Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Picture in ED&S  (Read 4267 times)

JD

• Regular debater
Interesting Picture in ED&S
« on: December 05, 2007, 11:23:06 AM »

The current edition of English Dance and Song contains an article on the Grenoside Sword Dancers. There is a photograph, dated about 1895, of the side with a musician holding what looks like a melodeon or possibly a flutina. I can only remember having seen archive photographs from this period of dance sides with fiddle or concertina.

Would anyone with a copy of the magazine (and possibly sharper eyes than mine) care to comment on what the instrument in the photograph might be?

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
Re: Interesting Picture in ED&S
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:50:55 AM »

I've seen a copy of that picture too. I couldn't work out what it was either. I'm seeing one of the grenoside team next week so will ask him if he can find a better copy of the picture.
Faversham, Kent

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
Re: Interesting Picture in ED&S
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 11:27:29 AM »

I've seen a copy of that picture too. I couldn't work out what it was either. I'm seeing one of the grenoside team next week so will ask him if he can find a better copy of the picture.

Joe Dunn from Grenoside came up to give a talk to Newcastle Kingsmen on Wednesday, and had a copy of that picture with him. It looks like it's definiteley a flutina, although the date on the back of the photograph Joe had said it was taken in 1938, even though it was the same one as in the magazine (I've seen a copy of the magazine so I know it's the same picture!)
Faversham, Kent
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal