Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion: Should we change TOTM: Q1- Why are we having less posters  (Read 33451 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

The number of people posting recordings has really dropped off over the past couple of months, but oddly not the number of people voting in the polls. Certainly, holiday will be part of that, but I suspect not the entire story.

I'm open to all manner of options/suggestions as to what to do with TOTM going forward, and we'll have that discussion in the fullness of time I'm sure, but for now the first step is to find out what issues, if any, should be addressed by whatever we change!

So, to start my thought processes off, here's a question for you: if you've posted recordings before, but not got round to it over the past few months, can you think why? If you've fancied doing a recording, but never got round to it, what's put you off?

Cheers,

Clive

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
Re: Discussion: Should we change TOTM Part 1 - What do we need to change?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:31:49 PM »

I was finding it a bit of a treadmill - learning a tune from scratch each month. Took a break and been learning other tunes over a longer period. Want to get back into TOTM but some of the choices have not been doing it for me. Maybe I should suggest one! How about Farewell to the Creeks (I wouldn't have to learn it from scratch)?

Neil

Good idea Clive - I'll make it my holiday tune.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:34:42 PM by NeilA »

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Discussion: Should we change TOTM: Q1- Why are we having less posters
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »

I have to say when totm started I could keep up with the tunes, but lately a lot of the tunes are out of my ability level or they are tunes that will take ages to learn and never be used again. Id rather learn session useful tunes than spend a month learning a tune I dislike or that im not gonna play again. Especially as I have less time now ive taken up the fiddle.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:06:10 PM »

So, to start my thought processes off, here's a question for you: if you've posted recordings before, but not got round to it over the past few months, can you think why?

That'd be me, then.
I've been fearfully busy, haven't felt like I had time. Didn't post anything for July, and no Nutting Girl for August. The studio (where I usually do recordings/videos) has been a mess (it's a conservatory and tends to get things dumped in it) but that's cleared up now so there's less excuse...

Possible explanations:
- General: The novelty's worn off?
- Cock of the North: didn't seem worth bothering with, other than a possible version in five different keys but that felt like gratuitous showing off for no good reason.
- Nutting Girl: didn't really know what I could do with it other that a fairly straight rendition of something that wasn't exactly the right tune from any of the collected traditions...
- Music you wouldn't expect on a melodeon I have an entry for this which I will submit late. I also have some ambitious possibilities which just aren't ready yet, but I might be able to hack the (3/2) Hornpipe from Handel's Water Music.
- Tunes from France: we did one, but I should really have a go at La Boîte à Frissons on my new G/C box. Again, it will have to be late, or it could double as a tune I learned this Summer.

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:34:21 PM »

Pretty much what Anahata said goes for me too.

Maybe it should be split between beginners/improvers and whizzfinger wizards.
I can certainly understand LDT's point.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Kautilya

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:43:48 PM »

The number of people posting recordings has really dropped off over the past couple of months, but oddly not the number of people voting in the polls. Certainly, holiday will be part of that, but I suspect not the entire story.

I'm open to all manner of options/suggestions as to what to do with TOTM going forward, and we'll have that discussion in the fullness of time I'm sure, but for now the first step is to find out what issues, if any, should be addressed by whatever we change!

So, to start my thought processes off, here's a question for you: if you've posted recordings before, but not got round to it over the past few months, can you think why? If you've fancied doing a recording, but never got round to it, what's put you off?

Cheers,

Clive

it;s partly the weather - really - all that rain Iam sure can provoke SAD* (not just MAD) as well as being the runaround outside season.

BUT BUT
I dont (can't) post.   HOWEVER - watching these efforts and appreciating the pain folk put themselves through getting them ready generates much pleasure for the viewer.  
They are a MASSIVE  learning aid for those lower down the scale.
They can be good for showing technical tricks which will percolate into the brain and reappear in one's own efforts later.
Some are quite inspirational and set (me for one) some off in search of more of the same, new toons to listen to.

Maybe those who only watch (but also serve) such as myself, do not say thank you enough often enough. Sorry about that.  I do PM players some times when they have knocked me out (you know who you  are!) or for technical tips and the latter are much appreciated.

So there is a bigger picture in all this -- the debate over the Battle of the Somme proves the trigger effect - 10 pages of comments at least.  And every time I go anywhere now I manage to get someone to strike it up on all kinds of instruments!!!

And TOTM online in your own time at your own pace  should not be underrated as a driving dynamo for performance in those Village halls, camp gatherings, festival sessions and of course full blown stage gigs - All the  World's a stage and one can see many TOTM players ending up on one at some stage or other.

The CLive IT dept must be able to tell us how many VIEWINGS there have been per toons played.... that would be a good indicator how much we concert goers appreciate the musicians.

You will be aware that TOTM is also raising thoughts elsewhere of having the same monthly operation.... imitation is the best form of flattery.

So, pray for more sun, wait patiently for newbies to coast in as and when they are ready and keep the door wide open not just for TOTM but other toon efforts.   Some people prefer different types of music so the greater the variety (my preference for slow and haunting - aaagghhh, that word, that word) fast and furious etc.  I am not a fan of  "three old craws sitting on a branch" type stuff but I welcome the chance to hear folk playing/singing  it!

So Clive - light up a Hamlet. sit back and  have a glass of  Lindisfarne oldeMeno Mead- you deserve it for leading by example (and playing some super toons while I smoke my King Edward Invincibles).

Now, instead of writing this note, which I do with unstinting gratitude for what has been graciously given by you all,  if I had spent the time learning Sweet Thames flow softly  I could have though  about popping something up. :||: :||: :||:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:00:40 AM by Kautilya »

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:51:48 PM »

Kautilya, my man. Your best (and most intelligible) post yet.
Sincere thanks.  (:)
www.melodeons.com

johnm3487

• johnm3487
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:54:29 PM »

I do believe (hope) that with the nights getting longer people will close their curtains and return to the music and recording equipment.
As for myself I am afraid posting is a learning curve that I don't have time for at present. Probably have the basic equipment to post but lack, knowledge skill and patience at present time. During the little time that I have before lights out, I like to practice some tunes (read as: annoy the neighbours) including some TOTM tunes but I am know finding that although I can knock out a few tunes (not to high standard), I do not have a group of tunes that I can use as a set.

Would hate TOTM to stop as I have gained a lot from observing and listening to the box being played on its own as the sound is not masked by drums guitars etc.

John

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 12:12:29 AM »

Why? Holidays! ;D
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 12:36:10 AM »

holidays, beer, cider, moosics, mmmmm! festival food too, no sorry, had my goddam fill!
www.melodeons.com

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 10:48:42 AM »

...wait patiently for newbies to coast in as and when they are ready...

We have had about 80 new members during August.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »

Oh I was gonna say I prefer theme of the months over tune of the month. That way there's more leeway for for the confident and less confident to choose a tune that suits the theme and their abilities.

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 11:20:30 AM »

Id rather learn session useful tunes than spend a month learning a tune I dislike or that im not gonna play again. 

That pretty much echoes my own feelings.

I found/find TOTM a brilliant way to learn new tunes, with guidance from more experienced players where necessary (eg, with the basses). Having got my head round some of the more session-friendly TOTMs from the early days, I started going along to a local session, feeling that I could at least bash out Speed the Plough, Princess Royal and Michael Turner's Waltz without disgracing myself.

I'm now busily trying to learn as many of the regular session tunes as possible (especially as I play by ear, rather than from the dots).

I still think TOTM is great, and look at many of the posts, but I'm probably more likely to try and learn a new tune and post a recording/video if the chosen TOTM is something I think is likely to be useful for future sessions.

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 11:23:58 AM »

Id rather learn session useful tunes than spend a month learning a tune I dislike or that im not gonna play again. 

That pretty much echoes my own feelings.

I found/find TOTM a brilliant way to learn new tunes, with guidance from more experienced players where necessary (eg, with the basses). Having got my head round some of the more session-friendly TOTMs from the early days, I started going along to a local session, feeling that I could at least bash out Speed the Plough, Princess Royal and Michael Turner's Waltz without disgracing myself.

I'm now busily trying to learn as many of the regular session tunes as possible (especially as I play by ear, rather than from the dots).

I still think TOTM is great, and look at many of the posts, but I'm probably more likely to try and learn a new tune and post a recording/video if the chosen TOTM is something I think is likely to be useful for future sessions.

Ditto, really.  And I do think it would be a huge shame if TOTM were to disappear.  It's potentially such a fantastic learning resource and has already proved to be so.
Steve from Wakefield

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 11:24:03 AM »

I'm with Anahata too. Some of the elected tunes I'd never bother to learn, though I have jammed along with most of them in a sessions. I had problems with my camera at first (also think the charger may still be in Suffolk) but the dedicated Olympus sound gadget is much easier to use and post process. Hence a few posts.

But it's time. I've three quite big extra projects in sway at present, 2 of which involve London meetings. Plus normal job.  Also I'll never personally take to a new tune in a mere 31 days. I've always treated melodies like the more tannic and structured Bordeaux - they improve for some laying down as I hope anyone who got to the Welsh borders 'Gleanings' weekend might agree. Anything I might de-cork after just a month will still be a sulky little ditty with some rough edges. It's less technique than just learning/feeling/experimenting how I want to play it.

To those to who feel technique is a barrier - I'd say soldier on. None of the set so far has been a real finger twister, although they can be a challenge.  Every little trick learned will pay off again later in some other tune. Having said that - I've no clue yet how to attempt Liberty Belle! But once you get at them they seem to find a way and then fall under the fingers.

I'd say soldier on but don't lose too much sleep re the numbers. Internet being internet it is developing into quite a nice little archive. Thanks to Lester for doing the indexing.
  _       _    _      _ 

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 11:48:26 AM »

Oh I was gonna say I prefer theme of the months over tune of the month. That way there's more leeway for for the confident and less confident to choose a tune that suits the theme and their abilities.

That's pretty much the thinking behind ThOTM; it's very hard to come up with one TOTM nomination that pleases beginners and advanced players alike, and coming up with 12 per year is nigh on impossible. The ThOTM allows those that want to, but don't particularly fancy the month's TOTM, to have a go.

I'm not really thinking about dropping TOTM by the way, but am pondering ways it could be changed/updated so it doesn't become elitist - once it drops below a certain number, other new players will be discouraged from joining in, and it'll become stuck as the domain of a few. If we can keep it nice and healthy now, it'll be a lot easier to keep it rolling.

And no, I don't have any particular idea in mind; I'm just canvassing opinion at this stage, and waiting for inspiration to hit!

Cheers,

Clive

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 12:03:04 PM »

I think TOTM is great and have really enjoyed learning most of the tunes, I don't like Cock of the North much but was hoping to learn a A minor version but it turned out to much for me. I'm still working on The Nutting Girl so hope to do something at the weekend. For me as a lonesome beginner , no known Melodeon players locally TOTM is an  essential learning tool. I must admit I much prefer the Videos to the audio files as I get to actually see what folks do - bass, bellow control etc. I really appreciated the tutorials videos that Clive, Chris and DTN did.

don't really see how it could be made better. I hope numbers improve in the autumn (which seems to be here (Bavaria) already!)

Louise

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »

I'm encouraged to see posts saying how much people have learned from TOTM, and also preferring video for learning-related reasons. It's always nice to get feedback.

I may be arrogantly assuming that others have learned something from me, but even if that's true I have also learned a lot from other video and audio postings and from the discussions that ensued here.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »

I'm not really thinking about dropping TOTM by the way, but am pondering ways it could be changed/updated so it doesn't become elitist - once it drops below a certain number, other new players will be discouraged from joining in, and it'll become stuck as the domain of a few. If we can keep it nice and healthy now, it'll be a lot easier to keep it rolling.

There is no reason why the choice of tune has to be poll.  

If the total vote is less than a large minority of members (30 to 50%???) then it counts for little, especially as many who vote for a tune don't contribute a recording.   So Clive, you could simply act as a benevolent dictator, and receive suggestions and then choose the tune yourself using the suggestions as a source of inspiration.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 12:33:58 PM »

If the total vote is less than a large minority of members (30 to 50%???) then it counts for little, especially as many who vote for a tune don't contribute a recording.   So Clive, you could simply act as a benevolent dictator, and receive suggestions and then choose the tune yourself using the suggestions as a source of inspiration.

Well, I have been considering that; I thought I'd see how this thread goes, and indeed how Liberty Bell goes. But the thing is, it comes down to the impossibility of pleasing everyone all the time. You see, I could either pick deliberately easy ones to please learners; or I could pick more advanced ones to please those that are a little bored. Or I could alternate, so you get one easy one month, one moderate the next month, one fairly hard the next. Until I thought a bit and realised that was exactly what we've had recently courtesy of the poll - it's kind of a self limiting thing. If people are bored of easy stuff, harder stuff tends to win next time; if people thought something was too hard, easier stuff tends to win next time.

I also thought I'd see how many contributions Liberty Bell pulls in; if not many, then TOTM's should probably stay relatively easy choices. If it revitalises interest, and we see a few people back we haven't seen in a while, a mix of tune difficulty may be a way forward to keep a healthy turnover of players.

Cheers,

Clive
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal