Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modifying club system boxes  (Read 4910 times)

butterfingers

• Good talker
Modifying club system boxes
« on: March 08, 2008, 02:27:35 AM »

Thanks to all for your replies, my mission is almost accomplished [now have a G and a C single row Pokerwork]. Still looking for a D [ suesqueezer, I'm watching and waiting re that one on ebay, thanks for your message]. Meantime I've become enamoured of the "Club" format to the point of wondering ; How much would it cost to re-club a de-clubbed Club? I'd be curious to hear from other fans of Club accordions. Also, my offer of a couple of PDF booklets of Nfld. tunes and "Celtic" tunes as downloads still holds; they're played all the time on my fiddle and "cordene" but otherwise gather dust in cyberspace in "Sibelius"...Butterfingers.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »

How much would it cost to re-club a de-clubbed Club? I'd be curious to hear from other fans of Club accordions.

No need, there are large numbers of club boxes still in original tuning. Ebay Germany has lots.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Matthew B

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 02:11:31 AM »

I'd be curious to hear from other fans of Club accordions. 

I confess to such an interest. . . . . take a look at the thread on gleichtons over in "general discussion".  And as Theo has noted there are always Club boxes for sale on ebay.  The IIIM seems to have been very popular, back in the day, and there are plenty of them available at fairly reasonable prices.
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

butterfingers

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 03:07:20 AM »

Just revisiting my old posting...re "re-clubbing" an old Club accordion, I thought that since ones for sale in the U.K. were in keys other than Bflat-Eflat or C-F [both of which I have], they might be easily converted back to the club system, [in D or G, etc.] making it easier to play with others at sessions, etc. I am well aware that many Club accordions are available on ebay Germany.

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 12:13:19 AM »

Hey Butterfingers! :)

It might be tough to find a D/G club that someone will be willing to part with.They'd have either gone through an expensive conversion process or would have been special orders.I often think about converting my 3-rows to club tuning(at least on the inside row) when I someday get them overhauled.

I like the gleichton on my C/f as well as the other C reversals,however I don't like the layout of the accidentals.I wish they were all moved one button closer to the chin,I'm always having to twist my wrist and use my pinky to get at the D push and F# push.

It might be easiest to to take an existing D/G Corso or Erika and install some d/d reeds.But I can understand why you'd want a real Club,the build quality is the finest I've seen of all the Hohners.

If you don't get many replies down here try reposting your query in another section,I have some other Club questions I'd like to ask. ;)

Chris

butterfingers

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 07:16:52 AM »

That's a great suggestion [regarding adding a gleichton to a standard 2or 3row]..I also find it hard to reach the accidentals on the Club...hit or miss..to convert a 2 row to having the gleichton wouldn,t be too complex, and I wouldn't miss the accidentals very much..I have a C-F 2row pokerwork that I never play, being enamoured of the single row pokerwork format [3 chords on the left] ,its' huffing and puffing possibilities, and then going to the Clubs for a bit of harmonic variation and less huffing and puffing, bit of relaxation..to add a gleichton to a 2row would be a nice alternative...

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 08:34:56 AM »

..to add a gleichton to a 2row would be a nice alternative...

A very simple way to get close to this is to simply take the C/D reeds (we are talking about a C/F system here)  and turn them over so you have D push and C pull.  you then have both notes on both directions.  I've not played this system, but it seems to make even more sense than having a gleichton.  I believe its a popular modification in the Netherlands.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

butterfingers

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 03:51:02 AM »

Just picked up the C-F and tried to figure out what a reversal of the C-D reeds would imply...it does make sense, would require a bit of cross-row playing in a different way, but not dissimilar to the club; in the key of C one would just reach over to the next row for a D note [and closer than than the 2nd. degree of the scale on the push of a club on the 3rd. row, that requires a bit of of a stretch of the fingers]. The mind does boggle a bit [at least mine does] on the possible melodic/harmonic setups of the boxes. I now have a couple of one rows [pre- 2nd world war] that have very different chord/bass combinations on the left hand; for the sake of simplicity, I'll say they're all in C. On one [a Beaver Brand] the C chord is where it would be on a modern single row Hohner Pokerwork, but where the F chord would be there's an E major chord on the push and an A minor chord on the pull..on the old Hohner single row that's probably 100 years old, the C and G chords are where the F chord would usually be, and the F where the C+ G would usually be...anybody have anything similar? Or any insight on why particular tuning/fingering/chord combinations are popular at one time and then unpopular?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Modifying club system boxes
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 09:26:49 AM »

I now have a couple of one rows [pre- 2nd world war] that have very different chord/bass combinations on the left hand;

I suspect that many people were building boxes and all had their own ideas, rather like the variety of brake/clutch/accelerator that you find on early cars.  Eventually a consensus emerged.

I once had an old two row that had 6 left hand buttons arranged in a single line.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina

Since grappling with irish music on the C/G Anglo Concertina playing e.g. in D G A etc and also on a Csharp/ D  Saltarelle Button Accordion/melodeon I have revisited some of my boxes like Club models and found that mentally ( at age 68) I am more able to move out from the up and down the rows thinking that started with mouth organ as a kid and was reinforced by my D/G two row. I even used to play a 3 row DGA Corona 3 like that for Morris to get the punch outdoors.! Which added some muscle like a 'Bullworker' but wasn't too smooth. The Anglo  has made me much more focussed as I am trying consciously to construct interesting chords on n both hands not just use the left hand for oompah as I tended to do for Morris.
having said all this I was able to play cross the rows in Irish sessions on the D/G and reckon Peter Kennedy was being sensible if he invented the D/G layout. Quite a few good players can do Irish on a D/G. So I suppose I'm saying a conversion of a Club from C/F to D/G makes sense for a lot of trad music if you play in sessions etc.

I like the hybrid Csharp/D/G three row

If I were starting again I'd get an all round 2.5 or 3 row and then tune the basses for best effect.
Has anyone got a dream hybrid that is bouncy yet flexible on bass?
Mike
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

butterfingers

• Good talker
Re: Modifying club system boxes
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 06:19:27 AM »

Hmm..the dream hybrid, I've seen a few excellent suggestions in the preceding posts. I've gone the opposite way from yourself, moving from the right/hand left hand possibilities of the Anglo concertina [I played the  German made boxes for years] in to the realm of single row acccordions with 3 chords on the left hand, or the Club models that offer melodic/harmonic possibilities beyond those of the German concertinas I used to play.....I do miss the harmonic possibilities of the concertinas [the way one can shape chords on the left hand, and occasionally sound lower notes that are part of the melody] .T
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal