Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for October 2010 - Canal in October / Le Canal en Octobre  (Read 50023 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

Ladies and gentlemen, unless everyone on melnet suddenly gets very organised and changes their votes in the next 10 minutes (I'm writing this a little early), this month's winner is a lovely schottische written by Frederic Paris of La Chavannee, Le Canal en October (simply called the Canal in October in the UK usually).

Courtesy of OggieSnr, here's an ABC for you:

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:The Canal in October
M:4/4
L:1/8
R:schottische
K:Gmaj
|: GA | B3B cBAG | B3B cBAG | EFGB A3 G | FGEF D2 GA |
B3B cBAG | B2 BB cBAG | EFGB A2 F2 | G2 GB G2 :|
|: Bc | d3d cBAG | d3d cBAG | EFGB A3 G | FGEF D2 Bc |
d3d cBAG | d3d cBAG | EFGB A2 F2 | G2 GB G2 :|

Goodness knows there are lots of versions of this on youtube already - this one is a nice straight version that should help in picking up the tune, albeit it's being played in C:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHcVErx2MuA

Off we go folks -beginners, this is a good simple tune to learn, played typically on the inside row, and very useful for sessions and ceilidh bands; advanced players, there's quite a lot you can do with this, so let's see where it goes!

Cheers,

Clive

[[[ A quick note to Frederic Paris on this: Frederic, if you're reading this, I'm hoping you don't mind us playing your tune - we've sent an email (thanks Chris for your help with that by the way) to your La Chavannee address asking if it's OK, but haven't got a response as yet, and we don't know if it's reached you.  If I don't hear back in a few days, maybe I'll try again to reach you through Maxou. If you don't want us to use it, please let me know; if you're happy for us to use it, thank you very much for your music!

Message pour Frédéric Paris à-propos ce fil.  Frédéric, si vous lisez cela, on espère que vous vous sentiez content que nous jouions votre mélodie. Chris vous avez envoie un email chez lachavanee.com, mais n’ a pas encore reçu un réponse. Donc c’est possible que vous ne l’aviez pas reçu. Bientôt après, on pense à tenter vous joindre par Maxou. Soit vous préférez que nous ne jouons pas ce morceau, prier de m’ avisez -  soit content, merci beaucoup de votre belle musique!]]]

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Tune of the Month for October 2010 - Canal in October / Le Canal en Octobre
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:43:37 PM »

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:The Canal in October
M:4/4
L:1/8
R:schottische
K:Gmaj
|: GA | B3B cBAG |

That youtube clip confirms my suspicion (based on having seen what I think was a fairly authoritative version of the dots a long time ago) that the first bar should be:
|: GA | B3c cBAG |

With a c instead of a B as the second note of the first full bar.

If Monsieur Paris is reading, perhaps he can confirm or refute?
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C

In this lovely version it's B3B. He's also got dots on his website, but I guess we're free to choose our own variations.  ;)
Edit: Monsieur Paris plays B3c in this recording.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 08:20:43 AM by Simon »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall

A good site to visit is lachavannee.com - the group was founded by Frédéric's father Jaques Paris (no doubt with others) and now runs from the little farm of Embraud (its barn has a proper dance floor) next to the Allier river. They do dances most weekends, and several festivals.

La Chavannee has spun off scores of good folk musicians, and countless tunes. Attach a poster from last week's do. The front row bag pipers are (>>>) Frédéric ('Frédou'), his brother Manu, and 'Maxou' Heintzen.  The picture of the river (see website) shows the traditional punt style boats used to take produce down the Allier, and then the Loire to Nantes.  The canal is (I believe) the lateral canal of the Loire

Edit: Monsieur Paris plays B3c in this recording

Oh, well done, Simon! I'd thought Rue de Oiseau was a lost recording :-\   If anyone wants to play it in Fred's style - his une autre fois lead in tune  is absolutely lovely, and it never seems to get played in Britain. Then he does some fantastic 'rhythm breaking' tricks later on!  Ooo I just want to dance ... Bliss ...  8)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:17:55 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Anahata

• Treewind Music

In this lovely version it's B3B. He's also got dots on his website, but I guess we're free to choose our own variations.  ;)
Edit: Monsieur Paris plays B3c in this recording.

Blimey. He takes it at quite a lick, doesn't he! Isn't a bit on the fast side for a Scottish, or is that how they dance it in the Loire Valley?

I have to agree with the poster elsethread (I think it was Chris, actually) who didn't like that YouTube version much. I can see why some people like it, but the whole performance (visually as well) strikes me as pretentious. And the basses are so relentless and unimaginative.

I'll have to see what I can do with it now. Oh dear, this had better be good, hadn't it. :|bl

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall

Blimey. He takes it at quite a lick, doesn't he! Isn't a bit on the fast side for a Scottish, or is that how they dance it in the Loire Valley?

Timing will be spot on, I'm afraid - both Frederic and Eveline are consummate dancers. (Actually all the 'Chavans'  are)!  French polkas are also played very fast by our lights - but then they only take little steps.  Note the skip in his tune expression. Absolutely characteristic of the French style, and perhaps the main reason I personally don't like the other one.

[edit]  "elsethread" 'as now enter'd t' vernacular down Camboughidge, eh  ??? 
Ah minds it from t'  ol' song 'Poverty, Poverty Knock"  but ah  niv'r thought it'd mek it t' t' Internet thingy!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 06:29:51 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site

A couple of takes filmed yesterday in anticipation that Canal in October would win.

Filmed on board NB Serenade on Shropshire Union Canal on 30 September 2010 after some very hasty practice from memory of the tune  -  not perfect but it is the setting that counts for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUeAyQmTcjY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSiSYb-Gxk0
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage

Thank-you for this.  Jolly cheerful stuff.
G

Anahata

• Treewind Music

"elsethread" 'as now enter'd t' vernacular down Camboughidge, eh  ??? 
Ah minds it from t'  ol' song 'Poverty, Poverty Knock"

I don't know it from the song, but I've seen the word used in uk.rec.sheds, a newsgroup I've inhabited for a while. Unlike some neologisms on the net, at least it doesn't need explaining...

Kautilya

A couple of takes filmed yesterday in anticipation that Canal in October would win.

Filmed on board NB Serenade on Shropshire Union Canal on 30 September 2010 after some very hasty practice from memory of the tune  -  not perfect but it is the setting that counts for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUeAyQmTcjY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSiSYb-Gxk0
Tku nicely Clive and Summerstars for this tune.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel

Here's my attempt...
found it harder than I expected. My arms tired out really quickly.
http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=30259

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?

Well done, LDT. A nice even tempo and played with feeling. IMHO, the best you have done yet.

As for the tired arms, didn't know that you need to keep fit in order to play the melodeon. Start with twenty press-ups a day and work up from there!  >:E
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Kautilya

Well done, LDT. A nice even tempo and played with feeling. IMHO, the best you have done yet.

As for the tired arms, didn't know that you need to keep fit in order to play the melodeon. Start with twenty press-ups a day and work up from there!  >:E

Don't listen to him - the only press-ups he does is at the fixed end of the plank with his feet until there is enough bounce for the chorded victim at the bouncy end to be sprung off into the cold dark waters of Semmerwater... >:E >:E

mind u his pirate cowl hides his other side:
http://thedales.org.uk/TheStoryOfLakeSemmerwater

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?

Don't listen to him - the only press-ups he does is at the fixed end of the plank with his feet until there is enough bounce for the chorded victim at the bouncy end to be sprung off into the cold dark waters of Semmerwater... >:E >:E

I tried to think of a witty response to this, but came to the conclusion that I didn't understand a word of it, so I had better keep quiet rather than show my ignorance.  ???
Getting back on topic, I was going to record a version of Le Canal en Octobre today, but it is a lovely morning, so I shall go for a walk up Ingleborough instead. Perhaps, I shall get round to recording the tune tomorrow.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Kautilya

I tried to think of a witty response to this, but came to the conclusion that I didn't understand a word of it, so I had better keep quiet rather than show my ignorance.  ???
Getting back on topic, I was going to record a version of Le Canal en Octobre today, but it is a lovely morning, so I shall go for a walk up Ingleborough instead. Perhaps, I shall get round to recording the tune tomorrow.

you could play in the caves and get the great echo!

Susanne

• Respected Sage

Sarah, I think it sounds fantastic!!! I agree that this is your best recording, and also, it made me realize that maybe I can learn this tune as well. It sounds so much less complicated when you play it. Thanks for inspiring me!!! And as for your tired arms - you're not playing the Hohner one-row, are you?  ;D ;D

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel

Thanks both of you. Glad I inspired you susi.
Fortunately I've been learning this tune for a while (or else I'd have struggled to get up to that standard in a month).
I was playing the one row before I picked up the two row and played this.

Susanne

• Respected Sage

Now when I try to play it, it seems like mission impossible. Do you switch between G chords all the time, using both the G chord on the push and then the other one on the pull??

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

Now when I try to play it, it seems like mission impossible. Do you switch between G chords all the time, using both the G chord on the push and then the other one on the pull??

I think you're trying to play it in G on a G/C, aren't you? I'm pretty sure LDT's using a D/G and playing it on the inner row. I think it sits much better on the inner row (C on a G/C), and using principally the C chord on the push, and the F on the pull.

Cheers,

Clive

Susanne

• Respected Sage

No, it's on a D/G...and I play it in G. I bet it would be much easier on a G/C. My hands are not made for playing on the inner row:(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal