Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Temptation is getting to me . . . .  (Read 5326 times)

Tony M

• Good talker
Temptation is getting to me . . . .
« on: September 17, 2010, 06:56:18 PM »

. . . and after nearly a year with my Pokerwork, I'm getting an itch to buy something else.

This is probably a bad thing, 'cos there's nothing wrong with my Pokerwork, and I'm not absolutely certain what I really want to achieve!  If I was shopping for a new box, I'd probably start by looking at a Black Pearl III: 4th button start appeals - I've come across the limitation from shortage of low notes, there's a stop to take the low reeds out, so more flexibility of sound.  Seems a nice quality box, reputed to play well.  Then I notice what good used boxes go for privately, and it's clear there's a big drop in most cases - so there's an incentive to look at the used offerings quite carefully.

That said, there are a couple of items on eBay that are doing the tempting:

One is a Saltarelle Bouebe - the brain says it's a decent Italian made box (which appeals - seems like a step forward, should play well), and they've been commented on favourably on here by different folk over the last year or so, but the "worry brain" says there's also been a fair bit of adverse comment about inconsistent quality.  Don't know whether the Bouebe has 3rd or 4th button start, and there's no mention of a stop on this one (I see from Eagle Music's site that the current model has a bass stop).

The other is a Hohner Viktoria 2.5 row (from Pip Ives of this parish) - again, the brain says it's been competently built, 4th button start, it sounds OK from the video, and the extra accidentals give scope for more variation in the tunes I could play. The worry-brain says it'll be a heavier box, and learning a somewhat special layout might be limiting in the future.

I know only too well the advice about going out and trying different things - but, practically, that means a trip to the Music Room (by no means an unpleasant activity) and I'm fairly certain I'd end up walking out with a very nice box and paying the price!

I'm not by any means certain I'm going to buy anything just now, but I'd be interested to have any relevant comments!

Thanks,

Tony M.

Andrew Culwell

Re: Temptation is getting to me . . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:02:10 PM »

Definite symptoms of MAD.  Join a 12 step group or better yet stay away from ebay and all other Accordion sales websites.  Or just give in and join the rest of us MAD suffering blokes!
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

boxlad

• Respected Sage
    • Ray Ó Díomasaigh
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 07:14:39 PM »

I agree with A.J. The twelve step group is the only way..
Step 1. Buy another accordion
Step 2. Buy a third accordion
Step 3. Buy a forth accordion....and so on..

The group will praise and encourage you along the way. It will take away the guilt of buying boxes that you 'don't really need'!
 ;)

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »

not me I have not bought a melodeon for 2 months
aka malodeon

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »

Ah but have you had the odd covert squeeze of any you already have Malcolm ?

I'm not convinced the acquisition is the addictive root of this malady  :|||:

Tony, I think there is a Bouebe on ebay at present, just waiting for someone to reach its reserve price - go on, just one more can't hurt, you can always stop there................................

Richard - Several extra Hohners and one or two cheapo's since signing up here, I can stop whenever I like  :P
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Tony M

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:42:05 PM »

So I won't admit to the three four piano accordions I've got in here (plus one belonging to someone else), the two concertinas and the one row Regal? (apart from the Pokerwork)  :|bl

I reckon I've had a dose on MAD for quite a while - just been in remission for a bit!

Yes, that Bouebe is one I've got an eye on - I just wish I was more sure about the details!

Tony.

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:48:48 PM »

I can understand people wanting multiple meodeons or (just) concertscreeemers  but this thing with piano accordions beats me  >:E

Richard
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:50:46 PM »

You don't really have to worry about MAD, 12-step programs until:

You are hiding boxes.
You start playing in the morning before breakfast.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Tony M

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 08:00:05 PM »

". . . but this thing with piano accordions beats me"

Well, I started with one of those, many years ago, sold it, got another about 6 years ago and progressed with it a bit - sold that and got a better one, then a 4-voice . .  (etc.)

Then went to a show and saw Saul Rose play a melodeon, and that was me hooked!  Bought the Pokerwork, and have barely touched a PA since!

" . . . You start playing in the morning before breakfast"

Well, not often, anyway!   ;D

Tony.

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »

You are hiding boxes.
You start playing in the morning before breakfast.
[/quote]

I do hide boxes but only to keep the house looking tidy, there are three behind my chair as I type. I never never play until after breakfast but do get in 20 min. between her indoors leaving for work and me leaving to peddle hard and just get to work on time to earn more money to spend on.........
aka malodeon

Tony M

• Good talker
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 08:51:14 PM »

Well, I reckon I probably caught it from Her Ladyship (who peered over my shoulder a few minutes ago and said, on the "before breakfast" theme, "You DO!  You play while I'm in the shower!") - she admitted to five guitars, several recorders, a flute, a mandolin, a piano . . . occarina . . . (and onwards).  I reckon it's like 'flu - it mutates to suit the victim!

I don't hide them - they're all sort of littering the room.  The only ones not in plain view are the ones HL put in tidy corners!
I am, however, starting to run short of space to put them down!  Maybe I should start exporting them into the front room.

T.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »

I'd advise against the bouebe,  because although it will sound and feel different it's still the same configuration as the pokerwork
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tony M

• Good talker
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 10:38:56 PM »

Thanks, Theo - I wondered if that might be the case.

Duplicating what I've already got won't take me anywhere new, and anyway, I like the Pokerwork.  It's not meant to be a replacement for that.

The 2.5 row would provide the extra low notes as well as the accidentals, but I'm not sure about the weight and playing characteristics of the Viktoria - maybe I'd be better sticking with a two-row for the time being.  My level of uncertainty says I need to take time out to ponder - and maybe a shopping trip, after all.

Thanks again,

Tony.

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 10:40:53 PM »

I'd advise against the bouebe,  because although it will sound and feel different it's still the same configuration as the pokerwork

OK constable I can reveal that one one of the dealers I have used is Theo and you can find him down at Melodeon net
aka malodeon

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 05:10:46 AM »

But if it is anything like my Bouebe, it will have a far better action. Not sure who built it, but it is 12+ years old now and plays smo-o-o-o-o-o-othe as silk. Even better than my Tommy...

The only downside is that it doesn't quite have the volume of a pokerwork (or of the Tommy), but quite loud enough for most applications.
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 11:30:18 AM »

You could always ask Theo to fettle/improve the Pokerwork's action and maybe give it a fourth button start. That would give you alot of what you'd get with a 'costalotti', at a tiny fraction of the price.

Tony M

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 06:00:58 PM »

You could always ask Theo to fettle/improve the Pokerwork's action . . .

Funnily enough, I had that at the back of my mind anyway - I'll need to speak to him.

Had an instructive day today - went over to Cleckheaton and worked my way around the shelves for quite a while, trying things out.

Oddly enough, in spite of what I thought I might like, the 3-voice boxes didn't impress me - I think I prefer the "simpler" sound and less weight.  The Black Pearl was nice enough, the Baffetti Binci was a very responsive box with a strong sound, but didn't "do it" to me.  Tried most of what was there in D/G - Excelsiola had a really impressive "in your face" (or ear, perhaps) tone, but I wouldn't want to live with it domestically, the Casta's, Saltarelles and others were OK, but didn't really attract me. 

In the end, the only box that really attracted my attention was an Excelsior Mini Special - tiny, light box with a really bright, lively tone (not overwhelmed by the bass, which I think was an octave higher than most) along with 4th button start, if I remember correctly.  Having noted it as a possibility, I tried a Lilly, but that seemed to have a more "shrill" tone - didn't like it as much. Came home to research the Mini further before investing. 

It was only when I got back here I realised the Mini was single voice (which, if asked before I tried it, I would have dismissed out-of-hand)! 

So there we have it - eBay is off the agenda for the moment, and, if I don't find many negative vibes about the Mini, I might go that way.  The sound is quite different to the Pokerwork, so I get something new, along with the extra low notes I fancied.

Again, comments welcome!

Tony M

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 06:30:20 PM »

It was I that had the Viktoria re-reeded and restored by Theo, although I think Pip changed the layout a bit. It certainly plays well and sounds good.  I'd never describe it as heavy, but most of my playing has been done on boxes that weigh in at over 5kg.  Ganderbox of this parish bought my other Viktoria (identical but C/F) she may have a view on weight. 

Reasons for "upgrading" from a Pokerwork?  You want a different sound e.g. Italian reeds, more voices? You want more flexibility in terms of basses, accidentals, reversals, bass stops.... You like the idea of a cool looking wooden box.... Sorting out where you want to go and the decision about the (next) box to buy will be easier.

But a  deep philosophical level, each box you buy creates a small square vacuum in the space time continuum which can only be filled by another box.

I am worried though, my MAD is in remission I am totally content with my two boxes.... except I can't wait for Theo to do the conversion to G/C on the Casta and I've starting to discuss a change of layout with Bernard on the Loffet........
Nick

Tony M

• Good talker
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »

Thanks for the info - the Viktoria looks like a nice box but, after today's investigations, I think I'll stick with something smaller for the moment.

As to why "upgrade", I know the Pokerwork is no masterpiece - I bought it to try the melodeon, and I've never enjoyed any instrument so much.  I guess changing is mostly about having something a bit different, progressing a bit.  The original thought process said 4th button start, maybe an extra voice, maybe a stop at either end, maybe some additional accidentals - each bit provides something further in capability terms, and moving onto a better-built box likewise.   Having gone out and tried a few different boxes, I discovered that some of the things I'd identified as "desirable", when combined into a single box, didn't "feel" particularly good to me.  I think the Mini was so appealing because of its lightness, and because the sound is so very different.  If I had to part with the Pokerwork to afford the change, I'm not sure I'd tend to the same choice - but, since I can have them both . . .

It's like many things - there's no one ideal instrument that will do everything I might ever want, so every choice is a compromise.  I went through a similarly unstructured "development" with the accordions: started with an OK-ish Chinese one - then a musette-tuned Pigini, having found what a difference good Italian reeds can make, but the sound doesn't suit some music.  Then a 4-voice, octave tuned Weltmeister 120 bass - huge versatility in sound terms - and then wished it wasn't so heavy! (Keen not to repeat that mistake, actually).

I suppose there's always the occasional urge to change - something about the grass being greener . . .

Cheers,

Tony

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 09:05:18 PM »

Back to MAD. Who knows about the future but for now:
The cairdin seems like it will always be my main box: my main interest is Irish sessions and it seems to fit perfectly.
Perhaps the Hohner was MAD but it fits a niche and when I want a nice french waltz it seems to work--although the neighbour said I sound like Tom Waits, which he says is good but....
But the Bouchard. Ah the Bouchard. It really is like falling in love. I might never get any good on it and i cannot see ever being part of a community that plays such instruments but I just adore it. I want to get it out and look at it. And the sound just puts a big commando trad grin on my face. I cannot see ever getting another box because it would never compare.
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en Ré
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal