Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion: Should we change TOTM: Q1- Why are we having less posters  (Read 33450 times)

Kautilya

Re: Discussion: Should we change TOTM: Q1- Why are we having less posters
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 04:25:15 PM »

benevolent dictator,

pleasing everyone all the time.

Clive

Quick chance to slide in my technical hobbyhorse to help beginners to learn faster when  copying the experienced.

The Chuff Trwll thinks my brain is addled because I cannot work out things backwards as easily ass him. BUT,
watching his fingering as HE sees and plays it (admittedly only right hand) as at Bradfield is much easier if the camera is viewing from the player's perspective. Face on it is "backwards" for the viewer so the brain has to do all kinds of mental acrobatics to get the fingers to play along.

At Bradfield I did as best I could and  I was specifically trying to film his hands from the player's angle. Same with Yorkie (also  below).

However as InsightandMind already presciently knew months ago that Clive was going to raise TOTM issues now, I was ccommissioned to film a clear example of how one might film as it is played. Yes, I know, this is on a whistle. Yes, it may be difficult to get bass and treble sides of a box in view. But at least one side can be shown by simply putting the camcorder on a tripod, positioning it to look down over the shoulder of the player.
The whistle shots were done for the learners to pratcise after the workshop.

I have also discovered a rotating software to flip the screen and I will try that on one of Clive's full frontals (battle of the somme   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnyLhVMUIkE&feature=related      ) and see whether it helps ...  I have to get my head round it by trying)  irotate verrsion 1.37  www.entechtaiwan.com

It works!! Or have it got it all "esra over teet" as they say in Moscow?

It may give Clive a bloodrush to the head, but you will see that if he had also  filmed right up on the box you would so easily be able to follow his fingering and TOTM dis-players would not have to worry about positioning the camera over their shoulders or above their heads.  It also avoids folk seeing your unmade beds, saunas, washing machines and empty meths and absinthe bottles on the shelves.... Tracey Emin willl hate it.

So whaddya think? - be nice if someone can experiment.

Tks to Terry Coyne for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IxPeAJKJiA
Rees at 2.36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SDZzKL_m5Q

Yorkie at 36"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyN_g8U2ggc

and finally... if the dictator kindly agrees this could go into his tips for recording video and sound files (:) (:)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:41:02 PM by Kautilya »

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »

I like both TOTM and ThOTM, but for different reasons.  ThOTM is usually more fun and more accessible, since it's most always possible to just choose something that you already like and that's within your comfort zone.  TOTM, though, seems to have more educational worth, as it tends to involve tackling something that you ordinarily wouldn't have chosen, for whatever reason.  I do think, though, that there's a difficulty in having both TOTM and ThOTM every month, as it can be a bit of a distraction to be preparing two entries so regularly. 

I'm not a particularly big fan of the voting system.  It's rare for me to know what more than one or two of the tunes actually are and it's not always obvious where to look them up.  I know, in theory, it wouldn't do me any harm to persevere find them somehow, but in practice, it just doesn't happen.  Also, it's not unusual to find, on first viewing, that there's already a run-away favourite (for some unknown reason) and that investigating the others isn't going to achieve much anyway.  I'd be just as happy with a dictated choice, as, in effect, that's what it seems like anyway.

Personally, I think I've learned a great deal from TOTM/ThOTM.  When watching better players, there's been the chance to see how they go about tackling the same source material, which is obviously very informative.  Then there have been those occasions when 'beginner' players have posted simple, yet musically very effective, entries that tend to lead me to rethink my priorities.  Also, there's the chance to consider entries that I don't enjoy so much - what is it about them that doesn't do it for me?  How can I learn from that?

I guess another ongoing challenge of it, particularly with TOTM, is in finding ways of adding some sort of individuality to it.  When everyone is attempting the same thing, I find it adds to the experience to try and think of something that might be a bit different from everyone else.  Also, there's also the challenge of not just repeating the same style, techniques and tricks from one entry to the next, but to mix those up too.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 02:33:26 AM »

I love Tune of the Month and would be very sad if it was discontinued. To be quite honest I mainly stopped posting because my playing is so poor and I felt embarrassed about inflicting it on people every month. I have learned such a lot from watching all the videos, and equally from reading the interesting comments on pieces of music and the way the players interpret them. Of course there is also the genuine enjoying of hearing people play their instruments and of feeling part of a real community of people sharing a great interest, although less so since I have stopped posting videos. I haven't read all the comments in this thread yet, but please, please keep TOTM happening! I adore my melodeons and still play them every day, so there is no lack of interest on my part, just a genuine concern about whether anyone else needs to hear me playing them  :|bl
Cheers to everyone and thanks for all your great efforts.
I don't get 'jigs'

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 03:32:55 AM »

Kautilya, my man. Your best (and most intelligible) post yet.
Sincere thanks.  (:)

Hahaha! I agree Rees  ;D And thanks Kautilya for articulating all that so well  (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 07:02:49 AM »

playing is so poor and I felt embarrassed about inflicting it on people every month

Know what you mean but not true. If you, LDT and other learners hadn't posted I'd never have had the courage to inflict my playing on others. I still tend to "hide" behind my hubby and prefer to post duets as that way the tune keeps going when I fall apart. But I think the beginner videos are also great encouragement for other learners.

Louise

Ga

• Good talker
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 10:36:38 AM »

Guilty - I often vote on TOTM if the tunes attract me, but I never post my efforts once I've learned the tune.   I find the process of learning very rewarding, and am grateful for the TOTM format.   Some months though, I just don't bother, if the tune doesn't do it for me.  Some months I learn one of the short-listed tunes, instead of the poll winner.  I rarely watch the videos or listen to the recordings of those who have cracked it, unless I need to know how the tune goes, or if there is a stream of admiring messages and a certain recording is obviously very impressive.   This isn't from arrogance, just a lack of time, and also, if I want to hear someone's half-learned version, with no left hand, and several mistakes, then all I have to do is listen to my own efforts, I don't need to log on for that!   I also don't have the recording kit, webcam, patience to learn yet another piece of recording software, or inclination to sign up for even more accounts with YouBook, FaceTube, etc etc etc.

I do like TOTM though, and find it very useful, and am glad some people can be bothered to put their efforts on line.

Scallyanglo

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood Binci Pariselle 2.6 LM 14 bass
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 11:14:49 AM »

Time, Space & Technology - these are the mundane reasons (excuses?) that stop me posting ToTMs  ;D

I keep meaning to set up one place where I can record but never get round to it. Partly cause I'm enjoying learning & practising the TotM! I may be one of many that learn it (mostly) every month but don't post. It's brilliant to see what others do, so I apologise for not contributing. The two ToTM that saw a big leap in my playing were Battle of the Somme and Schottische a Bethanie. a) I would never have learnt these tunes by myself, b) they add something different to my 'repetoire' and c) include technical stuff that stimulates further interest - e.g. time signatures & how to play things differently.

I'd be happy for benevolent dictator(s) to select tunes - I like the discipline of being told what to play!

Chris Brimley

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 11:44:14 AM »

My hunch is that the original rash of posted recordings was mainly a novelty factor thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of members are still actually having a bash at learning new tunes that they are interested in, but they now feel they have 'set out their stall', as it were, and now are being more selective about which tunes they wish to expose to public view, quite reasonably not wishing to be thought of as youtube hoggers.  So, keep up both ToTM and ThoTM, I say, and don't worry if there are fewer responses.  It ain't broke!

Something I've found is that I'm increasingly getting ideas of tunes I'd like to have a go at from other unrelated threads (such as Catharsis, Violet Tulloch Queen of Lerwick, Reel Eugène, and Hommage à Gilles Laprise), and I have wondered about trying to post my efforts too as recordings.  I did wonder about suggesting that it might be an idea to have a sort of 'bin for non-recyclables' (except that it would never get emptied),  so that anyone who wanted to contribute anything they liked could chuck it in, no pressure.  Any mileage in that one, Clive?  My thinking was that this might allow people with a new idea for playing something that otherwise wouldn't ever become a popular choice, to feel able to contribute it.  Of course, they could always start a thread themselves, but that's a bit different.

Jim

• Good talker
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »

As a beginner I think TOTM is great. I've learnt a few tunes from the old TOTMs and I'm working on The Nutting Girl but it's not quite ready yet. However, there's a big step between being able to play it OK and sitting down in front of a camera and playing it round twice without it falling apart.

Maybe it should be "three tunes of the three months"? There could be three tunes on the go at once giving a wider variety of tunes (i.e. allowing something for the beginners and something for the more experienced players) and more time for people to get round to learning and posting their tunes.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »

Maybe it should be "three tunes of the three months"?
Could be, but it's frequently made clear that anyone's welcome to post tunes of the previous or earlier months, which amounts to almost the same thing.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »

I did wonder about suggesting that it might be an idea to have a sort of 'bin for non-recyclables' (except that it would never get emptied),  so that anyone who wanted to contribute anything they liked could chuck it in, no pressure.  Any mileage in that one, Clive?  My thinking was that this might allow people with a new idea for playing something that otherwise wouldn't ever become a popular choice, to feel able to contribute it.......

I like Chris's thinking here... a selection either voted for or dictated, and perhaps something broader than a Theme of the month, or an additional pot-luck category for tunes we have learned and wish to perform now, without waiting for the "correct" category to arrive.
  I think the TotM is a wonderful medium to share knowledge and learn technique. I don't think it needs fixing. The summer has been a very busy time for myself, and I have not had much time to post, as it takes a bit of effort with my primitive setup. I have learned a couple of the tunes, though.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »

I did wonder about suggesting that it might be an idea to have a sort of 'bin for non-recyclables'
Of course, they could always start a thread themselves, but that's a bit different.
It it really? I'd have thought the "tunes" section was ideal for posting along the lines of "here's a YouTube of me playing this random tune I've just learnt and would like to share with the rest of you!"

I think the TotM is a wonderful medium to share knowledge and learn technique. I don't think it needs fixing.
Yep. One of the good self regulating things about it is that each month starts exactly one pair of new threads, so the number and size of the the threads is quite sensible and each one is focused on a clear topic.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »

Oh bother! I really am going to have to do Liberty Bell this month aren't I?  I voted for it and when it was mooted before I was an advocate of it.
I haven't posted much recently due to pressure of work essentially.  I will be back, honestly.
G

Chris Brimley

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 07:54:11 PM »

It it really? I'd have thought the "tunes" section was ideal for posting along the lines of "here's a YouTube of me playing this random tune I've just learnt and would like to share with the rest of you!"

I wondered if anyone would query that!  The difference is a bit subtle, and it's an etiquette thing, I think.  If I've learned a tune from somebody else's contribution or idea, for example, but wanted to do it in a new way, I might consider that starting my own thread about it might be thought of as just taking over someone else's good idea, and perhaps ruffle a few feathers.  Whereas, if there were just a bin for such tunes, it could be more accepted as just a contribution to a general library of technique ideas.  I know it's only a subtle difference.  Do you see the point?

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 08:24:20 PM »

Ok, as a regular reader and Melnet follower but zero contributor to TOTM, what's my thoughts:

1. Technology is the excuse I can hide behind, or lack of, plus pressures of work - but got the Zoom H2 on loan to play with so.....that one's gone at least for this weekend!

2. Inspiration - I look forward to hearing how different people tackle the same chunk of ABC, particularly tunes already ingrained in my fingers. So thanks to Anahata, DTN, Graeme, GbH, LDT, Lester and all the other posters who have taken tunes in different directions. It makes me think - stop playing automatically and think again!

3. Motivation to learn new tunes - there have been some cracking tunes over the past year  - Ashokan, Plane/ Bethanie,  Rusty Gully. Tunes which I sort of knew but had never botherered to investigate. TOTM gave me that kick, particularly as you heard others have a go.

4. TTOTM - a good catch-all idea to run in parallel. It gives people a route to contribute, but not necessarily a reason to learn something new.

5. Future TOTM - I would favour some benign dictatorship steering choices occassionally to ensure there is a good mix of tunes. The challenge is that some great tunes get suggested, but often the majority of members don't know them so never vote for them. So perhaps we need 'help' to make the right decision sometimes :)

Summary - great idea - long may it continue. I am sure there are lots of people like me who follow it but have yet to upload a note.

And thank you Clive.

Enjoy the weekend

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »

I agree with much of what Andy has said above.

I am a bit of a techno-numpty and don't know how to post a tune, but even if I did, I don't think I'd want to expose myself, so to speak. However, I'm very grateful for those who are prepared to do this and share their efforts. I always look at the TOTM thread and am often inspired to learn or re-visit the tune after hearing the discussions and seeing/hearing some of the examples that people have posted.

It's not just the playing of the tunes that's of interest - there is often some discussion about the origin of the tune, variations, speed, how it fits with dancing, etc. Please don't think of stopping TOTM just because there aren't dozens and dozens of sound/video files to see. There are some of us out here who get a lot out of it even if we don't seem to be contributing much.
Marje

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 08:59:04 PM »

I would offer two possible explanations as to why the number of posters for Tune of the Month has diminished, although I have no tangible evidence to support either of them. The first is based on the fact that Tune of the Month began last autumn and was quite well supproted during the winter months. However, during the spring and summer months many of us have been spending much of our spare time at festivals or at dance-outs with Morris sides for whom we play. This reduces the amount of time we can spend learning and practising tunes in order to post them on YouTube. My second point is that the number of posters has diminished since Theme of the Month was introduced. This would be entirely predictable because there are now not one, but at least two, tunes to practise and record each month, but only the same amount of time available in which to do so. No surprise, then, that the effect has been to reduce the number of postings.

If I am right (a big 'if'), then the number of Tune of the Month postings ought to increase again during the winter months, when there are likely to be fewer distractions. However, in order to encourage this, it might be worth considering an alteration to the system whereby, instead of having both a Tune of the Month and a Theme of the Month every month, they would alternate, so that one month there would be a Tune of the Month and for the next month there would be a Theme of the Month.

Are these thoughts in any way helpful or is this just drivel occasioned by alcohol deprivation, which I am now going to address?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »

Hope you don't mind me being honest! .... I love posting  Tunes / Vids ... but due to the festival season pressures time is never been allocated ... but also the tunes in last couple of months just don't get my musical juices flowing! ... this months has got me interested again ... just need to find the time! ... then its the dark end of the year where everything becomes more possible!

I think this effect has been suggested .... I'm living it!.... I think TOTM is brilliant and i'm racked with a 'little' bit of guilt for not supporting it recently!
DTN
 :o
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

philipm

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 09:34:35 PM »

have followed totm since speed the plough.
have learned some tunes.
can nearly play some of them.
however, the next one comes around before i am competent to publish.
currently i am enjoying learning the B section of nutting girl.
please continue. i may well catch up.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 08:43:48 AM »

please continue. i may well catch up.

;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal