Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Safe downloading Youtube vids?  (Read 6319 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Safe downloading Youtube vids?
« on: September 19, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »

Hi All,
I find some of the melodeon playing on Youtube, ( tune of the month etc. ) really helpful and inspiring.
I find it's often early evening when I get the chance to listen, but by then the net seems to slow I can't listen to them cos they stop/stall etc. It's really annoying.
I was wondering if I could download Youtube vid's, so I googled it.
There was a load of free software, so I headed to my trustworthy site for all things free, CNet. Reading some reviews I realised that the software worked, but it messed badly with your web explorer and allowed in spyware. Another came with a free trojan!
The Youtube site seemd a cess pit too..... I simply didn't trust anything on it.

So....anyone got a simple safe reliable method for downloading them?

thanks peeps
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

HallelujahAl

Re: Safe downloading Youtube vids?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:24:02 AM »

If you have RealPlayer that enables you to download youtube vids quite safely.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »

I use Flash and Video Download addon for Firefox and it works well and seems perfectly trustworthy, on Linux at least. I tried one or two others and this was first one that worked well enough that I've simply left it installed.

I'd guess that as it's on the Mozilla web site it's reasonably likely to be safe.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:53:27 AM »

If you have RealPlayer that enables you to download youtube vids quite safely.

That of course means that you have to endure the horrors of RealPlayer, something that thankfully for me is a long ago memory.

I use a little script called "youtube-dl" to watch youtube videos. It's here:

http://bitbucket.org/rg3/youtube-dl/wiki/Home

It's a script for use on GNU/Linux, just copy the "youtube-dl" file into the  /usr/local/bin directory and make it executable. Then in whichever shell you use you just need to put in "youtube-dl http://youtube-url" (without the quotes of course), and the video will be downloaded into whichever directory you are presently in.

I use the -t modifier ie. "youtube-dl -t http://youtube-url" as it then uses the video title for the file name, which is more convenient than the youtube file name. There are also options for resuming downloads, downloading different formats etc.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 12:59:41 PM »

thansk for the replies.
I do have Real Player, it's on my Start > Programmes list, but somehow doesn't open..... not sure why.

Anahata - I'm a IE user and am trying to avoid using another we browser, but concede I might have to!

Andrew - Errr... sounds good but I'm a bit lost on exactly what to do! I'm not that computer literate and feel a bit lost.

So, it's looking like sorting out Real Player or Andrew's prog's.

Will return to this later when fortified with lunch!
( and a quick squeeze )
thanks all
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Kautilya

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 01:05:47 PM »

I use Flash and Video Download addon for Firefox and it works well and seems perfectly trustworthy, on Linux at least. I tried one or two others and this was first one that worked well enough that I've simply left it installed.

I'd guess that as it's on the Mozilla web site it's reasonably likely to be safe.

yes dead easy - once installed and when a video is playing (and if that video IS downloadable)it shows as three coloured pawnrbroker balls on the upper left of the screen.

one click on the arrow for the menu and hit download - takes seconds.
same source as Anahata mentioned.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3590/

gave up on IE some time ago as firefox was three times faster and less virus issues altho some say IE has improved........

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 01:26:51 PM »

Andrew - Errr... sounds good but I'm a bit lost on exactly what to do! I'm not that computer literate and feel a bit lost.

Sorry, I should have added at the beginning ... I use GNU/Linux and I can't really comment on what to do on other operating systems so maybe not much help for you, but someone else may find the following usefull.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »

gave up on IE some time ago as firefox was three times faster and less virus issues altho some say IE has improved........

SRWare Iron FTW!!!
That's the excellent Google Chrome with some privacy issues taken out, but you have to tweak it
to get flash to play.
Both are much faster than Firefox.
Opera is good too.
But actually I suspect I may have to open Firefox if I want to download a video.
Or maybe I'll try youtube-dl, since I have the platform to run that.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 04:09:11 PM »

Ok ITguru's,  can I run Firefox as well as IE, and simply click on whichever one I was to open?
( will they clash or anything?)
I did have trouble a couple of months back when another user on my machine ( wife I think! ) downloaded something quick and miised the ' download Chrome' tickbox so it downloaded and selected itself as my browser. I immediately took it off and that caused all sorts of hiccups cos it labelled a system file something else, and so it affected other things like Outlook. I can't remember exact details. I had to roll back vista to sort it.
Hence me being twitchy about other browsers!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 04:13:41 PM »

Ok ITguru's,  can I run Firefox as well as IE, and simply click on whichever one I was to open?
( will they clash or anything?)
I did have trouble a couple of months back when another user on my machine ( wife I think! ) downloaded something quick and miised the ' download Chrome' tickbox so it downloaded and selected itself as my browser. I immediately took it off and that caused all sorts of hiccups cos it labelled a system file something else, and so it affected other things like Outlook. I can't remember exact details. I had to roll back vista to sort it.
Hence me being twitchy about other browsers!
Q

Yep

I run Chrome for day to day use because it is really fast, Firefox because it runs one site that Chrome refuses to make work properly (SatMap) and the Sainted Mrs Bailey uses IE because she "likes the font". They all happily coexist.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 04:32:52 PM »

They all happily coexist.

Yes. The only thing they jostle for a bit is to be your "default browser" (which mostly means which one is used when you double click on a local HTML file or link in an email) but you can choose one and tell them all stop pestering you.

The other thing I use Firefox for is the "web developer" extension which is useful for debugging web pages I've created which aren't displaying right and I can't tell why.

LDbosca

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 04:55:33 PM »

www.zamzar.com/url

Emailed to you hassle-free.

Tony M

• Good talker
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 07:09:07 PM »

An interesting thread - 'cos I'd always thought it was impossible to download and store the videos!

Tried the Python-based downloader, and got it to work in Vista - but it's a bit clunky (back to a DOS style interface).  There was a link to an associated page with a Windows executable version, but Norton didn't like that.

It never crossed my mind that there'd be a Firefox add-on for this - I installed the 1-Click You Tube video downloader 1.5, and it seems to work fine - and the resultant .flv files (other options are available) work OK in the latest free version of Winamp.

Seems like a good option for those (like me) who like things simple!

Impressed - thanks all, for sharing the info.

Tony M.

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 07:18:10 PM »

I use a little script called "youtube-dl" to watch youtube videos.
I didn't know that one. Thanks!

HallelujahAl

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 08:02:36 PM »

I use video-clips downloaded from youtube sometimes as part of my preachments - for which I need to be able to insert them into my powerpoint applications. To do that I need to be able to convert the flv files into something like WMV format for them to run in ppt. RealPlayer - pain as it is - gives me, as well an extremely easy download facility, a file converter also for free which enables my files to be better utilised. That's why I use RealPlayer. I found that mucking around with flv files was just too much of a pain when it came to tying to get them to play in anything Microsoft(y).
AL

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 08:48:53 PM »

I use video-clips downloaded from youtube sometimes as part of my preachments
AL

So I looked up preachments, as it was new to me, and it offered:

A tiresome or unwelcome moral lecture or discourse; tedious sermonizing.

But I am sure that is not you  >:E

HallelujahAl

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 09:11:06 PM »

A tiresome or unwelcome moral lecture or discourse; tedious sermonizing
Yep just checked with my kids - they reckon that's about right  ;)

Kautilya

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 11:19:32 PM »

It never crossed my mind that there'd be a Firefox add-on for this - I installed the 1-Click You Tube video downloader 1.5, and it seems to work fine - and the resultant .flv files (other options are available) work OK in the latest free version of Winamp.

Seems like a good option for those (like me) who like things simple!

Tony M.
That's why I use it too!!!!! And why I am desperately seeking a melodeon which also has only one button  you have to press and it plays any tune.......... ;) ;)

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 08:21:10 AM »

And why I am desperately seeking a melodeon which also has only one button  you have to press and it plays any tune.......... ;) ;)
You could try a Hohner Magic Organa.  ;)
Edit: here's how to play it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkee_fx3ChY
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:24:14 AM by Simon »

Kautilya

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »

And why I am desperately seeking a melodeon which also has only one button  you have to press and it plays any tune.......... ;) ;)
You could try a Hohner Magic Organa.  ;)
Edit: here's how to play it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkee_fx3ChY
All our brown paper wrapping is re-used in the outside netty, so we threw away all the organa rolls  coz they were full of holes.....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal