Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion: Should we change TOTM: Q1- Why are we having less posters  (Read 33468 times)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Discussion: Should we change TOTM: Q1- Why are we having less posters
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »

Well, we could give it a go and see. Just out of curiosity though, if I were to run next month's poll (and I do like using a poll) of, say,

- Rabbit Stew
- Molly Oxford
- Sir Sidney Smith's March
- Mr Beveridge's Maggot

How many here think they would contribute if one of these won? How many of those are not planning to contribute to the Bear Dance TOTM? And how many are there who wouldn't contribute to that harder TOTM, but are planning to contribute to Bear Dance?

(Speaking as a player, I'd happily contribute to both hard and easy. My personal preference is the easier tunes since they're more open to interpretation and experimentation, something I particularly enjoy).

Cheers,

Clive

Since I know two of them I would definitely post.

The problem I have with this discussion is that one mans easy is another mans hard (man being a non-gender specific word in this context). For insatance Old Molly Oxford is not a hard tune, is it  ???

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »

As an aside:
Somewhere here I've posted that in a moment of gross stupidity on my part, I've started to learn Rabbit stew as I thought it had won!
If you ignore my brainstorm, it does show up another facet of TOTM which in my opinion is really valuable.
I've started to learn it because
a. I like the tune
b. I've never heard it before.

Without TOTM I wouldn't have heard it or got the notation and converted it into dots to learn.
My point being it does highlight tunes and put them in the spotlight, making you listen to them and introduces tunes outside of your 'tune envelope'. I've done this previously by learning one of Anahata's tunes before he went into the TOTM for that month.
Perhaps the numbers of posters do not always reflect the true value of this monthly exercise.

Hope that's not broken the flow of current conversation too much.
carry on peeps!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2012, 05:24:03 PM »

I would attempt to contribute if one of those more challenging tunes won. Two of them I have never attempted to play and Sir Sidney Smith's March always causes me problems. I have never yet managed to play it without the music because my mind gets confused about the B music! However, depending on which tune were to win, I would try to learn the tune, if it is one that is new to me, overcome my block over SSSM or post the version of Saut du Lapin I already know.

Bear Dance doesn't particularly inspire me in its basic form, probably because I am too familar with it, so I hope to find time to do something different with it, perhaps by playing it in unusual keys or learning the C music. I hope to post the results, however ropey they might be!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »

The problem I have with this discussion is that one mans easy is another mans hard (man being a non-gender specific word in this context). For insatance Old Molly Oxford is not a hard tune, is it  ???

True, Lester, but I think that most of us would accept that some tunes are more difficult than others. I would be surprised if there was anyone, for instance, who thought Bear Dance was harder to play than Sir Sidney Smith's March, or even than Old Molly Oxford.

While there will undoubtedly be some variations in what people regard as more challenging tunes, I don't think that matters too much. What seems to be happening at the moment is that a fairly easy tune wins most months. I am merely suggesting a way in which a more challenging tune might win from time to time.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2012, 08:25:02 PM »

I have no idea what to do with Bear Dance at the moment, i didn't vote for it, but that is part of the fun.  I suppose what I am saying is, no need to change the format as far as I'm concerned, I don't think it is failing, and if I don't contribute it's more to do with me than with the selection of tunes.

Hurrah! This is the conclusion I think we have already come to several times in this thread. We can't fix it because it really isn't broken  8)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »

What he said.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2012, 09:06:30 PM »

It has just occured to me to look back at the last few TOTM polls. It roughly works out that the winning tune only receives approx. one third of the votes whilst the other two thirds of voters are disappointed/ignored. Why are we having less posters = why are we ignoring the majority of voters?
TOTM, great idea, voting system, not so good.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »

It has just occured to me to look back at the last few TOTM polls. It roughly works out that the winning tune only receives approx. one third of the votes whilst the other two thirds of voters are disappointed/ignored. Why are we having less posters = why are we ignoring the majority of voters?
TOTM, great idea, voting system, not so good.

It's not the system's fault that votes are divided fairly evenly between the choices. A good way to handle that is to leave the other tunes that received significant votes in the list for the next month, and that's what Clive usually does. It's funny how the same tune can appear in the list for several months and not get to the top, though.

There's absolutely nothing to stop you learning, playing, recording and uploading any of the other tunes  that you like in the list, or even not in the list, and posting them in the "tunes" or "recordings and videos" topic.

Also as others have said, playing the tune you've voted for isn't always what it's about...

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2012, 10:47:43 PM »

There's an odd idea forming in my head and it's really not conducive to the rest of the debate. Is there room for a bit of 'None of this works for me this time around so here's what I wanted to play this month'?

COAT!!!!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2012, 11:53:10 PM »

There's an odd idea forming in my head and it's really not conducive to the rest of the debate. Is there room for a bit of 'None of this works for me this time around so here's what I wanted to play this month'?

COAT!!!!
I sort of see where you are coming from but that way may lie anarchy or at the very least people playing their favorite tune which they are already good at.   Surely part of the idea of tune of the month is that people should learn something they may not otherwise have played, a piece that will extend them.

The rub is that by extension of my own argument we should learn the tune that got the least votes  ???
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2012, 12:49:06 AM »

COAT!!!!
I sort of see where you are coming from but that way may lie anarchy or at the very least people playing their favorite tune which they are already good at.   Surely part of the idea of tune of the month is that people should learn something they may not otherwise have played, a piece that will extend them.

The rub is that by extension of my own argument we should learn the tune that got the least votes  ???

But a poster may not want to learn that particular TOTM, therefor making this system counter productive. So what is wrong with people playing their favourite tune that they are already good at if it inspires other people to learn and play it, then it becomes productive.

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2012, 08:14:09 AM »

Isn't that one of the things the 'Tunes' section is for? You can post away to your hearts content, no-one is imposing any restrictions! Bob.
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »

So what is wrong with people playing their favourite tune that they are already good at if it inspires other people to learn and play it, then it becomes productive.

Nothing at all. That's (partly) what the "tunes" and "recording and videos" topics are for. (OK, Bob's just posted the same thing...) I have some more tunes I want to record and haven't done yet, and will link them there, possibly quite soon. Also Theme of the month gives frequent (for me) opportunities to do stuff I like and know anyway.

But TOTM will lose the plot if it becomes a monthly "post anything you like" topic, and the challenge of learning something you wouldn't have done otherwise is valuable, and so is the experience of learning what others do with the same tune.

Nige Rivers

• Late in the day attempt to learn the buttons.
« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »

So what is wrong with people playing their favourite tune that they are already good at if it inspires other people to learn and play it, then it becomes productive.

Nothing at all. That's (partly) what the "tunes" and "recording and videos" topics are for. (OK, Bob's just posted the same thing...) I have some more tunes I want to record and haven't done yet, and will link them there, possibly quite soon. Also Theme of the month gives frequent (for me) opportunities to do stuff I like and know anyway.

But TOTM will lose the plot if it becomes a monthly "post anything you like" topic, and the challenge of learning something you wouldn't have done otherwise is valuable, and so is the experience of learning what others do with the same tune.

Ditto, being presented with tunes I can't already play is why I joined this group in the first place. As a relative beginner (about 8 months of actuall trying to play) it is the challenge that I need to progress and the examples provided by more experienced players that I treasure. Previous posts have suggested that they are reluctant to upload files that are not as good as the experienced submissions. It is these examples (DTN , Clive, Anahata etc.) that inspire me to practice, my basses are still rudimentary and there is no ompah of note as yet, so I do my own version instead. Sooner or later when both hands do as they are told I'll upload a tune as written. :0) Why Change? Just practice everyone, don't be intimidated be inspired and share the learning curve. AND I would just like to say on my behalf that any constructive criticism of my playing is welcome, I will not take offence and I will take it onboard, that's what I'm on here for.

Happy new year everyone.
Don't let me buy another box until I can play the ones that I've got Rivers.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2012, 09:05:56 PM »

What he said.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2012, 10:44:21 PM »

I'll be honest.  Usualy early on there is a version posted that I know I come nowhere near in standard and I just don't see the point in posting my lesser version to waste everyone's time on.

Steve

ndsailor

« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2012, 01:03:59 AM »

I joined this group when I began learning the melodeon about 12 weeks back.  I will begin posting my interpretations of the TOTM selections in the future and paying increased attention on navagating this forum to obtain the selections early enough for me to learn and post.  Thanks all for everything that has been posted and for melodeon.net
Rick Robinson     Bismarck, North Dakota - USA

Matthew B

« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2012, 02:54:09 AM »

I'm a closeted TOTM player -- I have yet to get around to recording and posting anything.  But I usually have a go at learning the tunes.  It's a great way to expand the repertoire at a manageable pace, and it's a real education to see what different folks do with the tunes.

There are some great players contributing all sorts of interesting ideas to the music. 

And my absolute favorite poster is LDT, who plays the tunes straight, rock-solid, and at a perfect speed to learn on the fly.  Brilliant!

And thanks Clive: don't change a thing.
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2012, 09:06:34 AM »

And my absolute favorite poster is LDT, who plays the tunes straight, rock-solid, and at a perfect speed to learn on the fly.  Brilliant!

Awww...thanks.  :|bl And there I was thinking my playing was dull boring and no use to anyone.

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2012, 08:59:45 PM »

Awww...thanks.  :|bl And there I was thinking my playing was dull boring and no use to anyone.

I agree with Matthew. Lots of times the more advanced recordings are blurry and too much ornaments to get the actual melody. I often learn from your recordings. And I say it again, you're one of the most inspiring people I know.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal