Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New player progress report  (Read 5076 times)

morrisman

New player progress report
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »

The lovely old box in my avatar is away at the doctor's, and a friend has very kindly loaned me a brand-new D/G melodeon to learn on, to see if I really am keen and have enough talent to carry on.  I'm not really musical - haven't played anything since classical guitar at school, some 12 years ago - but I'll be happy if I can pick up some Morris tunes and play for my side if ever I can't dance for some reason.  These occasions seem to be happening more and more - the last one was when I put a contact lens out with my own stick at Rochester Sweeps and felt it too dangerous to carry on dancing  :-[

Anyway: I only got the box home yesterday, and have started out with Dave Mallinson's book.  I will (hopefully) work through the book and report progress!
Dancer with Brighton Morris Men
Absolute Beginner on melodeon!

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
Re: New player progress report
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:35:24 PM »

Well, from a fellow beginner...I made it as far as the first introduction to basses, and then started playing tunes instead :D Short practices seem to do wonders - in fact, even my basic basses are improving a little now... Interested to hear how you get on, and to share hints and tips! Good luck :)

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:35:48 PM »

Most important: the fun factor! Learning the technique is good, but always finish your lessons with some "fun" time, playing tunes from your inspiration.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:59:59 AM »

Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

morrisman

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 07:49:57 PM »

Working slowly through the book and - as quebecois quite rightly says - thoroughly enjoying it.  As I said, I haven't played anything for a lot of years so the sense of achievement at playing even Baa Baa Black Sheep at full speed is enormous.

Ellie, your advice on short practices is good - whenever I get frustrated I put the box down, do something else for half an hour, and go back to it.  I'm seriously considering starting taking it to work so that I can do this through the day, even.  You mentioned a John Kirkpatrick DVD in another thread which I haven't managed to track down - could you let me know a title, ref number or something like that?  Do feel free to PM me if you want to chat and share experiences!

A major problem I'm having is upper back pain.  I was in a nasty car accident last July, which has left me with a whiplash injury on the right side of my upper back.  Usually I barely notice it, but "my" melodeon came with just one strap, so that part of my back is supporting its whole weight and aggravating the injury.  I think this will improve when I get hold of a second strap so that the weight is evenly supported.

george garside

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »

A major problem I'm having is upper back pain.  I was in a nasty car accident last July, which has left me with a whiplash injury on the right side of my upper back.  Usually I barely notice it, but "my" melodeon came with just one strap, so that part of my back is supporting its whole weight and aggravating the injury.  I think this will improve when I get hold of a second strap so that the weight is evenly supported.
[/quote]

a pair of wide  2 - 3" straps can help considerably to spread the load on the shoulders, the narrow leather strap(s) that come as standard with many boxes tend to dig in & hurt!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 11:33:54 PM »

a pair of wide  2 - 3" straps can help considerably to spread the load on the shoulders, the narrow leather strap(s) that come as standard with many boxes tend to dig in & hurt!

I get some odd looks when people see the set of 3" wide 96 bass accordion straps I have on my box, but they are comfy and the box stays as solid as a rock.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

morrisman

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 12:13:46 AM »

I get some odd looks when people see the set of 3" wide 96 bass accordion straps I have on my box, but they are comfy and the box stays as solid as a rock.
Hah - the action of seeing the BMM band's older melodeon player strap his instrument on is rather like watching an overweight, bearded older lady putting a bra on - but I would happily look just as daft to give my whiplash a rest!

I will look into hoooooge straps forthwith.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 07:06:02 AM »

You mentioned a John Kirkpatrick DVD in another thread which I haven't managed to track down - could you let me know a title, ref number or something like that?
The Music Room have the DVD here
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 09:23:43 AM »

Hah - the action of seeing the BMM band's older melodeon player strap his instrument on is rather like watching an overweight, bearded older lady putting a bra on - but I would happily look just as daft to give my whiplash a rest!

I will look into hoooooge straps forthwith.

I thoroughly recommend Neotech Neoprene straps. I use the original model (back strap not necessary) with a 23 button 2-row; useable over a wide range of accordion sizes. UK stockist here, but Hobgoblin currently list them at a discount, but without the picture.

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 01:37:42 PM »

Quote from: morrisman
Hah - the action of seeing the BMM band's older melodeon player strap his instrument on is rather like watching an overweight, bearded older lady putting a bra on

I read a similar description of John Spiers swapping boxes whilst playing the ratcatchers - can never get the image out of my mind whenever I see him now! Am permanently astonished, having seen Faustus several times recently, that Saul Rose manages to play that huge 3 row with only one strap...

I've hardly had time to pick mine up recently - back to some more basic lessons when I get back from Shepley on Monday!

morrisman

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 02:02:46 PM »

Quote from: morrisman
Hah - the action of seeing the BMM band's older melodeon player strap his instrument on is rather like watching an overweight, bearded older lady putting a bra on

I read a similar description of John Spiers swapping boxes whilst playing the ratcatchers - can never get the image out of my mind whenever I see him now! Am permanently astonished, having seen Faustus several times recently, that Saul Rose manages to play that huge 3 row with only one strap...
He is a very big bloke!

Thanks for the link to the DVD, tallship, I'll get that ordered.

Annoyingly I can still feel the whiplash acting up even though I didn't play yesterday.  It's also a bit of a stressful time at work, so perhaps that's also aggravating it.  I need to call my masseuse!

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 08:16:46 PM »

Am permanently astonished, having seen Faustus several times recently, that Saul Rose manages to play that huge 3 row with only one strap...

I was surprised to find that my biggest box (the four voice organetto) is actually the easiest for me to play with one strap.  The bigger size and weight seem to anchor it better. (Not that I'm not amazed at Saul's one strap playing - although I have heard rumours that it has deformed his body a bit like the longbow archers or yore!!).

Ciao Bellow

Darren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal