Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robin Griggs Tribute, TOTM Theme for January?  (Read 2232 times)

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
Robin Griggs Tribute, TOTM Theme for January?
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:35:03 PM »

Hello all--

Anyone have interest in making January 2011 TOTM "anything written or performed by Robin Griggs"?
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

BFG

• Good talker
  • Sandpiper D/G, Pariselle G/C
Re: Robin Griggs Tribute, TOTM Theme for January?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:16:12 AM »

I personally would love to hear anyone's take on tunes by Robin Griggs. It was listening to Pig Dyke Molly that made me want to play the melodeon!

ROb
Beginner - definitely a beginner

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:20:32 AM »

The only publicly available recordings of Rob's playing are on the Pig Dyke Web Site - the CD made by the band when Rob was in it.

He also made a solo CD of which there's only 1 track of the solo CD on that page; I can't remember why I didn't put the others on. I have a copy of the CD so it could be done.

As I never met Rob myself, but am in regular contact with many people who were his close friends, I have to be careful about what I do with his music. The general feeling about the band album, after tactful consultation with Rob's family, was that we shouldn't sell the CD for money, but we could make the music available for anyone who wanted to hear it.

As for written/printed music or ABCs, the only ones that exist are those that I have done and some transcriptions made by Pete Shaw. Rob couldn't read or write a note of music.

The only tunes we use in Pig Dyke, which I have transcribed, are Mike (a.k.a. inevitable but not a taxi which I YouTubed and which has been discussed elsewhere on Melnet) and Ethel's Cats, which I included in our Shropshire "tunes from the fens" workshop last Easter as an example of the live evolving tradition, along with some tunes I had written myself.
Actually we also use one of his tunes for a broom dance, that that's an older tune from the teams' Cotswold morris days, and I learned that from Pig Dyke's other box player Tom Sennett.

The Pig Dyke link above will lead you to further history if you need it.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 01:32:58 PM »

Thanks Anahata for the great backstory.  It adds a lot to the website info for those of us who didn't know him.

I believe that Robin passed away in January a few years ago, that's the reason why I was thinking January TOTM.

The tunes on the CD/website are little hard for those of us with poor ears to learn, and the tuba confuses me from the melodeon bass side.

It would be major league great if we were able to see any ABCs/dots for these tunes.  Especially "Crew Cut" my favorite.

But all/any of the tunes have great, unusual notes and rhythms.

Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 05:03:08 PM »

As I never met Rob myself, but am in regular contact with many people who were his close friends,....
I met Rob a few years ago when Pig Dyke and Lizzie Dripping were at one of the Betty Lupton's weekends of dance in Harrogate. I loved the Pig Dyke music, but a highlight for me was a lunchtime session when I was sitting close to Rob and was able to admire his musicianship and creativity with which he endowed every tune he played.  He is sadly missed.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal