Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to find out some information on accordion  (Read 4328 times)

unbeausaumon

• New Starter
Trying to find out some information on accordion
« on: September 20, 2010, 06:14:33 PM »

I'm not very familiar with accordions but I am trying to find out some information for my grandmother about an accordion that her father owned. I don't know what would be the correct part of the forum to post this in so I'm putting it in the general discussion.

It's a M. Hohner L'organola made in Germany. I need to look at the instrument some more to find anything like a serial number. I'm having a hard time finding information on the organolas. The only info I can find are about ones from 1938. I know for a fact though that this one is from before 1935. Her father got it before he ever got married and he got married in 1935. It's still playable (my grandmother was playing it the other day) and has the case. I think she wanted to find out its value if it has any.

Does anyone know anything about the organolas? Or know a site that I can be directed to that would tell me more?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Trying to find out some information on accordion
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:38:03 PM »

L'organola was a name that Hohner used in the late 20s and into the 30s,  I think they may have inherited the name from one of the companies they bought out.  It was used on a variety of different models, I've seen it on a curved keyboard piano accordion,  and it was also used on more conventional model piano accordions,  and I think on button accordions too

If you can post a picture we may be able to pinpoint which version you have.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:52:19 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:43:04 PM »

According to the Jimmy Shand biography, Hohner made a 3-row, 34 treble, 80-bass BCC# button accordion for Jimmy Shand in 1934. They labelled it "L'Organola", a name they had previously used for piano accordions. Jimmy Shand used it for his early Beltona recordings.

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:47:10 PM »

In addition to the posh curved keyboard model, I've seen both a Hohner-built chromatic button accordion and a simple piano box (which was basically a Carmen) bearing the L'Organola name and sold through a US distributor.

Fungusface

• SAOR ALBA
  • Respected Sage
  • SAOR ALBA
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 12:52:16 PM »

There is an old guy named Jock Malcolm of Balmalcolm near Freuchie played a Organola fer years it was a 3 row and he was looking for a 2 row he has had before I listed his phone number in Flaxey Green and in Rees noticeboard for a whiley,he was only offered one but it was in Germany.as far as I know old Jock still wants one,he is about 86 he had played since he was 10.
If you wish peace, friendship, and quietness: listen and look and read

george garside

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 03:29:52 PM »

Jimmy Shand played a  two row 23 treble 36 bass L'Organolla  in the early thirties & possibly made his first recordings  with it.  He moved on to a 3 row 80 bass  version in around 1934  & used this untill the prototype Shand Morino came in 1939

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal