Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safe downloading Youtube vids?  (Read 6320 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Safe downloading Youtube vids?
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »

Hi All,
sorry for my delay - have been to practise last night  :M
... and only briefly caught up with things tonight.

OK ..... have tried a couple of things, but last night downloaded Firefox and the video download addon.
After a very quick play I'm now the proud pwner of a certain Nutter of this parish playing some damn fine tunes!
Excellent. That works well.

I've had another play quickly tonight - I realise I can do a 'quick download' and a 'normal' download. I have inadvertantly downloaded two copies ( one normal, one quick ) of the same vid and realise the quick version is 10Mb, the normal 40Mb.
I couldn't see any difference at first glance between both, but realise the larger one will fill my hard drive up more quickly.
Any thoughts on 'normal' v's 'quick' ?

....and thanks for the advice.
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 09:05:05 PM »

All our brown paper wrapping is re-used in the outside netty, so we threw away all the organa rolls  coz they were full of holes.....

What a waste!  You could have used them in the kitchen for straining fruit to make jelly.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Kautilya

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 09:35:11 PM »

All our brown paper wrapping is re-used in the outside netty, so we threw away all the organa rolls  coz they were full of holes.....

What a waste!  You could have used them in the kitchen for straining fruit to make jelly.
Straining is not good for you.. dont  you watch "Embarrassing bodies" >:E

Kautilya

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 11:07:51 AM »

Any thoughts on 'normal' v's 'quick' ?

....and thanks for the advice.
cheers
Q
I keep hitting wrong one too...  for copy practising I think the fast is as good probably but have to admit I go for the (big) one mainly at the top of the list....
Another trick if it is does not give a file name to save.

After opening the youutbe, copy the name of the youtube item (e,g, summertime by D. Owen Pwr)
open and hit the download and paste the name of the music into filename offered, save to my music.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »

ahh so it's not just me that hits the wrong version!
To be fair haven't had time to properly check it out due to other issues going on at present.
I did load a vid and it went into Quicktime and opened up nicely. It came down as a MPEG-4 movie.
I seem to have chosen another that's downloaded as a .flv file and into Windows applicationwhich doesn't open up as nice.
Any thoughts?
cheer
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Howard Jones

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 12:41:34 AM »

I have an occasional problem when watching Youtube (on the website, I don't try to download the file).  Sometimes, without warning, the PC will simply power off.  Bang - instant shut-down.  It only seems to happen when I'm on Youtube.  I'm rather cautious about watching it these days, and make sure I've saved any open work.

I use Firefox.  I've scanned my system for nasties.  Any suggestions what's causing it, and how to stop it?

Kautilya

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 01:38:43 AM »

I have an occasional problem when watching Youtube (on the website, I don't try to download the file).  Sometimes, without warning, the PC will simply power off.  Bang - instant shut-down.  It only seems to happen when I'm on Youtube.  I'm rather cautious about watching it these days, and make sure I've saved any open work.

I use Firefox.  I've scanned my system for nasties.  Any suggestions what's causing it, and how to stop it?
Have you cleaned your hard drives and caches recently - had that a long time ago when I had only a few MB left and I did not think about cleaning and the PC (laptop) shut down.
It is like when you want to defragment a drive to put all empty space together = if you dont have more than x per cent freee it cannot do it without stuff being deleted.
crapcleaner (ccleaner) but make sure you do not tick all the boxes - go through and choose.
if you remove the autofills in the cleanup it will remove (e.g.) your auto fill in login names for melnet (not the password which u have to put in each time anyway but your member name.
http://www.piriform.com/
then also go to your hard drive (C: in my computer) right click on it and select cleanup but again dont tick all the boxes - be conservative

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »

More important than the browser is which operating system you're using. But if it crashes I guess it's Windows  ;)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 12:11:06 PM »

Despite recommendations here, I did chat to a couple of friends before downloading Firefox, as I knew there were several users in my morris side.
One long term user did have problems recently, but thinks he's sorted it out. In general he's pleased, it seems to have had  glitch recently ( new version? ). My other mate got into problems trying to remove it after girlfriend inadvertantly downloaded it by mistake.
In then end I've downloaded it merely as a means to an end - downloading Youtube vid's of box players mainly from here as a learning tool. I'm not sure of the techie details of the problems, just aware ' there has been some issues...'
But it seems to be fine with me!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 08:36:09 PM »

I strongly suspect that's a physical thing going wrong with the computer, not the operating system whichever that is.

Personally I'd check inside the casing and clean away dust and fluff, especially around the CPU and the power supply unit. Compressed air is best for this, and do remember to unplug it!.

Computers will automatically shut down when they overheat, it's a safety mechanism. I've had this happen especially with laptops. Opening a Youtube video may be working your CPU harder and that creates heat. Adobe Flash is notorious for being bad for security, eating up computer resources and making systems unstable.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 02:53:50 PM »

So....anyone got a simple safe reliable method for downloading them?

I'm currently experimenting with this: http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/

... the only thing I've found that downloads a youtube playlist. It comes with the obligatory 'free toolbar', but you don't have to install that if you don't want to.

Initial impressions of it... very good - exactly what I was looking for in fact.

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 03:39:55 PM »

They don't even mention for which operating system their software is :-\

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 03:58:52 PM »

They don't even mention for which operating system their software is :-\

;D Whoops! I'm running it on Windows7.

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 04:42:14 PM »

A tiresome or unwelcome moral lecture or discourse; tedious sermonizing
Yep just checked with my kids - they reckon that's about right  ;)

My father called them Sermonettes, Which is a diminutive of Sermon.  Problem is that there was nothing diminutive about them
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal