Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Documentation of Progress: Running Thread  (Read 4118 times)

accordion criminal

• Good talker
Video Documentation of Progress: Running Thread
« on: October 26, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »

Edit: Dec. 1 2010: The Youtube links in this thread no longer function. I privatized the vids because I need to use my Youtube Channel for a less informal audience. Thanks everyone for the views and comments, etc. Thank you Lady de Temps for setting me an inspiring example. :)

Because I want to frequently share videos of my own playing, and not monopolize other discussion forums, here's my new mel.net home.

I welcome and encourage replies to the individual posts on this thread. I seek especially discussion about any aspect of the learning process. One longterm goal I have is to record myself decently renditioning a tune on accordion while hula hooping. No joke. If anyone wants to scoop my idea, have at it. I'm practicing with whistle and hoop first.

I begin this thread with a link to my latest Youtube video:
30 Year Jig as Waltz: 10/26/10

Please find all my previous vids at my Youtube channel: camelchimes

or use these shortcuts in order of most to least recent:

Pushing myself to play a faster tempo:
Blackberry Blossom: 10/21/10

Participating in TOTM for 10/10:
Gathering March: 10/20/10

Permitting myself to play as slowly as I need to play each note intentionally:
Kitty Come Down to Limerick: 10/14/10

First time permitting myself to play slowly to enjoy playing:
Seamus Ennis/Connie O'Connell Jig as Lullaby: 7/31/10

Learning from Jan Andersson on Youtube, on my ADG Gabbanelli:
Skepparschottis: 7/26/10

First tune with left hand:
Jim O'Keefe's Polka: 7/26/10

First accordion video, created my own soundtrack to some evocative home movie footage in memory of my father who died this past summer, used editing software and reverb:
My Lagan Love: 6/30/10
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:39:14 PM by pontyrogof »

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Video Documentation of Progress: Running Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:54:20 AM »

Thank you Lady de Temps for setting me an inspiring example. :)
hi, glad to be of 'inspiration'. :)

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 04:30:51 PM »

(All are welcome to respond:)

By the looks of your posts, ladydetemps, you seem to be closely aligned toward playing a tune the way it is meant to be danced to, as many players here are. I'm intimidated by that. Because you are such a dedicated and joyful learner, I hope I can share with you the following summary of my musical life:

Sometimes I wonder what the point of my playing is. I grew up in a culture that de-emphasized traditional dance forms. In my part of the U.S., trad dance meant ballet or ballroom. Parents had to force kids to take classes.

I grew up in a house devoid of music. That's a long story, but suffice to say, I entered adulthood with a mysterious compulsion to create music, no culture in which to create it, and the constant imagined whisper in one ear, "You suck."

I've been lucky enough to find musical partners on and off throughout my life, but their personal agendas always seemed to override the expression of joy.

So I decided that I would not let the joy be stamped out. This is particularly challenging for me, however, and I find myself constantly questioning my right to play and talk about playing. It all makes me starved for encouragement. :)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »

(All are welcome to respond:)

By the looks of your posts, ladydetemps, you seem to be closely aligned toward playing a tune the way it is meant to be danced to, as many players here are. I'm intimidated by that. Because you are such a dedicated and joyful learner, I hope I can share with you the following summary of my musical life:

Sometimes I wonder what the point of my playing is. I grew up in a culture that de-emphasized traditional dance forms. In my part of the U.S., trad dance meant ballet or ballroom. Parents had to force kids to take classes.

I grew up in a house devoid of music. That's a long story, but suffice to say, I entered adulthood with a mysterious compulsion to create music, no culture in which to create it, and the constant imagined whisper in one ear, "You suck."

I've been lucky enough to find musical partners on and off throughout my life, but their personal agendas always seemed to override the expression of joy.

So I decided that I would not let the joy be stamped out. This is particularly challenging for me, however, and I find myself constantly questioning my right to play and talk about playing. It all makes me starved for encouragement. :)

I've only recently got into 'music'. Did recorder briefly at infants school but got told not to continue..didn't help I couldn't practice at home living and a cramped flat with neighbors on all sides. I've tried other instruments at odd time sin the past....but never kept them up more than a week.
 It wasn't until 2008 I 'stumbled upon' folk music. by seeing a band called Bellowhead on the TV. I then went to see them live and was inspired to give the squeezy boxes with buttons a go. ;) Its was buttons I could do buttons (i.e. games consoles) so how hard could it be. 18months later here I am.

I find it hard to fit in practice with the moaning and complaints I get from siblings when I play, plus the mocking my brother instigates (only 3 more months to go and he moves out. Yeeeeesssss!).

Do you go to any local sessions/jams? I find that's encouraging when you are learning especially if they are tolerant of beginners.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 05:25:43 PM »

... I entered adulthood with a mysterious compulsion to create music,
So now there is no escape for you, the music has you in thrall, enchanted - literal meaning.

no culture in which to create it, and the constant imagined whisper in one ear, "You suck."

There is a great series of books including  "The inner game of music"  that deals exactly with that.   It is very practical and has advice about how to ignore, counter or even turn off the negative inner voice.   
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »

There is a great series of books including  "The inner game of music"  that deals exactly with that.   It is very practical and has advice about how to ignore, counter or even turn off the negative inner voice.   

Theo! Thanks for stopping by! I agree with you about the book, which sits on my desk. It did teach me to shut up the inner critic. One way I do that is by playing slowly enough that I hear only pretty music and not my typos. My bigger challenge is to turn off the outer critics. Ladydetemps mentioned her cranky siblings and mocking brother, how awful! I'm glad for you, LDT, that he is moving out. :) Theo, you made me realize that I've let some outer critics become new inner ones. *sound of switch clicking off* :)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 06:11:49 PM »

My bigger challenge is to turn off the outer critics.

I'm turning myself off! No more negative or flippant comments from this quarter. Thanks for the insight into your creative journey and all power to your triceps.

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 10:57:18 PM »

Steve, warmest thanks for your display of sensitivity and recognition for my creative journey. :) Thanks to your previous displays of sensitivity, I feel all the more welcome to share on melnet. Flippant remarks must have their way at times. You caught yourself once before I even had time to say, "Ouch!" :)

Moving on, I want to post a vid tomorrow, a close-up of my fingering of a gypsy melody with chromatic runs on the C#D. Please all be on the lookout for alternative fingering suggestions. 

Oh, and I'd like to try to play a tune flippantly in the near future.  I've heard ukebert do that.

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 12:39:23 AM »

ladydetemps,

I like equating the melodeon to a game console. The game aspect of this nonlinear instrument appeals to me too. 8)

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 06:51:25 PM »

I want to post a vid tomorrow, a close-up of my fingering of a gypsy melody with chromatic runs on the C#D. Please all be on the lookout for alternative fingering suggestions. 

Being able to get through this without any typos took me a day of practice. So, I recorded today. I've tried to put the left hand with it, and I find I will need to be "creative" in certain places. This tune, Goran Bregović's, has been one in my head since I saw Emir Kusturica's Time of the Gypsies back in the early part of this century. I thought this would be a great melody for practicing chromatic runs, which I love the sound of.

Watching myself, I notice I use my middle finger a lot. I think I do this to be ready for notes on either side of it. I prefer to move my entire hand than play with my little finger. I work out fingering when I first learn a melody. Any counter suggestions?

Talijanska melody part 1

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 06:57:27 PM »

I prefer to move my entire hand than play with my little finger. I work out fingering when I first learn a melody. Any counter suggestions?

Yes: when you receive counter-suggestions, ignore them!

Nice demonstration of the usefulness of half-step boxes: you're never stuck for a note, and accidentals are always close at hand. Well done.

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 05:44:41 PM »

I met last night with some enthusiasts who are trying to start up an amateur clogging group for charity performance venues such as nursing homes. This morning, for our study purposes, I re-recorded a slightly up-tempo version of one tune I'm always working on, Blackberry Blossom. The group has enough children to participate in their children's division, but they don't have any adults besides the original mother-daughter team, yet. I suggested we work up a few numbers to busk downtown with a sign about our project. We'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A71-J3kBgEI
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal