Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3/2 Hornpipes  (Read 1469 times)

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
3/2 Hornpipes
« on: September 22, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »

Hi
I'd like to learn The Old Lancashire Hornpipe but I have absolutely no idea what to do with the Left hand. I tried studying Youtube but the Videos available are soooooooooooooo fast. So I'd be very very grateful to  any one who could give me a few hints, make very slow videos etc

cheers Louise

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: 3/2 Hornpipes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:31:14 PM »

Hi
I'd like to learn The Old Lancashire Hornpipe but I have absolutely no idea what to do with the Left hand. I tried studying Youtube but the Videos available are soooooooooooooo fast. So I'd be very very grateful to  any one who could give me a few hints, make very slow videos etc

cheers Louise

Try playing Rusty Gully (from the TOTM board) first, and change into Lancashire Hornpipe, trying to bring the rhythm of the first tune into the second. That might get you going...

Cheers,

Clive

Howard Jones

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 06:41:36 PM »

The 3/2 rhythm is three minims in a bar, so you can fit in three left hand "oom-pahs" :

| d           d           d          |  d          d           d         |

oom-pah oom-pah oom-pah   oom-pah oom-pah oom-pah

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:33:14 PM »

Plain Oom-pa works but doesn't really enhance the rhythmic structure of 3/2 hornpipes.

It may help to observe that the rhythm tends to follow this pattern:
 2 2 2 | 1 2 1 1 1 |
(the B music of Rusty Gully starts with exactly that rhythm, so does the begiining of "Alla Hornpipe" from Handel's Water Music
Also that they are syncopated, so where those off-the-main beat notes occur, you can emphasise them.

To this end I often hit bass and chord together on the beat in the   2 2 2  bar, and play a run of bass notes only in the second half of the  1 2 1 1 1 bar.

I'd stick up a Youtube of Old Lancashire to demonstrate but I'm really too busy for the next week...

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal