Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aimoo forum  (Read 10612 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Aimoo forum
« on: November 12, 2007, 02:36:22 PM »

Quote from: Theo
(in the News forum that, it appears, you cannot post replies in) The old forum at aimoo.com is missing completely this morning.  Aimoo had announced that they were converting all their boards to a new version of their software with effect from today.  The aimoo.com front page still loads, but carries no message about the site being down for planned maintenance, so I'm assuming they are having technical problems. 

Phew, glad we are are now here.

Actually the old forum is now online and it looks a lot better, and loads a lot quicker, than it used to. But there are loads of bugs - click on just about anything and you'll get an error message of one kind or another. Maybe they will get these sorted out, maybe not - anyway, phew, as Theo said.

Clive, do you still have plans to crawl the old forum and preserve the discussions in some way or other?

Fi

• A Saltarelle Connemara II and a few Hohners...
Re: Aimoo forum
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:39:43 PM »

However I'm having entirely the opposite experience with Aimoo (I said here http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,24.msg225.html#msg225 so won't repeat myself!)

So, yes, Phew!

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:10:12 AM »

Well ... I still have a messageboard over on aimoo which didn't get away with minutes to spare like this one did!  I think melodeon.net must be charmed to have had such an escape without knowing what could have happened.

My duo forum (spiersandboden.aimoo.com) if it ever works again, has completely been decimated by the new aimoo upgrade.  The membership has completely disappeared and all the formatting had reverted to a default setting yesterday as well as showing everyone the trash bin and working as slow as a dial-up connection.  Today, however, it's not even there (neither is melodeon.net) - I have all but given up on them - and will be moving the S&B messageboard as soon as time permits.

I think that Aimoo have been taken over by a company with no interest in keeping any kind of customer service going.  I also suspect them of fraudulently taking payments with no prospect of providing a working service any more.

So - once again - congratulations to Theo & co for really getting out in the nick of time.  The Spiers & Boden/Bellowhead thing is just a fan site and as such can probably recover - but it would have been disastrous if this had happened to melodeon.net
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Fi

• A Saltarelle Connemara II and a few Hohners...
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 11:44:57 AM »

Spiers & Boden is  now called Chesapeake Bay Fishing (not)  :o What would have become of us!

Hope you manage to sort it Squeezy, I should think most of us who post there are on My Space and/or Facebook , so very findable for advertising a new shiny message board to.

And hope you're having a good tour :).

Cheers

Fi

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 02:56:44 PM »

It just seems that we've got out at a good time. It's interesting watching the old faces slowly appear on this new site, a bit like "Autumn Watch" with Bill Oddie spotting the swans and geese arriving at Martin Mere (near where I live) for the winter........

Anyway, back to the hide to wait for George Garside.

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 04:49:29 PM »

;D ;D ;D

With a little digging through Aimoo's turgid bowels, I found 'em again...

Our old forum is here:-

http://forum1.aimoo.com/melodeon

Spiers & Boden forum is now here:-

http://forum1.aimoo.com/spiersandboden

Panic over - for now...

Ed J

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 09:50:56 AM »

Thanks EeJay for uncovering that. 

Things have improved a bit over at aimoo.  Instead of a complete disaster its now just a bit of a mess.  The old links now redirect to the new forum which seems to work but:
  • There is a new theme!
  • Administrator functions aren't available
  • Posts made after November 4th are missing

But at least it is there and you can see the old discussions.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 06:16:10 PM »

Clive, do you still have plans to crawl the old forum and preserve the discussions in some way or other?

Yes, but now the forums have been changed, my old strategy is going to need tweaking. I'm hoping something similar will work, but haven't had time to look at it fully yet. Frankly, the Aimoo performance since the upgrade has been so bad I'd think my webspider would probably bring the site down... so I'm leaving it for a bit to see if it stabalises. I was also hoping their promised admin database backup feature would appear - because there's an outside chance that would be an easier way of doing it. No sign of it, though. Can't believe Aimoo have messed up their business so badly - I can't understand why they would possibly jump to such a flaky software release.

Cheers,

Clive

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Where have all the edits gone?
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 01:32:35 AM »

Don't know what you've done Theo, but on the old forum the posts in topics now appear in the correct order. But, reviewing an old thread I had contributed to, I noticed that in a post I had edited to correct something I said, the original erroneous wording appeared - no sign of the edit.

If this is happening everywhere, it's very unfortunate - it means that things we said and then regretted are now reinstated for the entire world to see in perpetuity! :-[

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 08:38:46 AM »

Hi Steve

That is indeed unfortunate.

However I think we should thank our lucky stars we got out of Aimoo when we did.   Its a month now since their half-baked software "upgrade"  and although most of it now works, its still a poor system.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »

I think we should thank our lucky stars we got out of Aimoo when we did.

Amen to that!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal