Folky Wack
- 0 (0%)
Liverpool Folk-out
- 0 (0%)
Commando LiverFolk
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Liverpool Commando Trad  (Read 49925 times)

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
Re: Liverpool Commando Trad - aka Folk Ambush
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2010, 05:50:18 PM »

Just to let you know about the weather for tomorrow:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/3071?area=LIVERPOOL#Next4Days

Looks like wet overnight, but just showers during the day.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Regards,

Brian and Ceppy.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Liverpool Commando Trad
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2010, 08:23:16 PM »

Have a great day, whatever the weather. I wish I could be there and I'm looking forward to hearing how it went and seeing the videos.
  :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :|glug :|glug :|glug :|glug
Anahata
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »

Have a great day, whatever the weather. I wish I could be there and I'm looking forward to hearing how it went and seeing the videos.
  :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :|glug :|glug :|glug :|glug
Anahata

thanks, i'll do a full report on Sunday.
Brian Read
A STREB!!,
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

brianread

« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2010, 09:01:18 AM »

Sky's took a turn since this mornin,

I think it might brighten up yet

fingers crossed.
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2010, 01:03:21 PM »

Aaaaargh, missed it!
I had a small emergency in the grandchild department so couldn't get away in time. Needs must.
So sorry I couldn't be there.
I hope it's all going well - looking forward to the reviews.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

John C

• Regular debater
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2010, 02:25:33 PM »

Very well done to organise this!

As a Liverpudlian in Canada I've been feeling homesick thinking about this and I really hope all went well.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video.   I hope to visit again in Sep 11

John

Saltarelle Laurentide GCF, Saltarelle Cheviot ADG

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2010, 06:13:27 AM »

My plan to park in Wirral, and train across failed utterly due to a shrewd council scheme to yellow line all to streets within 1/2 mile from Birkenhead Station. restrictions every day but Sunday. On the Saturday they were utterly empty - no car parked or moving.  Rather than find another station with pay parking I simply took the tunnel to my hospital and walked down (if rather late)  :Ph  So much for public transport.

We started in Liverpool-1 which has decks as per the Montréal video. Although visually stunning, the whole place is totally square and multi echo effects wreaked gentle havoc on musical synchrony. I noticed in the next 3 'spots' everyone was better grouped, and that worked better.

Nice session in the Baltic afterwards although that room too had its acoustic quirks. Extra nuance was added to the music as some of us whistled through our teeth at the meal prices!  

So a rapid leaning curve. Several people wondered about "Manchester next" - which I think indicates success in our own terms. Look forward to the videos. 10/10 to Brian for organising this.   Thanks
  _       _    _      _ 

JohnJ

• JJ's Stuff
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »

A grand day out - special thanks to Brian for making it happen and of course to everyone who turned out to make it a success. The photographers worked really hard, I was seriously impressed!

In general I thought it was a good show - we started at the bottom of a steep learning curve but quickly learned from our experience of the first 'raid'.

There are still many refinements we can employ, I'm just not too sure what they are yet - I need a bit of time to reflect, I suspect that we all do.

I enjoyed the do in the Baltic Fleet, their beer was tremendous. If Manchester is to be the next venue we'll have to work hard to equal the beer quality!

Anyone else got any thoughts / suggestions?

JJ
Hohner B/C, D/G, & A/D/G, & Maestro D/G

brianread

Re: Liverpool Folk-Ambush - the thoughts of Chairman Brian
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2010, 11:53:37 AM »

Liverpool Folk-Ambush October 23rd.

As we sat on the train from Ormskirk I had this vision of people from all over the North West sitting on trains hurtling (well not quite) towards Liverpool, their musical instruments nestling on the floor or the seat next to them.  We talked about the fact that the video guys ought to start here, rather than wait for us to start playing.

The weather forecast was "clearing" and clear it did, it only lightly rained on us once during the last "action", giving the cameras an opportunity to get Sheila, my wife holding an umbrella over three of us as we played.   

We got there early, so went in to Thorntons and had a coffee.  No sign of any commandos.  However as I left to go to the meeting spot, I saw a group of 5 with guitars, etc.  Thanks  - at least there are 6 of us!

So, slowly people arrived right up to the last minute (you know who you are Chris!).  Actually we gave people an hour for just that (unknown) reason - we got that bit right anyway.

Butterflies as I stepped out into the central Mall area to start up DDKK, but soon settled into it especially as I was supported very locally by my band buddies Frank (fiddle) and Mike (Bodhran). Difficulties with hearing everyone, especially the ones on the 1st Level, and a problem with getting from DDKK to OY (4/4 to 6/8).  I'd been practising that in my head and on my trusty Pokerwork all week, but on the night? - no way.  However we got through it.  2 cycles of DDKK and OY (AABB each), then another DDKK gave us the regulation 10 minutes (if you do the arithmetic I think that is about 100 bpm).  Our dancers performed admirably,  Clare doing some Lancashire stepping to OY and groups of them polkering and generally encouraging the general populace (GP) to jiggle around.  I'd forgotten how much fun outside playing for the GP was - Probably the last time I did something like that was in 1985 in the (last) Morris days. 

Phew - that's the first one done.

The pokerwork got better through the day some of the reeds needed a bit of a blow (and they got it), it has been relativly ignored since I got the Castag about 5 years ago, and for the previous 20.

Stop for a pastie, then on to the next one - this one was completely outside in the shopping precinct.  Mike went and sorted out the busker (he came round later and said how much he enjoyed us). This time we kept a bit more together (physically and musically), more dancing from the GP as well as us.  Tune change still problematic, taken to stopping playing and waving in the air, then picking it up again.  Thanks to Les for being able to remember OY when all around are floundering (his excuse is that he plays it for Morris all the time).   

Back to the first venue, but have to wait for the Steel Band to stop playing - they only emailed us about them on Friday. We kept all on one level this time and much better  - perhaps the best of all the spots, 3 levels of GP watching plus quite a bit of planned and ad hoc dancing.   

And the last spot back in the precinct, a little light rain during the action, but by then nothing could dampen our spirits.

Done!

Off to the pub with about 10 of us.  Late lunch and a few more tunes.

All 4 actions were videoed by two professional video operators so they'll have 8 streams to integrate into one mash.  About a week or 10 days they say before we can see the result.  Also Lydia a friend of Ceppy came and photographed them all.  My wife also took quite a few photos. So video and pictures later on we hope.

What would I do different? (these are my thoughts only, others mileage may vary)

1. Keep the tune change even simpler.  Same time signature and dance type, maybe different key (although some thought not even that).
2. To get the "intermingled" effect AND a good sound, we need even more musicians  - perhaps a minimum of 30-35 in a large place.
3. Discipline - we lost the initial "suprise" element to a certain extent - too easy to all setup together.  Some people did hold back as planned, but I felt towards to the end, it was less of a surprise attack and more of a telegraphed one!!
4. 4 "actions" may have been to many  - better perhaps to do only 2 but contain it to a morning or an afternoon. This might mitigate the problems above (point 3).

In all, a great day, everyone agreed I think.

Immense thanks to Ceppy who did all the background "organisation", then had to cope with a husband in hospital on the day.  A real star!

And, of course to all who came, musicians, dancers, videoers, Lydia the photographer and hangers-on.  Without you there would have been nothing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:59:01 AM by brianread »
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2010, 12:15:12 PM »

1. Keep the tune change even simpler.  Same time signature and dance type, maybe different key (although some thought not even that).

I hope no one here will mind if I express a little Schadenfreude at this mudley issue!  Switching between 4/4 and 6/8 can be awkward enough solo (so they tell me), I've said often enough I think it's naff in sessions. It's an accident waiting to happen is a dissipated group of 30 in a shopping centre.  And different dance types only work in set pieces such as Swedish Masquerade.

Whereas a key change allows a leading chord or note (just play A7 instead of D7, though there's other ways) for a nice musical lead into the next tune. ;D   I'd say all the combatants were up for rather harder tunes that the ones you chose - they rattled off medleyed polkas eg Roxborough Castle and Morpeth Rant in the session. and handled its switch from G to D smoothly.  Nuff said.  C

[edit] Ahah! It was wheat beer. all is explained  :|glug
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:28:49 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2010, 01:18:58 PM »

I'm sure, for a first 'event', it was a good testing ground for the organising skills of Brian and his helpers and I for one see it as a great success, certainly something to build on. The wheat beer at the Baltic was a bit strange at first, but I soon got the measure of it.. so to speak  :|glug

Barry J

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2010, 01:42:21 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing any photos etc, prior to the professional video.

How did the shoppers react ?

I was slightly anxious that they might just think it was another act like the steel band, put on for their entertainment whilst parting with their dosh !!

Would it be worth doing the next one in a street market or somewhere a little less smooth and organised ?

I see that the Montreal one was done in a market street, although they had the added possibility of using peoples balconies, probably giving much better sound circulation ?

JohnJ

• JJ's Stuff
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2010, 01:51:01 PM »

A friend of mine (a folkie) watched our first performance, I thought you may find her opinion (as 'audience') of interest:

From onlookers point of view,  we really enjoyed it but noticed that the GP though interested as they passed did not loiter en masse. The sound for us was not enough. More musicians were needed to carry the sound when so spread out upstairs and down. Sorry we didn't follow you to the next one after the 12pm one really because it sounds as if you all had thoughts and re-grouped making it a bit better.

Saying that being upstairs and down and spread out works for the GP because it catches their eyes as well as ears and it is more interesting and random. It doesn't look staged.

All in all was excellent considering that nothing was rehearsed and brightened everyone up.

It amazes me the difference in people's faces when they hear music like yesterday. After leaving you we passed a lad who was thrashing a guitar and singing...he was good...but no one took much notice...where when you lot played people smiled. Their actual body stance changed. This was very evident on the commando trad vids done in Quebec too.

Kautilya

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2010, 03:04:20 PM »

MishMashMedleyonAngloEngtinasMandoGuitarFluteonBodhranHarmonicaTapppytoes all served with  wooden peasant spoons to eat the Scousers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu8N7ZqDM00

Gedi

• New Starter
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2010, 04:43:47 PM »

Thanks Brian for organising this - a great day out I thought!  As you say, the first one was not brilliant but we quickly learned from that and the other three 'raids' were much better. 

I agree with your analysis of the choice of tunes - definately a bit tricky to change time signatures and probably best avoided in future, although I think a key change would work pretty well since it very clearly signals to the GP that its a different tune (to some people all the tunes sound alike!).  It was great to see the smiles on the passers-by - even if they didn't stop they still got a lift I think, and the 3rd one in the multi-level bit was great when I looked up and saw lots of people just standing looking down on us listening to it all.  Brilliant, lets do it again :)

Ged :||:
G/D Melodeon

Barry J

« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2010, 04:49:02 PM »

Thanks for posting the video on YT.

Looks like a great afternoon.

The shoppers reacted as I thought they might.

A street market would give you a different reaction, as they are not used to being entertained in the smooth way that these large shopping malls operate.
It might also be worth considering one where there are tourists as you would get a different mood (not just people looking to buy a new pair of shoes).

London, York, etc ??

Another thought is adding the element of gradual build-up and surprise.

For example, one man starts playing melodeon (just another busker they think).

A little old lady with a shopping trolley suddenly takes an instrument from within and joins in.

A worker in overalls suddenly produces a fiddle from his toolkit and starts to play in time with them.

Then three shop girls join in and so on.

It might take onlookers a while to work out that its orchestrated and the disguises might prove fun.

brianread

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2010, 05:10:04 PM »

1. Keep the tune change even simpler.  Same time signature and dance type, maybe different key (although some thought not even that).

I hope no one here will mind if I express a little Schadenfreude at this mudley issue!  Switching between 4/4 and 6/8 can be awkward enough solo (so they tell me), I've said often enough I think it's naff in sessions. It's an accident waiting to happen is a dissipated group of 30 in a shopping centre.  And different dance types only work in set pieces such as Swedish Masquerade.

Whereas a key change allows a leading chord or note (just play A7 instead of D7, though there's other ways) for a nice musical lead into the next tune. ;D   I'd say all the combatants were up for rather harder tunes that the ones you chose - they rattled off medleyed polkas eg Roxborough Castle and Morpeth Rant in the session. and handled its switch from G to D smoothly.  Nuff said.  C

Agreed, with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight (how can I disagree with someone who can manage to get "schadenfreude" into a posting!  I've been waiting 30 years to achieve that).
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

JohnJ

• JJ's Stuff
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2010, 05:15:04 PM »

Although not exactly what we're doing, Gedi (Ged) just sent me the link to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkBepgH00GM. It certainly seems to have the desired effect.

Thanks Ged!

JJ

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »

The railway station one always makes me think of the old Busby Berkely movies, but I like the idea of piped music, then we could all mime in time  >:E

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2010, 08:14:45 PM »

Enjoyed the day, even if my wife did disappear into a shoe shop during the first spot and was waiting for me (or more accurately my cash card) as soon as we'd finished playing. The day was a definite learning curve, personally I think that staying with a jig set or a reel set (or whatever) rather than chopping and changing may come over better. As far as key changes are concerned - I was planning on taking a four-stop to the next one......

Mike
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:44:50 PM by Mike Gott »
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal