Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a mystery hornpipe:  (Read 1689 times)

tedrick

a mystery hornpipe:
« on: September 04, 2010, 04:19:18 AM »

Hey Everyone -
does anyone know the name of the second hornpipe in this 2 tune set? - I learned it from track 12 Damian McKee/Liam Bradley's 100% music for Irish dancing

take a listen to my take on it - I start with fairies hornpipe and then go into it - I call it the mystery hornpipe but would love to know what it's really called --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDWqrtcSf-s

Thanks!
Reed

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
Re: a mystery hornpipe:
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 09:16:24 AM »

Hey Everyone -
does anyone know the name of the second hornpipe in this 2 tune set? - I learned it from track 12 Damian McKee/Liam Bradley's 100% music for Irish dancing

take a listen to my take on it - I start with fairies hornpipe and then go into it - I call it the mystery hornpipe but would love to know what it's really called --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDWqrtcSf-s

Thanks!
Reed

It sounds to me like a variation on the theme of the first tune.

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 10:12:28 AM »

I've got no idea what it is but I love the way you play these tunes  (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

Mike Averill

• suffering from MAD
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:36:02 AM »

Its called "The Laughing Minstrel", I play it on the anglo at the end of a set with Screw the Nut, and The Acrobat. There's also a nice version of it on the Alan Burns CD Rhythmic Vitality. 

Hohner - 1 row 4 stop C and G, pokerwork DG, DoubleRay DC#, Corso CC#, Corona III ADG, CLUB X CF, Elysium II CF
Saltarelle 1 row 4 stop D, Castagnari Giordy DG, Sander DG
Sonola CC#, Walters DC#

tedrick

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »

Ah! OK! Thanks! yes it's called Laughing Minstrel on the recording - guess I should have just gone with that except the set begins with a different hp -

Thanks! I'll look up those other hps you use in your set - sounds neat!

it seems hornpipes are the jazziest of the tunes we play in ITM - at what point did they start being played with such swing? I have a hard time imagining sailors on deck or on the pier hoofing to such jazzy tunes -

what is an example of an old hornpipe tune that would be authentic to sailors and what we think of when we think of them shuffling an impromptu hornpipe?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal