Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: "accordion engineers"  (Read 12154 times)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
Re: "accordion engineers"
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »

It's a rather depressing mark of how complex the British class system can get that the simplest definition of Esq is an armiger...

Esq is above Gentleman and below Knight, which are respectively above and below yeomen and baronet.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:00:47 PM by ukebert »
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2010, 04:46:17 PM »

Am I  correct that it is pompous, arrogant and clumsy and gauche to call oneself  Esquire

You are. It's akin to referring to yourself as "Mr.", which my Daddy warned me was a sign of ignorance and pomposity.

Bit like calling yourself a musician - let other people address or refer to you in that way.

melodeon

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2010, 07:52:07 PM »

That was always my understanding

Mr. J J Hildreth,Esq.

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2010, 08:26:10 AM »

However,

Am I  correct that it is pompous, arrogant and clumsy and gauche to call oneself  Esquire
I would say yes it is. But in the UK it's rather antiquated and wouldn't have been used by oneself anyway. It was normally a polite form of address. I might for instance have got a letter from the taxman addressed to Pushpull Esq. threatening court action for unpaid taxes before he signed himself off as "your obedient servant".

I think I shall add this to my name on my "shingle" down at the road.

If a less than honorable ( in my opinion )  person in the accordeon business can nrefer to him/herself as
"accordion engineer"  certainly I can be Esquire..

J J Hildreth, Esq.

looks  goood,  don't you think ?
Out of context it looks arrogant. Such as the persistent use of one's professional qualifications in inappropriate situations.

I remain, Sir, your obedient servant,

Pushpull.  BSc. CEng. MICE

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2010, 09:22:37 AM »

Esquire from Fr "escuier" = shield bearer. And a very important mechanic to have with you a millennium ago when a few thousand knights had to terrorise subjugate a population of a couple of million.  I find the entry in Wiki one of its better ones - tracing the evolution of the word from essentially a trainee knight to something the London cabbie now drawls over his shoulder "whœre to, squære".  A legal use is there too - squire remains an official term in Scotland!  

Back to topic - this suggests our melodeon repair man should be an "accordéonier" - which a few hundred years more social history will doubtless abbreviate to a cryptic "cordie".  Gosh - I've made up a word  :|bl

You are. It's akin to referring to yourself as "Mr.", which my Daddy warned me was a sign of ignorance and pomposity.

[edit] Oh Steve, you've missed out several layers of the old English class system (as elaborated above by Ukebert). Throughout the '45 war Hitler was repeatedly referred to as "Mr" - not only by Churchill - to indicate his that his pedigree came from the lower strata of society.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 09:34:17 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal