Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for October 2010 - Tunes from Scandinavia  (Read 37077 times)

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
Re: Theme of the Month for October 2010 - Tunes from Scandinavia
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2010, 08:42:12 AM »

How neat to see someone here play the B/C. My husband is learning that, and says that typical Swedish melodeon tunes are very difficult with that tuning. He plays mostly Irish music with it.

Here's my contributions to the Theme of the month. I decided to stand up this time so there's no need to worry about looking pretty... :D

A nice mazurka from Sunne in the south of Värmland, the first tune I learned on the melodeon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkzap7ILu_4

And Reinländer efter Öje, from Norway.

Two nice tunes Susi. Do have the dots or rather the numbers for me ?

Chas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYgY6xxbF-A

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2010, 09:23:45 AM »

Hmmmm I might have received dots on the reinländer at least. If I find them I'll let you know..

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2010, 03:27:02 PM »

Here's my contribution:

Valsen til Christine, (= Waltz for Christine?) which I learned from the playing of Danish melodeon player Carl Erik Lungaard Jensen. I think he wrote it too. I think it's one of the nicest of waltzes, ever. Christine must be a lovely lady, that's all I can say.

I recorded it as a one-and-only take whilst testing out a cheap and cheerful desk-top microphone intended only for speech. It only cost me £7.49 (yes I know, it sounds like it too!) from Staples. So it's a 'warts and all' recording. But not too bad on the whole.

Played on a Hohner Erica in C/F. Rees knows the one....  ;).  I've still got to bush those rattley bass buttons.  :(
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2010, 04:59:55 PM »

I'm learning from all the discussion lately about different 3/4 dance tunes. Your contribution (I gave it a good listen, Steve_freereeder!) and comments about it prompt some questions, if you don't mind. I like how your tune playing breathes naturally, dwelling here and there, where I could imagine a couple varying their steps with a special move. Does that style of waltz have particular places to dwell, so dancers follow more choreography than impulse? Or, can the player more freely express, such as when playing an Air? At my stage of learning, I'm interested in making a tune breathe naturally and dwell in places where I feel it should, but if dancers need more structure, I'd like to learn more about that. :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 05:04:11 PM by pontyrogof »

John C

• Regular debater
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2010, 11:15:31 PM »

Steve,
I just listened to Valsen til Christine and I must say that the way you played that was just lovely, very nice.

John
Saltarelle Laurentide GCF, Saltarelle Cheviot ADG

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2010, 08:34:29 AM »

Steve,
I just listened to Valsen til Christine and I must say that the way you played that was just lovely, very nice.
Thanks, John!  :|bl
I'm learning from all the discussion lately about different 3/4 dance tunes. Your contribution (I gave it a good listen, Steve_freereeder!) and comments about it prompt some questions, if you don't mind. I like how your tune playing breathes naturally, dwelling here and there, where I could imagine a couple varying their steps with a special move. Does that style of waltz have particular places to dwell, so dancers follow more choreography than impulse? Or, can the player more freely express, such as when playing an Air? At my stage of learning, I'm interested in making a tune breathe naturally and dwell in places where I feel it should, but if dancers need more structure, I'd like to learn more about that. :)
Thanks, Lisa! I'm pleased that you liked my playing and that you could imagine the dancers ebbing and flowing with my music. That was something like the effect I had in mind.

I think when playing a tune on your own, as in TotM or ThotM, you do have the freedom to pull it about a bit, to add some expression and rubato. It certainly doesn't have to be played with metronomic precision from start to finish. I was imagining a single couple on the dance floor, who knew the music and who knew the way I would be playing it, and so were able to put their own rubato into the dance moves. And similarly, if I were playing for such a couple I would be able to follow them too, and adapt and instantly react with my tempo according to their moves. Clearly, there's a difference between this sort of playing and, say, the way you would play for a clog- or step-dancer, where the tempo has to be rock-solid.

I played this tune the way I would sing it, with time to take breaths, just as you describe. Thanks for your comments!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2010, 08:37:52 AM »

Yes Steve. I could see them doing the dips and chassis. Well done. I agree with letting yourself loose on the expressionism. (Now there's a word for a squeeze box)

Chas

See you at Witney.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2010, 09:04:03 AM »

Yes Steve. I could see them doing the dips and chassis. Well done. I agree with letting yourself loose on the expressionism. (Now there's a word for a squeeze box)

Chas

See you at Witney.
Thanks, Chas! Yes, see you at Witney. Not long to go now. Will you be bringing your Golden Box?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2010, 09:53:02 AM »

No Steve. Travelling bloody Ryanair. So just the one D/G box and even less socks.

Chas

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »

No Steve. Travelling bloody Ryanair. So just the one D/G box and even less socks.

Chas
just wear all your clothes...you keep warm and save on luggage. ;)

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »

Hehehehe, I chose SAS... since I'm staying for about a week, know there is a direct bus from Heathrow to Oxford, and avoid Ryan Air as much as I can. Don't want to support a company that treats its customers like something the cat dragged in.

Steve: your recording is fabulous!!!!!!!! I'd love to dance to that.

waltzman

« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »

Beautiful waltz, Steve.

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2010, 03:35:16 PM »

Right this is a bit rough, but our group( http://www.spelmanochdansarepadal.dinstudio.se/ ) are trying to get it together on our dance program so I have to try too. And I wanted to get it up on here before summer time ends on Saturday. I have other things to do than just sit at the computer all day. I am just back in from the golf course. Which you can see by my shirt.

You might want to lower the volume on your speakers as I was a bit close to the camera mike.

This is taken from Frifot's CD "Flyt" where it is beautifully sung by Lena Willmark. It's on youtube so search it out and listen.
The song is a poem called, Högsommar (High Summer), by Gabriel Jönsson. About the island of Hven in Oresund. The strip of water between Southern Sweden and Denmark. I have been on Hven and played golf there. It's a beautiful place.

Sommarvalsen = The Summer Waltz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ctNxy5yo5k

Chas

Edited to add Frifot's video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPXBDBgLHXw&feature=related

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:58:34 PM by Fidjit »

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2010, 04:47:26 PM »

This is taken from Frifot's CD "Flyt" where it is beautifully sung by Lena Willmark. It's on youtube so search it out and listen.
The song is a poem called, Högsommar (High Summer), by Gabriel Jönsson. About the island of Hven in Oresund. The strip of water between Southern Sweden and Denmark. I have been on Hven and played golf there. It's a beautiful place.

Sommarvalsen = The Summer Waltz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ctNxy5yo5k

That's terrific! I like to play that tune, too.

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »

fidjit, I left a comment on your vid's page. :)

I like Frifot. Do you know the Finnish group, Loituma? I want to learn Secret Tears.

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2010, 05:01:48 PM »

Thanks for that. I think my computer went "Ping" in the middle of that. :|bl

Cheers :|glug

Chas

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »

Lovely waltz and playing, Chas!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2010, 07:56:06 AM »

Overblown flute:    Saw this as a click on from, the Frifot video. I've seen a lot of harmonic flute amongst keen scandics in England and France (he mentions Finland but there was none at the festival I want to).  It sort of puts pipe and tabor in its place.   The new plastic plumbing pipe is perfect to make them, though I was told the original is made from reeds at a 'particular time of the year'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43eGgGyquSc

Plenty of click on's - I thought the Slovakian (!) was  the best
  _       _    _      _ 

SteveC

• Regular debater
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2010, 09:49:16 PM »

Phew! Just pipped one in at the end of the month. Been a bit hectic recently but had some time on my hands this week. Here it be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBaalfewJd4

I love this tune but still struggle with it and the video camera just makes me more fumbly than usual. Still, I felt I ought to make an effort.

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2010, 10:32:31 PM »

The hectic bit has possibly rubbed off on your tune. Try it at half that speed!

Meant nicely, you understand.

Nigel
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal