Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for October 2010 - Canal in October / Le Canal en Octobre  (Read 50037 times)

Susanne

• Respected Sage
Re: Tune of the Month for October 2010 - Canal in October / Le Canal en Octobre
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2010, 09:49:08 AM »

Nice work, everyone!! I'm afraid I'll have to jump this one too. I've learned it but it takes time to get some flow in it and I have no time right now for consistent practice. Oh ***** !!! (while writing I just discovered it is snowing heavily outside!  ;D) Ehm, what's your opinion, should I participate with quite bad sort of "first take" recordings with a lot of mistakes just for participating, or wait until I actually have time to practice like normal people (which probably won't happen until after Christmas)? The risk is that I get too much perfectionist and don't want to record anything until I'm "good enough", which probably takes years...

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2010, 09:53:28 AM »

Nice work, everyone!! I'm afraid I'll have to jump this one too. I've learned it but it takes time to get some flow in it and I have no time right now for consistent practice. Oh ***** !!! (while writing I just discovered it is snowing heavily outside!  ;D) Ehm, what's your opinion, should I participate with quite bad sort of "first take" recordings with a lot of mistakes just for participating, or wait until I actually have time to practice like normal people (which probably won't happen until after Christmas)? The risk is that I get too much perfectionist and don't want to record anything until I'm "good enough", which probably takes years...
Do a now and then one. (Gives an ego boost wen you record one after you practice after seeing the one before.) And I'm sure its not as bad as you think. ;)

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2010, 09:56:33 PM »

Yeah, maybe I should try that...

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2010, 01:18:47 PM »

Ok, so here's the first take, the "now" one. It didn't turn out too bad actually. Lack bellows control as usual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lcQRUl1Yqs

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2010, 12:19:34 PM »

TSMB and my offering for the Tune of the Month -  Ganivelle and The Canal in October on Hammer Dulcimer and Saltarelle L'Elfique

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=31868

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2010, 03:51:03 PM »

Very nice, Lester!! You have a great rhythm in that.

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2010, 05:46:40 PM »

TSMB and my offering for the Tune of the Month -  Ganivelle and The Canal in October on Hammer Dulcimer and Saltarelle L'Elfique

Wow, lovely tunes and a delightful combination of tones from the box & dulcimer. Nicely played as well ;D

Ellison

• Respected Sage
    • A few tunes here:
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2010, 02:38:55 AM »

This is lovely Lester. What a good sound dulcimer and melodeon make and good pairing of tunes.

Martin

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2010, 07:26:04 AM »

It is a lovely combination and I really like the saltarelle on this one. Bravo to you both.

cheers
Sandy
 (:)

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2010, 10:21:43 AM »

Here's my version (just in time :|||:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLZAlEwGb0Q
Played on my "new" D/G box bought from Luca of this Parish, one of the first tunes on a D/G for me

Louise

Howard Jones

« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2010, 08:32:34 PM »

As I voted for this tune I thought I'd better record it, but I've been so busy with one thing and another that I didn't get around to it, so (with just hours to go!) here's a version I recorded a couple of years ago with my band Albireo:

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=32404

Does anyone know the name of the second tune?

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=32404

Does anyone know the name of the second tune?

I don't know whether this is the correct name of the second tune, but I know it as 'A Winter's Dream'. It is the tune used for a Border Morris dance of the same name.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2010, 11:23:06 PM »

Time to put this tune to bed as we move onto the next month's tune, The Steamboat Hornpipe. As ever, late submissions to this thread are always extremely welcome.

Clive

pete c

• New Starter
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2010, 11:35:39 PM »

Well - I promised myself I'd have a go, so here is my first ever attempt at ToM (caught on the microphone of my laptop):

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=32428

I've had my melodeon for about 6 or 7 weeks now and decided that trying to tackle ToM would be a good challenge. Didn't realise quite what a challenge as everyone else seems to play the tune seem so smoothly. My canal seems more of a stagnant backwater with occassional rushes! Still, I've enjoyed trying.

The bit I've uploaded is the longest bit I could catch without total collapse. I find that if my brain lets one or other of my hands know that it's 'watching', everything falls apart. I seem to need to sort of sneak up on my hands and watch them out of the corner of my brain, if that makes sense. Once recording, this became even harder to do.

Many thanks to those who have posted as it has been a real inspiration (not that you can tell yet!) to hear you all play.

Pete

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2010, 01:45:36 AM »

I'm a bit late on this one, but the prospect of trying to think up another Halloween-related video was too hard to resist...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws1Aj7kDXtA

Yep, the tune ends up getting a bit lost in my attempt at figuring out a variation.  So, when is it that a variation crosses the line and just becomes a different tune completely?
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

BCC#er

• Regular debater
  • Old Hohners rule!
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2010, 02:47:38 AM »

GbH: I think you should do your own TV show! You're a genius! :|glug
Several Hohners and B. Gaillard B/C

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2010, 06:48:28 AM »

Pete c: Great first attempt. Interesting variation on the tune - not quite as it would normally be played, but that's how tunes evolve in the tradition.  Very nice steady tempo. If you've only been playing 6 - 7 weeks, you are doing very well. Good stuff!

GbH: Wonderful, as usual :D . Is there no end to your talents?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2010, 09:22:50 AM »

Pete: Respect! A very impressive performance for someone who has only been playing for a few weeks. A crisp rendition with a steady tempo. I presume the variation was deliberate, since it was repeated.

GbH: Another entertaining video. A very ethereal rendition. Your musicianship is matched by your showmanship and your video-editing skills. Brilliant!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

pete c

• New Starter
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2010, 10:21:39 AM »

Thank you both for your generous comments. The variation is what my fingers kept doing so I stuck with it as I was having so much trouble with the basses that I couldn't spare any concentration for anything else. Hence the 'ish' in the title of my upload.

You should have heard my variations on The Liberty Bell after 2 weeks of playing the melodeon. ;D

It's probably not as impressive as all that - I did fiddle with an anglo concertina a while ago but never really got anywhere with it, so I did at least have some experience of push/pull. I kept being tempted by a melodeon and when I saw mine going fairly cheaply on ebay, I decided I'd give it a go and see if I could do any better.

Pete
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:34:08 PM by pete c »

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »

Thanks for the comments, all.

Should you be interested, I've just post a blog entry giving a bit of background describing how the animation came to be.  It's at...

http://gbhandlebar.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/the-halloween-animation-challenge/

"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal