Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Conor Keane CD soundfiles  (Read 9666 times)

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
Conor Keane CD soundfiles
« on: April 30, 2008, 03:03:25 AM »

I've been enjoying listening to the tunes off Conor's CD 'Joao de Deus' at www.malbaystudios.com [see the link to streaming audio on right-hand side of page]  and thought I'd share this with everybody.

The recording captures the beautifully sweet tone of his box (and his playing!). The high notes on Anderson's reel [track 5] are the smoothest I've heard from any box. Joe Derrane's jigs are magic too.

I reckon I should get paid for these gushing advertisements ...  :)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Conor Keane CD soundfiles
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »

Code: [Select]
T:Star of Brittany
M:3/4
L:1/4
C:Conor Keane
R:Waltz
Z:Steve Jones 5 March 2008
K:Bm
f|:f2f|e2d|cBA|B3|fef|gab|
abg|fga|b>c'b|agf|efd|c>BA|
B>cd|c>dc|B2A|[1B2f:|[2B/c/d/e/f/a/:|!
b3|b>c'b|a2f|d/e/f/g/a/f/|g2g|g>ag|
f2B|B/c/d/e/f/g/|e2e|efe|def|agf|
e2e|efd|c3|[1B/c/d/e/f/a/:|[2cdc|B>cd|c>BA|(B3|B2)||

This is pretty much what he plays on the first recording I heard, this very romantic clip on YouTube (I think bars 6 & 7 vary a bit on the CD version).

Old Leaky

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:54:11 PM »

The man in action (though not from this album): http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?topic=609.0

After seeing him in person, having up till then never heard of him, let alone heard him play, I bought his two earlier albums "Oidhreacht" (Heritage) and "Cooley's House". Neither that readily available, the former is an entirely solo affair and now one of my desert island discs.  Custy's in Ennis, Co. Clare managed to get a copy from Conor himself who just happened to be in the shop around the time I enquired about it.  Er, it looked as if Conor had his breakfast off it!  Custy's sent me a "Cooley's House" in lieu and I managed to get another copy elsewhere.

tucks

• Saltarelle Nuage C#/D and Castagnari Max D/G/C
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:38:45 PM »

I wouldn't mind a copy of 'Oidhreacht' I can't find it anywhere..

Mr Old Leaky do you have mp3s? ;)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 04:31:31 PM »

I wouldn't mind a copy of 'Oidhreacht' I can't find it anywhere..

Mr Old Leaky do you have mp3s? ;)

tut tut Tucks, asking for mp3s of a published CD is a bit naughty, especially when the poster said he managed to get a copy of the CD.  Much better to ask where he got the CD.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

tucks

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:56:27 PM »

Yeah point taken.... but i only asked because I cant find it anywhere
...and I really love Joao de Deus

If anyone could help me find it (..Oidhreacht that is) Then I'd be most grateful..

Old Leaky

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 11:07:28 PM »

Ah, I remember now! I got it from "The Living Tradition" www.folkmusic.net. It's still listed at 12GBP.   I'd have been happy to send you the "breakfast" copy but I passed that on to someone else already.

Now, I'm still lookimg for Jackie Daly's "Many's A Wild Night", preferably a bona fide Gael Linn label copy...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 11:11:08 PM by Old Leaky »

tucks

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 07:03:23 AM »

Thanks 'Leaky' put my order in this morning..  ;)

I may be able to help you out with that Jackie Daly CD if you are struggling to find it....

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 11:25:28 AM »

Ah, I remember now! I got it from "The Living Tradition" www.folkmusic.net. It's still listed at 12GBP.   I'd have been happy to send you the "breakfast" copy but I passed that on to someone else already.

Now, I'm still lookimg for Jackie Daly's "Many's A Wild Night", preferably a bona fide Gael Linn label copy...

Does anyone know where I could get Conor's 'Cooley's House' ? his first I think. His stuff is quite elusive

Theo put me on to him a while back and I like his sound. What kind of boxes does he play and what tunings nowadays?
Mike
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

Old Leaky

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 02:45:55 PM »

As I said earlier in this thread, I got my "Cooleys' House" from Custy's www.custysmusic.com. Worth a punt (or should that be euro, groan!).

The box I saw Conor with at last year's "Button Boxes & Moothies" convention in Aberdeen may have been by Bertrand Gaillard?  It was a 23 button C#/D (but with long inside row which has advantages as with minor, logical, mods to just a couple of the low notes you end up with 3 complete octaves for both rows - my VanderAa is set up similarly), and 12 basses (not sure of set up but no doubt maximises use of the "extras", unlike mine - some work coming your way Theo!). I believe he had acquired it from Jackie Daly (who was also on the same weekend but played a Saltarelle Nuage).

PS I don't think M. Gaillard has a website but his contact details can be found here: http://www.cmtra.org/spip.php?article418
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:19:27 PM by Old Leaky »

Old Leaky

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 12:19:32 AM »

I may be able to help you out with that Jackie Daly CD if you are struggling to find it....

I sent you a PM about this (I think!).

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 01:31:21 AM »

The Gaillard box that Conor Keane bought off Jackie Daly and used on Cooley's House is no more. Apparently some vandal stole it from a tent he was staying in on Inishbofin island and pitched it over a cliff, damaging it irreparably. He now plays a Maugein box and is a distributor for same in Ireland. I was told all this by Jackie a few days ago at the Irish Arts week in East Durham NY. 

tucks

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 12:53:51 PM »

'Maugein' - not heard of these before...I see they are french.
Any one have any more info or experience of these boxes?

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 04:25:04 PM »

'Maugein' - not heard of these before...I see they are french. Any one have any more info or experience of these boxes?

They have a good reputation. I think that their main gig is making continental chromatic button boxes and that diatonics are a bit of a sideline for them. They are one of the few manufacturers to make their own bellows, and I believe the reed plates are not waxed to the reed blocks but screwed, with a cork gasket for a seal.

I have read good comments about them on the French yahoo group (diato), but Jackie Daly said he wasn't mad about them and mentioned that they all had stepped keyboards.

Maugein don't have a website but there is some information (in French) about the company here: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/mdcn/maugein.htm

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 05:28:01 PM »

Maugein don't have a website but there is some information (in French) about the company here: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/mdcn/maugein.htm

Maugein have a proper web site now - found it a few weeks back browsing the St Chartier web site...

They have a good reputation. I think that their main gig is making continental chromatic button boxes and that diatonics are a bit of a sideline for them. They are one of the few manufacturers to make their own bellows, and I believe the reed plates are not waxed to the reed blocks but screwed, with a cork gasket for a seal.

Bruno Priez (one of the French diato gurus) has been doing a fair bit of work for them. A fuller inventory of their diatonic boxes can be seen on the Diatonie website... However, as far as I'm aware, Monsieur Priez has also recently designed some specific Irish models, with flat keyboards...

Ed J

Old Leaky

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 10:50:49 PM »

The Gaillard box ... is no more. He now plays a Maugein box...

Yes, having looked at a few of the quoted websites, I now recognise the box he had at Aberdeen as being a Maugein. Is this a relevant site:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/mdcn/maugein.htm#Maugein

tucks

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »

Thanks EeeJay and Steve for that info...
In the hands of Conor Keane they sound like very nice boxes... I guess I just need to learn to play like that!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:11:38 PM by tucks »

Old Leaky

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 09:08:56 PM »

Er, big hands surely help too!  :D

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »

I phoned John at Custy's and he added Conor's 'Cooley's House' to my last mail out. He said he has found a box of CDs! So get 'em now.

Mike
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 05:04:32 PM »

Some nice close-up pics of a Maugein, including internals, to be found on this site:

http://www.diatojo.com/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal