Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Zoom H2 Guidance  (Read 10121 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Zoom H2 Guidance
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 09:35:11 PM »

For my camera I always had problems with batteries who are empty at the wrong moments until I found on the internet a tip to use eneloop batteries. Since than I never have problems with batteries anymore.

Just like my experience. Those are the same type of batteries I mentioned earlier - they are supplied fully charged, and still retain 75% of their charge after 3 years on the shelf. There are several makes that use the same technology.
Much better than standard Ni-MH  8)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 11:29:33 PM »

There is a simpler version called the H1 that has just been made available in North America and sells for only $100! I just ordered one.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2053&brandID=4
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 08:51:29 AM »

I have been watching the H1 but have not been able to find one in the flesh in he UK yet, looks to be just what I need rather than what I think I want. Any first hand comments welcome, may be we could have a new H1 thread.
aka malodeon

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 09:47:35 AM »

If I didn't already have an H2, I think I'd buy an H1 like a shot. Standard UK price £89 (Maplins £10 dearer). Looks to be the bee's knees!

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 11:34:30 AM »

If I didn't already have an H2, I think I'd buy an H1 like a shot. Standard UK price £89 (Maplins £10 dearer). Looks to be the bee's knees!

Looks like they've learned from the other designs.
Evidently the Zoom pocket recorder range was planned long in advance, hence the progression H-4, H-2, H-1. What will they come up with next?

I note that it does the full range of formats up to 24 bit 96 kHz and comes with some very useful accessories, like a mic stand adapter that I wish I had for my Edirol R-09. Proper switches for many functions are also a bonus, instead of having to find them on menus.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 12:00:40 PM »

The H1 certainly looks more user friendly than the H2 in many ways.  I note it doesn't seem to have 4ch capability, and I'm not sure whether it has functions like a tuner, both of which the H2 has.

I think the idea of designing it to clip to a camera or video camera is a great one. 

Otherwise, it does look designed mainly to use handheld rather than standing alone, but won't many of us mainly want it to use on its stand?  The H2 is quite well balanced on its plastic tripod, with the weight at the bottom and doesn't fall over easily (unless of course it's attached to a power supply, which is always risky with any small device).

Québécois

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 12:25:47 PM »

Again, it was designed with SIMPLICITY in mind! And it's only $100, plus $25 for the accessory kit (tripod, AC adapter, pouch, etc).

2 channels, no complicated menu navigation, just good old start/stop/record/rewind/forward buttons. Yes, its shape favors hand-held operation and it's one of its features, but it has a centered tripod bush too.

Some people complain that the H4 and H2 take too long to get ready for recording, this one has a big 'record' button that can't be missed!

If you need more features, then the H2 or H4 are obvious better choices, for more money.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 12:27:54 PM »

I note it doesn't seem to have 4ch capability

Neither does the Zoom H4 really. It records two channels at a time, and can play back 4.

The only way I'd want 4 channels (or more) in a portable device is for recording 4 independent channels at once with separate external mics. Once you get into that sort of complication though, it's not a pocket sized portable device any more and I'd be using my 8 channel HD recorder which does the job (more or less) properly.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 12:40:29 PM »

The only way I'd want 4 channels (or more) in a portable device is for recording 4 independent channels at once with separate external mics.

Yes, I think the intention of the H2 4 channel design was to give bands the opportunity to pan from side to side or back to front in making a mix from a 'plonk it in the middle' live recording, and I must say I can see the advantages of that for band rehearsals, etc.  

I think I agree with you, that the simplicity, cheapness and more user-friendly recording are probably going to be winners for the H1, but many have dissed the poor old H2 perhaps a little unfairly, I feel.   It is to my mind a different concept, probably aimed at a different market.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:50:21 PM by Chris Brimley »

BFG

• Good talker
  • Sandpiper D/G, Pariselle G/C
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 01:46:10 PM »

I ordered an H1 recently and am waiting (eagerly) for it to arrive. Should have it in time for Witney, if anyone wants to have a play.

Rob
Beginner - definitely a beginner

Québécois

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »

Just got my H1!!!

I did not have time to do any serious recording but the unit is really cute and easy to use.

When setting the recording mode and bit rate it tells you how much time is left for recording on the SD card. Nice. In MP3 mode at 256kbit/s you get over 17 hours of recording time on a 2GB card, or about 3 hours WAV at 44.1/16.

Every time you press Record it creates a new file, and you can cycle through them while doing playback.

I just discovered that it can be used as a stereo microphone! The 1/8-in headphones/line out jack is active even when not recording.

Plug the USB cable to your computer and presto, you access your files in a folder.

Good thing is, its software is upgradeable like its bigger siblings.

It does feel a little plasticky but on the other hand it's very light and easy to use. It even has "micro legs" on the back side and base, so when you place it on a table you don't scratch its surfaces.

I love it!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 05:24:32 PM by Québécois »

Québécois

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 04:17:35 PM »

I used my H1 for the first time to do a rehearsing session recording. Well, it's nothing about traditional music, I am a drummer in a 15-piece swing band, but the results are amazingly good.

The only thing is that when we use the 'Auto Level' and at some point the music level gets to the maximum allowable value, the unit reduces the input level and leaves it there! So when you listen to the track it starts at a certain level, then goes down in volume for the remaining of the tune.

So I guess the best thing is to adjust the input level manually whenever possible so we get the nuances when a tune has dynamics that vary between piano and forte.

Otherwise an amazing little device for its price.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 05:10:58 PM »

Hi,
If price an issue,just picked up a H2 on ebay in as new condition for £80 so the are around second hand.did collect though to make sure as advertised.

Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Québécois

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 07:38:44 PM »

Update:
After using my little H1 in various environments I must say that the unit works remarkably well in many conditions. Everybody (including myself) is impressed with the quality of the recordings that come out of such a little device. I use it extensively to record our practice sessions and then listen to the recordings as a tool for improving our playing.

Sometimes it is almost 'too sensitive' when used in a public space as it captures everything that can be heard from where it stands.

I recorded acoustic bands in small places as well as a large choir in a church and the recordings are always very good. I record MP3's at 256 kbps and that makes good quality tracks that use a few MB for each songs. It is also very good on battery usage, one 2000 mAh rechargeable AA will last for hours of recording.

Worth every dollar!

Québécois

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 04:06:40 PM »

Nice article, Thanks! There seems to be many very good recording devices out there.

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »

I got the Zoom H1 a couple of months ago - I'm looking forward to trying it out in a session situation. It is very easy to use - just press the red button to start and stop...I can manage that.... ::)
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Québécois

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »

UPDATE - H1 Software
Just a follow-up, there is a new version 2.0 of the software for the H1, and it makes the unit work as a USB audio device and microphone!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:38:57 PM by Québécois »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 08:06:50 AM »

Got one 18 months ago and couldn't cope with it I'm afraid. There was a large latency, both in time to 'boot up' and in the couple of seconds it took to process a recording before ready to go again.  Eventually Donated it to Dolly May who records her choirs and own stuff so not bothered in the slightest.

Bought an Olympus LS11 - perky as an oven chip when recording and perfect for stealing tunes from sessions and peripatetic field recording at festivals.  Cost almost 50% more - but it has zero 'plastic' feel in the hand  - I like that too.  The 12GB memory seems to cover about 30 hours continuous!
  _       _    _      _ 

jb

• Respected Sage
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 10:55:38 AM »

UPDATE - H1 Software
Just a follow-up, there is a new version 2.0 of the software for the H1, and it makes the unit work as a USB audio device and microphone!
great, thanks for that. USB connectivity a nice improvement.
Here's the download page if anyone wants:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/downloads/h1/software/
there ain't no such thing as a free reed

Québécois

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 01:55:52 PM »

Got one 18 months ago and couldn't cope with it I'm afraid. There was a large latency, both in time to 'boot up' and in the couple of seconds it took to process a recording before ready to go again.
This has been improved with the update!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal