Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Straps for a Hohner Morgane  (Read 2660 times)

Barry J

Straps for a Hohner Morgane
« on: October 25, 2010, 03:48:17 PM »

Well I've received my new instrument.
It seems to play well and I've rattled a few simple tunes off it.

It didn't arrive with any model specific instructions (the leaflet with it has a picture of a piano accordion), but I have two questions:

1. What is the little thumbwheel on the top of the left hand side for ??

2. It came with three straps - two adjustable long ones (I assume for each shoulder) and one
very short one (8-14") which is only adjustable with press studs and has a nasty looking looking hook at one end.
What is this for ???

I'm sure its pretty simple when you know how, but without any example photographs or idea how it should go, I can only guess.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Straps for a Hohner Morgane
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »

Adjusting the bass strap.

2. It came with three straps - two adjustable long ones (I assume for each shoulder) and one
very short one (8-14") which is only adjustable with press studs and has a nasty looking looking hook at one end.
What is this for ???
It's a back strap to tie the other two together behind your back, and you in knots!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »

Well I've received my new instrument.
It seems to play well and I've rattled a few simple tunes off it.
Congratulations! Get stuck in there now!

It didn't arrive with any model specific instructions (the leaflet with it has a picture of a piano accordion), but I have two questions:

This is called a rotella and it adjusts the length of the left hand strap, which should be reasonably snug, but still allow your LH fingers to curl over slightly and operate the bass/chord buttons.

What is this for ???
The two long straps are for your shoulders, as you rightly surmise. Some people play with two straps, some with one (and some with none at all). This is down to personal preference and there has been many a discussion about it on this forum, so do a search for past threads - 'one strap or two?' comes to mind.
The little short strap is a back strap and connects the two shoulder straps together at the back to stop them slipping off the shoulders. You are fortunate in having one supplied with the instrument; they are more common and useful with large heavy piano accordions. Most melodeon players don't bother with one, but they can be useful. Again it's a matter of personal preference, so experiment to find out what suits you best. The back strap can be a bit of a burger to fasten though. However, if you can manage to put on and fasten a bra with one hand, you should have no trouble.  
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 04:37:28 PM »

What is this for ???
The two long straps are for your shoulders, as you rightly surmise. Some people play with two straps, some with one (and some with none at all). This is down to personal preference and there has been many a discussion about it on this forum, so do a search for past threads - 'one strap or two?' comes to mind.
The little short strap is a back strap and connects the two shoulder straps together at the back to stop them slipping off the shoulders. You are fortunate in having one supplied with the instrument; they are more common and useful with large heavy piano accordions. Most melodeon players don't bother with one, but they can be useful. Again it's a matter of personal preference, so experiment to find out what suits you best. The back strap can be a bit of a burger to fasten though. However, if you can manage to put on and fasten a bra with one hand, you should have no trouble.  
[/quote]
And for those not familar with how to put on a bra there are several ways ;) (care of a stand up comedian.)
- Be a contortionist to reach behind you.
- Do up back to front round waist, then swivel round to right way and put arms through shoulder straps
- Or do up straps and put over head like a jumper.

I know...TMI. ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:41:53 PM by ladydetemps »

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »

Further info re the two shoulder straps, not mentioned already. You should find that one is slightly longer than the other. The longer strap goes over your right shoulder, so that the accordion body is left of (your) centre when it's strapped on, assuming you're a right-handed player.

Added: Here is a picture of some guys suitably strapped in, including some members of melodeon.net, at a recent workshop
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:52:57 PM by Bill Young »

Barry J

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 04:46:54 PM »

Ok thanks everybody.

I've now put both straps on, connected the backstrap and pulled over my head like a jumper.
Unfortunately, I now have concussion.  ;D

But seriously, thanks for your help.

I'd never have guessed about the backstrap !!!

I should have guessed about the thumbwheel - doh !!

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 04:56:54 PM »

I should have guessed about the thumbwheel - doh !!
Not at all . . . Some folks think it's a volume control. Would be useful if it were!

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »

Here is a picture of some guys suitably strapped in, including some members of melodeon.net, at a recent workshop

Wow! Three Shand Morinos in the same room, and not only that, one formerly owned by Jimmy Shand and the other Will Starr's 3-row SM. What was the event - wish I had been there (except I don't play BCC#)! Which one are you, Bill?
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 05:22:29 PM »

Wow! Three Shand Morinos in the same room, and not only that, one formerly owned by Jimmy Shand and the other Will Starr's 3-row SM. What was the event - wish I had been there (except I don't play BCC#)! Which one are you, Bill?
Sandy,
That was Graeme's Button Box Workshop in Aviemore, in September. Not in the picture are the Shand Morinos of Jim and Graeme Mackay, standing at the back. I'm on the extreme right of the photo with the box I bought from Jim Mackay last year.

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »

I found that the straps supplied with my Morgane were fine, but were a bit on the short side for me.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal