Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Musescore  (Read 5867 times)

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
Musescore
« on: October 30, 2010, 10:08:44 AM »

Just trying to get to grips with Musescore... loads of options for different instruments ...

I'm looking to get a Treble staff with the bass chords as letters either above or below (preferably the latter)... can anyone help please 'cos it's defeating me :|bl... so far ::)

...at the moment it's quicker to write out by hand ;D   
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Chris Brimley

Re: Musescore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 06:15:30 PM »

Have you tried Create - text - lyrics or chord names?

The instruction vids are good at explaining if stuck.

I see there's a new version out.

xgx

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »

Thanks Chris... haven't tried that as yet.... bad case of ignoring R T F I  ... it's a man thing ;)
Graham

arty

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 01:06:32 PM »

Earlier this week I downloaded 'musescore' on to my laptop, which is free of charge. After watching a few very clear instructional videos on You Tube, showing how to use the programme, I managed to write my first piece of sheet music last night - a Stephane Delicq tune, which I had learnt by ear.

I am really impressed by this programme and would encourage anyone to have a go. It is not difficult and it does produce a printed sheet of professional quality. I enjoy the fact that, having written all the music, it will then play it back to you, so it is easy to spot any notational errors. Clever!

Today, I am thinking that it may be fun to try composing my own tune. That would be a first !
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »

Can the present version export abc, does anyone know?
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »

Can the present version export abc, does anyone know?

Not quite directly, but it's easy enough:
1. Export your Musescore file as a MusicXML file (File>Export..., choose option MusicXML)
2. Open or drag the MusicXML file into an ABC editor. I use EasyABC and it does the conversion beautifully, chord symbols, text, the lot.

NB - for the record, the current version of Musescore is 2.0.3.1

Related to Malcolm's question, it's also worth pointing out that Musescore has an import plugin which converts ABC code into Musescore notation. It might need a bit of minor 'tidying up' editing but it generally works very well.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »

The position of chord symbols is set in Style-Text-Chord Symbol. Change the vertical offset to about +12 staff spaces to put symbols under the staff.

Did you know that if you transpose a score the chord symbols are transposed as well?

I have only been using MuseScore for a few weeks. I used to use Noteworthy Composer on Windows and more recently with Wine on Linux. I still find writing a score with Noteworthy easier but MuseScore does produce very well formatted output.

AFAIK MuseScore can import ABC directly but you have to use Steve's method (other Music XML to ABC converters are available) to output ABC. If anyone is interested you have to use a similar trick to output ABC from Noteworthy.

PS
I re-read the OP and realised you may not have ANY chord symbols yet. Press escape to make sure you are not in "Note Entry" mode, then click a note in the score and press CTRL-K. This opens an edit box in the score where you can type the chord symbol. Then you can tweak the positioning.
Apologies if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:07:40 PM by JD »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 02:03:56 PM »

....AFAIK MuseScore can import ABC directly...

That's what I said in my previous post:
...Related to Malcolm's question, it's also worth pointing out that Musescore has an import plugin which converts ABC code into Musescore notation. It might need a bit of minor 'tidying up' editing but it generally works very well.

::)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 02:15:25 PM »

That's what you get for typing at the same time as someone else and ignoring the "someone else has posted and you might like to revise your post" message. Some people never learn, especially me!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 04:06:16 PM »

PS
I re-read the OP and realised you may not have ANY chord symbols yet. Press escape to make sure you are not in "Note Entry" mode, then click a note in the score and press CTRL-K. This opens an edit box in the score where you can type the chord symbol. Then you can tweak the positioning.
Apologies if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs.

The original post is nearly six and a half years old! I think xgx is sorted by now. Arty resurrected an old thread.  ;)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

xgx

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 09:19:48 PM »

Thanks Steve, JD et al  one of the joys of this forum is the help that's freely offered...

Happy to say that "xgx is sorted" ...but by no means complacent  ;D

(found the chord symbols (Ctrl+K) and (clever Dick) can now position them above or below staves as needed)

Graham

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 08:26:41 PM »

I've found MuseScore great for producing practice tracks as I export the tune as a .pdf file so that I can see what the notes on the staves look like and also as a .wav file so that I can hear the tune in its simplest form.
Then I play the .wav file using the ABRSM app " SpeedShifter" app so that I can start practising slowly and then speed up as I get to know the tune. This helps maintain a constant speed rather than playing the easy bits quickly and slowing down for the harder parts.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »

You can do this in MuseScore directly too, by adjusting the playback speed.  eg: View, Play Panel, adjust tempo.

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 07:53:46 AM »

You can do this in MuseScore directly too, by adjusting the playback speed.  eg: View, Play Panel, adjust tempo.
Thanks Chris, that's useful but would mean I had to practice next to my PC. By putting the .wav files and SpeedShifter on my iPad I can practice anywhere. And if I need more volume I use a Bluetooth speaker with the iPad.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »

Hmm, can you not download MuseScore for an ipad?  (No good asking me, I don't use one.)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 12:05:47 PM »

Hmm, can you not download MuseScore for an ipad?  (No good asking me, I don't use one.)
The full MuseScore software will not run on an iOS system which iPads and iPhones use.  - it needs the full MacOS to run, which is only available on desktops and laptops.  However, there is a MuseScore Songbook app for iPad and iPhone which will play MuseScore files created previously elsewhere.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 12:55:04 PM »

...Related to Malcolm's question, it's also worth pointing out that Musescore has an import plugin which converts ABC code into Musescore notation. It might need a bit of minor 'tidying up' editing but it generally works very well.

In my (very limited) use of MuseScore so far, I have found that:
  • I have to be connected to the internet to actually use this plug-in - for me, this
    is a little inconvenient
  • the plug-in does not seem to import any chords (and other annotations) which might
    have been in the ABC script
Am I doing it wrong? Are there any get-arounds for the two problems I have listed?

Thank you.

Roger
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 02:33:50 PM »

In my (very limited) use of MuseScore so far, I have found that:
  • I have to be connected to the internet to actually use this plug-in - for me, this
    is a little inconvenient
  • the plug-in does not seem to import any chords (and other annotations) which might
    have been in the ABC script
Am I doing it wrong? Are there any get-arounds for the two problems I have listed?

1. You have to be connected to the internet for the ABC to MuseScore conversion to work. It tells you this in the plugin window where you paste in the ABC code. As far as I know there are no off-line alternatives.

2. I've not had any problems with the import of chords and text via the plugin. It works fine for me. Whether you are doing it wrong or not, I can't say, sorry. Make sure all your chord symbols are enclosed by "double quotes", and any notated chords are enclosed in square brackets, e.g. [GBd]
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »

However, there is a MuseScore Songbook app for iPad and iPhone which will play MuseScore files created previously elsewhere.
I use the standard "Music" app that was preloaded onto my iPad (or I select the track in SpeedShifter) to play .wav files that have been created using MuseScore. And I use the "SongBook" app for the lyrics of songs (with chord letters for the accompaniment). Does the "MuseScore Songbook" app do anything extra or better?

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 04:47:20 PM »

However, there is a MuseScore Songbook app for iPad and iPhone which will play MuseScore files created previously elsewhere.
I use the standard "Music" app that was preloaded onto my iPad (or I select the track in SpeedShifter) to play .wav files that have been created using MuseScore. And I use the "SongBook" app for the lyrics of songs (with chord letters for the accompaniment). Does the "MuseScore Songbook" app do anything extra or better?
I believe that the MuseScore Songbook app will display and play music notation, which has previously been created with MuseScore. I can't tell you any more, sorry, as I don't use an iPad.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal