Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for October 2010 - Canal in October / Le Canal en Octobre  (Read 50019 times)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'

Here is a calendar of French dance events throughout the UK from Les Panards Dansants  There are various workshops, courses, bals where you can learn and enjoy schottiches and more

Superb thank you.
Cheers
Sandy
 (:)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall

I see that Grand Bal de Bath 23 – 24 Oct 2010 has Maxu Heintzen there and it'd be a good opprtunity to meet him. He has good English and is a lovely chap with wicked humour.

But any event in Theo's calendar will learn you the scottiche. With an even vaguely useful male partner  - a lady can pick up the steps in a simple 5-6 times though. Mazurka's a bit of a bugger (but worth the effort).
  _       _    _      _ 

Fidjit

• my space on My Space

Of course that only helps slightly with the music, because not everybody does it at the same speed.

Unlike playing for Morris where you follow the dancers. (Or do you ? )

I know in my Swedish dance group they dance to our (musicians) tempo.
Sometimes they'll say it was too fast or to slow. Especially the new dances we are trying out. Mostly we get it right.

All Swedish dance sides have their own tempo, I guess. And their own variations of the dance. Where they show off. Bit like all dance sides.

Chas  :|glug

Fidjit

• my space on My Space

Here is a calendar of French dance events throughout the UK from Les Panards Dansants  There are various workshops, courses, bals where you can learn and enjoy schottiches and more

Superb thank you.
Cheers
Sandy

Hey I liked that site Theo thanks  :|glug Chas and one for you  :|glug

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C

my query about whether Frédéric Paris's version seemed fast perhaps because that's the way they do it in that region of France.
There's probably regional differences, but they're usually pretty fast in France. Try searching for some random Fest Noz scottisches on youtube like this one.

pammylou

• Dino Baffetti, Castagnari Tommy, Serenellini Dona
    • Rattlejag Morris

Hi.  I have been playing the melodeon for about 15 months.  I have been a member of Melnet since November 2009 but so far have just been lurking in the forums to see what is going on.

I really liked Le Canal en Octobre when I saw that it had been nominated for October's TOTM (although I voted for the Steamboat Hornpipe). So, I have tried to learn it and have posted it to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvRCbbyWkG4

This is the first time I have posted here, the first time I have recorded myself playing the melodeon and the first time I have ever put anything on YouTube - therefore a triple whammy  ;D

I would be most grateful for any constructive feedback  (:)

Pam

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site

Hi.  I have been playing the melodeon for about 15 months.  I have been a member of Melnet since November 2009 but so far have just been lurking in the forums to see what is going on.

I really liked Le Canal en Octobre when I saw that it had been nominated for October's TOTM (although I voted for the Steamboat Hornpipe). So, I have tried to learn it and have posted it to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvRCbbyWkG4

This is the first time I have posted here, the first time I have recorded myself playing the melodeon and the first time I have ever put anything on YouTube - therefore a triple whammy  ;D

Pam

Very impressive Pam  -   a hit on all three of your triple whammy points!
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

Fidjit

• my space on My Space

Well done. Keep that up and you will show us all up. :|bl

Wish I could do basses like that.
Although some will say you have a couple of other fingers you should be using. I was told it was a bad habit to just use two. So get that third finger on the left hand doing what the second one is doing now.

Cheers Chas  :|glug

pammylou

• Rattlejag Morris

Thank you Summerstars and Chas for your kind comments.  It is great to get some feedback  (:)

I have tried using my third finger on the left hand - George Garside gave some good advice in his beginner's workshop in Whitby this year.  However, my third finger seems very weak, so I have got into the bad habit of moving my first and second fingers around the basses.  I will have to try and strengthen the finger and break the habit  (:)

Pam

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford

Thank you Summerstars and Chas for your kind comments.  It is great to get some feedback  (:)

I have tried using my third finger on the left hand - George Garside gave some good advice in his beginner's workshop in Whitby this year.  However, my third finger seems very weak, so I have got into the bad habit of moving my first and second fingers around the basses.  I will have to try and strengthen the finger and break the habit  (:)

Pam

although I am a four finger bass man, you will see that many professional players actually manage with only 2, so don't hit yourself too hard about it. 
You have nice rhythm and your "rollover" action on the E from the D row gives some nice effects. 
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

pammylou

• Rattlejag Morris

Many thanks for your constructive comments and encouragement, Brian.

I must say that having now posted to YouTube and to this forum I find that the encouragement is brilliant. 

Thanks to everyone   :|||:

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter

although I am a four finger bass man, you will see that many professional players actually manage with only 2, so don't hit yourself too hard about it.  
You have nice rhythm and your "rollover" action on the E from the D row gives some nice effects.  

Very nice playing Pam ... I routinely only use 2 fingers on my bass playing occasionally 3 .. never did me any harm!  ;D ;D
Keep up the good work and we'll see your next one soon!

Derek
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

Hi.  I have been playing the melodeon for about 15 months. 

Pam
Fine playing for a relative newby.

I would worry though that there seems to be a sniper in your house with one of those sniper laser things, and it's targeted on your melodeon  ;D

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'

Pam

Well played Pam, very clear with steady basses indeed. Well done too for getting it on you tube and mel.net. Looking forward to the next one!

cheers
Sandy

uofdoboe

I'm back after a several-month absence!  The tune ended up perkier than I originally imagined it to be, but it's fun with some bounce.  Haven't watched many others' yet so hopefully this version is fairly plagiarism-free!  I always end up stealing bits of others' songs that I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSsGnRiNzTY

DaveCottrell

• Good talker
First time video!
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2010, 02:18:26 AM »

Here's my attempt.  It's a little warty, but as it is my first attempt at getting this done,  I need to get the process out of the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emdsxX4k_Ik

Played on my Castagnari Sander, which sounds a whole lot better in person!!

pammylou

• Rattlejag Morris

I would worry though that there seems to be a sniper in your house with one of those sniper laser things, and it's targeted on your melodeon  ;D

Yes, it's my little Flip video camera  ;D

Chris Brimley

Very nice playing Pam ... I routinely only use 2 fingers on my bass playing occasionally 3 .. never did me any harm!   
Keep up the good work and we'll see your next one soon!

Derek

Yes, I think there's no great problem with 2-finger basses, with the occasional 3rd or 4th thrown in where necessary.  It helps with steady rhythm to use just the 1st and 2nd, I find, and it's pretty easy to reach all the buttons.  A great bit of playing, Pam.

pammylou

• Rattlejag Morris

Thank you Chris, and everyone else for their encouragement.

What will be the tune of the month for November, I wonder?  (:)  Can't wait to get stuck in!

Pam

Fidjit

• my space on My Space

Thank you Chris, and everyone else for their encouragement.

What will be the tune of the month for November, I wonder?  (:)  Can't wait to get stuck in!

Pam

You can try your hand at all the previous ones. We've been going for a twelve month.

Chas :Ph
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal