedish melodeon player would ever even think of playing Ashokan farewell). I like that.

I've wanted to join in several times this year but never managed because of studies/too much work/similar. Now I feel that I HAVE to play more music for my own wellbeing and since I'm generally restless totm is a good thing and I'll try to join again.

I guess another problem I see (but that's probably just me, I'm always like that) is that recently it's almost only the top players who post something, which always intimidates me, and makes me feel that there's no point. But, I love seeing newbie recordings, it's extremely inspiring, and if I post maybe other newbies want to post.

I agree with Sarah that many of the recent tunes have at least seemed very difficult. But I'm not sure if it only seemed like that because I felt too stressed at the time to really sit down to learn a tune I've never heard, and that didn't seem easy enough.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:17:32 PM by Susi »

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2011, 06:41:54 PM »

Hi Susi - hope to hear you playing again soon then! I can relate to the 'too much work' thing; one of the things I do with TOTM is make time to play as a way of keeping myself sane, because otherwise work would take over completely (I'm crazy busy at the moment, mainly because I'm taking the step of growing what used to be a one man business as well as doing work that actually pays the bills).

I wouldn't say recent tunes have been too hard, but a few of them are obscure and not that well known I grant you. Inna Inna being a great example. No-one's heard it before, but it's really quite simple to play if you take a bit of time to go through it. I think there's a risk of being put off by something just because you *assume* it's going to be hard. For the most part, Liberty Bell apart, they're not... it just takes a bit of time, and a bit of confidence, and you'll be a slightly better player with a slightly bigger repertoire at the end of the month. Repeat for 12 months, and watch your skills grow.

Having said that, I'm surprised 'Rabbit Stew' is currently winning this month's poll; that's *hard*! If anyone wants a simpler tune, I'd suggest voting for something like the Bear Dance instead; a  lovely tune with lots of possibility, but really very simple to learn. In rough order of decreasing hardness, I'd say Rabbit Stew is the hardest, Molly Oxford, 3 Sea Captains, Bear Dance.

Good luck!

Clive

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2011, 07:31:23 PM »

I wouldn't say recent tunes have been too hard, but a few of them are obscure and not that well known I grant you. Inna Inna being a great example. No-one's heard it before, but it's really quite simple to play if you take a bit of time to go through it. I think there's a risk of being put off by something just because you *assume* it's going to be hard. For the most part, Liberty Bell apart, they're not... it just takes a bit of time, and a bit of confidence, and you'll be a slightly better player with a slightly bigger repertoire at the end of the month. Repeat for 12 months, and watch your skills grow.

Having said that, I'm surprised 'Rabbit Stew' is currently winning this month's poll; that's *hard*! If anyone wants a simpler tune, I'd suggest voting for something like the Bear Dance instead; a  lovely tune with lots of possibility, but really very simple to learn. In rough order of decreasing hardness, I'd say Rabbit Stew is the hardest, Molly Oxford, 3 Sea Captains, Bear Dance.

Good luck!

Clive

I think you may be right, many tunes do sound hard, but probably aren't. It's just that my overstressed ears think they will take years to learn them and that there's no point. I just listened to Inna Inna again today, and it actually seemed quite easy. And I did learn a tune some month ago, just never had time to learn it well enough to be able to record it that month, and posting tunes after that month just doesn't seem to catch much interest anyway (other than having a nice recording up on You Tube, of course!).
I haven't yet listened to the poll tunes for next month.. a bit too late I suppose. But I'll go for the easy ones. Otherwise I may just record a Christmas tune or some old totm..

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2011, 01:38:55 PM »

Also, TOTM often leads to other YouTubes or sites, where even more great tunes can be picked up.

Case in point (and a great tune it is) Weasel in the Grass (Lester's).   :|glug
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2011, 02:18:41 PM »

Has it been suggested before that we have an easy ToTM and a not-so easy ToTM, obviously with anybody entitled to post an entry for either or both?

Anything to encourage more activity...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2011, 03:16:05 PM »

Some melodeon workshops (e.g. those at Witney) are labelled for beginners, intermediates or experienced musicians and we choose the ones that suit our current levels of playing. However, it tends to be the case that almost all the tunes that win the TOTM poll fall into the beginner or intermediate category, although the Liberty Bell March was a notable exception. In many ways, it is good that nearly all winning tunes fall into the easier categories because that makes them more accessible to everyone: those who have not been playing long or lack confidence in their ability or tend to freeze in front of a webcam are more likely to attempt easier tunes, but more experienced musicians who want to challenge themselves can only really do so by adding embellishments or arranging the tunes in unusual time signatures or keys. One consequence of this is that interesting but challenging tunes are not going to win the poll very often because only a minority would feel confident about playing them, even though many more of us would benefit from pushing our boundaries by attempting them.

One way of addressing this might be to introduce a three monthly rotation in which all the options for the first month are simple tunes (e.g. Inna Inna, Bear Dance), those for the second month are of an intermediate standard (e.g. L'Inconnu de Limoise, Molly Oxford), those for the third month are more challenging (e.g. Liberty Bell March, Saut du Lapin/Rabbit Stew), and then we return to the simple tunes again for the fourth month. This way, everyone's needs/preferences would be addressed on a rotational basis and everyone would be able to push their limits from time to time.

Do others consider that it might be worth considering this suggestion or some variant of it?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »

With some obvious exceptions, I think it is difficult to designate what is difficult and what is not.
Some simple tunes I find difficult, and other 'tricky' tunes somehow appeal to my brain and get learnt, or are on the 'nearly there' list that means with peresverance I will get there with them.

Maybe a balance of tunes along the rotational approach as suggested by Bob might be an informal way forward?
just a thoughut...
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »

Yes, I accept that it is quite subjective as to which tunes might belong in each category. We would just have to accept Clive's judgment on this. Nevertheless, I think that many of us would accept some tunes as being fairly straightforward, others as being challenging and others as falling between those two categories. If Clive were to group together tunes that he regarded as being of a similar standard each month, then the winning tunes over each three-month period would be likely to include one fairly easy tune, one that was a bit more difficult and one that was of a more challenging nature. Would that not be an improvement?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

joreema

• Good talker
  • Castagnari, Saltarelle, Hohner Erica, MacCann
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2011, 04:57:01 PM »

For me it would be very motivating to hear the results of even beginners. There are alternatives to Youtube like soundcloud etc. We are a melodeon community with beginners and experts. It is good to hear everyone. It is not a competition. So, if we have tunes like "Inna Inna" or "Bear dance" - please make me happy and send your results, even with mistakes and slow tempo!
Castagnari, Saltarelle, Hohner Erica, MacCann Duet, Chemnitzer Konzertina

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2011, 05:19:51 PM »

Right then! I have resolved to buy myself a cheap digital recorder and join in! I hope you'll all be kind! I'm kind of apprehensive but looking forward to it. Don't hold your collective breath though, I've got to buy the gizmo, learn a tune then learn how to put it on t'internet so it may be February by the time I sort it out! Bob.
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

oread_uk

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood SuperII D/G; Manfrini 3 voice D/G
    • Music related blog
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2011, 07:18:16 PM »

I'm making it a resolution to learn the TOTM tunes to the best of my ability (and I am very much an 'lower end of intermediate' player!) - I'm going to be brave, but there is a bit of me that thinks 'why would people want to hear my substandard efforts' and I need to remember that this process is as much about the feedback that others who listen to our efforts give us - so I'm hoping that whatever I post will be commented on in a constructive way so that I can go away and improve my playing even more.  It would give me much more courage to do this if some other 'beginner/intermediate' players posted on a regular basis. 

As far as easy/hard tunes go - I find that if I click with a tune, even if it's a pretty hard one - then I have the stamina to keep plugging on at it - whereas if I'm not that interested in a tune, even if it's easier, I find it harder to learn...

So I'll give it a shot - although from the sounds of things Rabbit Stew may be a bit above my level... nothing ventured and all that.

Happy new year all!   :|glug

Liz

oread_uk

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood SuperII D/G; Manfrini 3 voice D/G
    • Music related blog
« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »

Oh - looks like Bear Dance might pip Rabbit Stew to the post - in which case I would definitely post as I can play that and it would give me an excuse to try some different approaches to it.

;D

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »

Right then! I have resolved to buy myself a cheap digital recorder and join in!
I can recommend a thing called an  "UltraDisc DVR 7". A digital voice recorder with USB. I record tunes then tranfer to soundcloud. It cost about £30 on ebay! This is an example of the sound quality:

http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »

For me it would be very motivating to hear the results of even beginners. There are alternatives to Youtube like soundcloud etc. We are a melodeon community with beginners and experts. It is good to hear everyone. It is not a competition. So, if we have tunes like "Inna Inna" or "Bear dance" - please make me happy and send your results, even with mistakes and slow tempo!

I promise to show off my mistakes and stumbles! I agree, I also think it's extremely motivating to see/hear beginners.
Anahata, I know I once suggested a simpler totm vs a more advanced totm, but noone thought it was a good idea.

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2012, 05:47:19 PM »

Thanks Tufty, that sounds great! I'll check it out. Bob.
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »

Yes, I accept that it is quite subjective as to which tunes might belong in each category. We would just have to accept Clive's judgment on this. Nevertheless, I think that many of us would accept some tunes as being fairly straightforward, others as being challenging and others as falling between those two categories. If Clive were to group together tunes that he regarded as being of a similar standard each month, then the winning tunes over each three-month period would be likely to include one fairly easy tune, one that was a bit more difficult and one that was of a more challenging nature. Would that not be an improvement?

In the end it's always a judgement.  and we must thank Clive for (usually) getting it about right.  This month's 'mazurka' theme is going to get me out of my personal 'easy ' zone and I would commend Bob's 'easy', difficult', 'challenging' formula for the future.
  _       _    _      _ 

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »

So I'll give it a shot - although from the sounds of things Rabbit Stew may be a bit above my level... nothing ventured and all that.

OK, if you do it, so will I, without being embarrassed about the standard of my playing 4 years on...  :|bl :|glug. Also, new camera should be able to record decent quality vid (I hope), which will help.

diatosoldo

• Respected Sage
  • Castagnari Benny, Dino Baffetti 85LN
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/diatosoldo
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »

The number of people posting recordings has really dropped off over the past couple of months, but oddly not the number of people voting in the polls. Certainly, holiday will be part of that, but I suspect not the entire story.

So, to start my thought processes off, here's a question for you: if you've posted recordings before, but not got round to it over the past few months, can you think why? If you've fancied doing a recording, but never got round to it, what's put you off?

Cheers,

Clive

As for me, I'm spending time on Facebook, there are groups for melodeon players, maybe it's easier there to send videos ... ?
♫ ♪  I'm french ♫ ♪
G/C Castagnari Benny
A/D Dino Baffetti 85LN
A/D Thierry Bennetoux
http://www.youtube.com/user/diatosoldo

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »

Well, we could give it a go and see. Just out of curiosity though, if I were to run next month's poll (and I do like using a poll) of, say,

- Rabbit Stew
- Molly Oxford
- Sir Sidney Smith's March
- Mr Beveridge's Maggot

How many here think they would contribute if one of these won? How many of those are not planning to contribute to the Bear Dance TOTM? And how many are there who wouldn't contribute to that harder TOTM, but are planning to contribute to Bear Dance?

(Speaking as a player, I'd happily contribute to both hard and easy. My personal preference is the easier tunes since they're more open to interpretation and experimentation, something I particularly enjoy).

Cheers,

Clive
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal