Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where buy double sided adhesive rubber plates for C516ML microphone?  (Read 5738 times)

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog

I use a clip-on AKG C516 microphone. Anybody know where I can buy the double sided adhesive rubber plates used under the mounting bracket - shop or website?
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Where buy double sided adhesive rubber plates for C516ML microphone?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 04:06:01 PM »

I have these mics (actually, the C416 version which is essentially the same). I use velcro pads - self adhesive on one side. The furry bits stick on to the melodeon, the hooky bits stick on the underside of the microphone mounting plate. You can buy the velcro in sheet form (about A5 size), or else as a strip on a roll about 1 inch wide, from the craft/haberdashery dept. of any good department store (e.g. John Lewis). You can cut the pads to the shape and size you need.

Remember to clean any residual grease off the surfaces with a cloth slightly dampened in white spirit, before you stick on the velcro. That way you get the best bond strength. The pads on my instrument have withstood numerous attaching and removal cycles of the velcro, and the adhesive has remained firm.

A further bonus is that the velcro-velcro bond is quite soft and flexible and doesn't seem to transmit much mechanical acoustic noise up to the microphone shaft.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 09:20:45 PM »

I used to use the C416 mics and got spare mounts for various boxes from Bernard Loffet.  I fixed them using double sided rubber pads cut to suit - the kind used to attach a mirror to the windscreen. 

I gave up on the mics as I had to repair the broken gooseneck bases and wiring every second usage.

I now use two AKG C1000s on short stands.  Much better sound, but don't comment on the dancers - they'll hear you!

Rob.

Mike Averill

• suffering from MAD
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 09:41:41 PM »

They leave a horrible sticky residue on the box. Best avoided. Go for a mike stand
Hohner - 1 row 4 stop C and G, pokerwork DG, DoubleRay DC#, Corso CC#, Corona III ADG, CLUB X CF, Elysium II CF
Saltarelle 1 row 4 stop D, Castagnari Giordy DG, Sander DG
Sonola CC#, Walters DC#

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »

Hi,
Try the tape used to fix number plates,very very strong adhesive,
Sandy,is it for your Pigini,I made a wooden mount for my daughters when she had her p36,it fixed using the grill screw with the AKG plate screwed onto it.
I will see if she kept it when she sold the box,she now uses internal mic in her Manfrini,the new Musictech units are much better than the old ones,it may be spare.If it is will send it to you to make one like it.

Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »

May I please tap in to this, as miking has been on my 'too hard' list for some time. I really only need it for my local Blues club where all the guitars are amplified and the Saxophones were - well 'saxophones'  :Ph   I felt very lonely with my little acoustic melodeon. Don't really want to mark or chisel at my pretty boxes and was thinking of strapping a mike to my wrist - as blues is very much right end music.

Am I being daft? Do I need a pre-amp? Is a condenser mike suitable? Has anyone solved this already?
  _       _    _      _ 

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
    • Martyn White Melodeon Tuning and Repairs
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 11:18:20 AM »

I use a clip-on AKG C516 microphone. Anybody know where I can buy the double sided adhesive rubber plates used under the mounting bracket - shop or website?
I use a flat piece of Bluetack (well it's actually white bought from the poundshop) on both my Jeffries anglos and my melodeons. I find it works very well and leaves no marks. I take the mic holders off after every gig - just a twist rather than a pull and they're off.

Martyn
'Anything from a small repair to a full restoration'.
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 11:37:02 AM »

y if you're interested mostly in only the right-hand end, then best bet is an ordinary (e.g. vocal) mic on a stand.

Mic on a stand - yes,  vocal mic on a stand no!  Generally speaking mic's for stage vocals are designed to be used very close to the sound source, ie the singers mouth.  Its not practical for several reasons to get similarly close to a melodeon or other instrument, so you need a mic (on a stand)  that is designed to work with instruments.   Any shop selling sound gear will be able to advise, the choice is enormous.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 12:21:25 PM »

There are two main factors:

Cardioid/hypercardioid/omnidirectional refers to the directional properties of the mic.   Virtually all stage mics are cardioid or hypercardioid,  which helps to make them less prone to feedback.

The transducer with in the mic is usually either dynamic or electret/condenser.  The two types have different properties:

Dynamic - lower sensitivity, need no power supply, generally give a warmer sound and are commonly used in vocal micas
Electret/condenser - more sensitive there fore can pick up from a greater distance, tend to have a flatter frequency response, the mic needs a power supply to operate, may be a built in battery, or phantom power from a mixing desk. Most instrument mics are this type.

Having said that there are big differences between makes and models of the same type.  One longstanding favourite instrument mic is the AKG C1000S but there are many others.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:23:59 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 01:38:03 PM »

There have been various animated discussions on this topic. I'm sure others will be happy to give their views. Mine is that if you're mostly playing in a static position, e.g. sitting down, and especially if you're interested mostly in only the right-hand end, then best bet is an ordinary (e.g. vocal) mic on a stand. If you're moving around at all then a clip-on mic (or pair - one at each end)  is worth considering. The akg C516 which was the initial subject of this thread is not bad as a mic, and can be attached to the box is a non-destructive way, e.g. using the blu-tac like stuff that comes with it. It does need a pre-amp though, which is a bit of a pain. akg produce their own which comes with a belt clip.
Of course whatever type of mic you use you will need a power amp and speaker to produce the sound. If you can't tap into someone else's, then you'll need to look also at buying some kind of amp/speaker combo. There are plenty around, ranging from around £100 to about £15zillion.
A good place to browse for various alternatives and their prices is Thomann.

Speaking with my sound man hat on, if you want to hear the bass end (and if you don't, why are you playing a melodeon?) a stand mic is a pain since the volume varies as the bass end moves, you can't get it close and consistent enough and turning the gain up leads to feedback. If you don't want to stick pads onto your melodeon(s) you could fasten a gooseneck+clip type mic onto the bottom of the bass end strap -- I use this one, has very good bass response:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_opus_82_set.htm -- includes phantom-powered preamp, robust, sounds good on box
http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_ws97.htm -- needed for outdoors to prevent wind noise, and noise from air button use!

For the right hand I'd recommend a hypercardioid (easier to prevent feedback from stage monitors) on a stand, clip-ons are usually too close to get even pickup across all the reeds.  Keep about a foot away to get even pickup and reduce action noise, a melodeon's loud enough that it doesn't need to be nearer (in spite of what sound guys tell you ;-) Dynamic or condenser both work fine so long as the mic is good quality and has a reasonably flat response.

Even with loud melodeon in  the foldback I don't have any feedback problem with this setup.

Ian
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:42:32 PM by IanD »
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 04:28:42 PM »

For band work I use a Shure SM57 on the treble end, and a Microvox swan neck inside the bass end with capsule adjacent to an air hole so it's acoustically equivalent to being just outside the hole. The bass mic is attached to a phono socket on the melodeon.

I used to use a Beyer M201, which is a very nice hypercardioid dynamic, but I found the SM57 sounded just as good and as we don't need high foldback levels (no drums in the band) feedback is never a problem.

For concerts with Mary I ask for mics L and R for all squeezeboxes (includes several 1-rows and concertina), and on the rare occasions when we have to supply our own PA for a concert performance I use Behringer C2's for the purpose - a condenser mic that's unbelievably good at about £45 a pair.

I still can't understand why sound guys use SM58s as instrument mics.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 04:37:53 PM »

I still can't understand why sound guys use SM58s as instrument mics.

Many of them do most of their work with rock and pop bands, and have very limited experience of acoustic instruments.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 06:25:56 PM »

... and on the rare occasions when we have to supply our own PA for a concert performance I use Behringer C2's for the purpose - a condenser mic that's unbelievably good at about £45 a pair.
Yes - I have a pair of these too. They are great for ceilidh band work and much less feedback-prone (and far cheaper) than the AKG C1000s (>£90 each!) which I have also used. The C1000s are better quality maybe, but in a ceilidh situation the difference in sound between them and the Behringer C2s is not noticeable.

I don't use the AKG C416 gooseneck mics much these days. The sound quality is good and feedback problems are almost non-existent, but as Rob2hook has already commented, they are so delicate and vulnerable to damage to the thin cables.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Sandy Flett

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 06:55:56 PM »

Sandy,is it for your Pigini,I made a wooden mount for my daughters when she had her p36,it fixed using the grill screw with the AKG plate screwed onto it.
I will see if she kept it when she sold the box,she now uses internal mic in her Manfrini,the new Musictech units are much better than the old ones,it may be spare.If it is will send it to you to make one like it.
Pete

Pete, thanks for the info/offer. It is for my P36, but the bass end. If you do find your bespoke mount maybe you could send me a photo, thanks.

Sandy Flett

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will try the velcro idea, on an old box first.

Interesting "thread expansion" - glad to stimulate discussion of an area of obvious interest.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 07:50:04 AM »

Hi Sandy,
Sorry,block went with the accordion,it was made to fit on side of front grill shaped to go on the flat edge then a recess allowed grill screw to hold in place.Mounting plate then screwed to the block,

Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »

Played a gig on Saturday night and the sound man had splashed out on some expensive new mikes: instead of my trusty SM57, I - and the two other melody players, flute and fiddle - had one of these hot little yokes. Fantastic - we've never sounded so good. But pricey - something like US $800 a pop.  :-\

As Rob said above about the AKG C1000s, they will pick up everything you say from quite a distance. Which makes using them more comfortable because you don't have to be glued to the mike. That is why the sound man chose them, in fact: he will shortly be doing the sound for an uilleann piping festival and has found in the past that pipers are very prone to moving the various bits of their instrument around as they play, with the result that using more conventional instrument mikes the sound frequently lurches from deafening to inaudible.

Earthworks make a cheaper model, the SR-20 which, he says, should do the job well too.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal