Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musescore  (Read 5868 times)

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
Re: Musescore
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 05:03:22 PM »

1. You have to be connected...there are no off-line alternatives.
2. I've not had any problems...square brackets, e.g. [GBd]
  • Ah, pity. There are times when I prefer to do stuff without being connected.
  • Sorted - very stupid mistake on my part!!!
Thank you.

Roger
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:05:19 PM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »

The original post is nearly six and a half years old! I think xgx is sorted by now. Arty resurrected an old thread.  ;)

While we're resurrecting old posts. Maybe you can tell me how you did this, Steve? Got me beat. Is it an imported image?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »

While we're resurrecting old posts. Maybe you can tell me how you did this, Steve? Got me beat. Is it an imported image?

No - it's not an imported image, although you could probably do it that way if you wanted.

1. The small notes above the stave were created using note input - voice 2, which allows you to input the dotted-quaver/semiquaver pair and the triplet coupled quaver/semiquaver as a separate set of notes independently of the main tune notes. I made the note pitch the G above the stave but not higher as I didn't want to introduce ledger lines.

2. Next, I made the Inspector palette visible (F8) and proceeded to adjust the vertical offset of the voice 2 notes (use 'chord' select option) until they were well above the stave. I also reversed the stem direction so they were all pointing up (select the beam and press X). I also adjusted the horizontal distance between the two pairs so there was room to insert an = sign. Finally I used the palette to make the notes 'small'.

3. I inserted the = sign by selecting a note head and then inserting the = as stave text, again adjusting the horizontal and vertical spacing to get the = to the correct location.

4. Finally, I selected unwanted characters, e.g. rests in voice 2 and made them invisible (option in Inspector palette)

NB - creating the notes in the way I've described will make them audible if you decide to play back the score, so to fix this, select each of the voice 2 note heads in turn and turn off the 'play' option for each of the notes in the inspector palette.

It all sounds a bit of a faff and takes longer to describe than to do, but once you get the hang of it plus a bit of trial and error, it works well enough.
MuseScore is very good for placing symbols, notes, rests, etc., exactly where you want them to be, and thus over-riding their automatic placement. It's a bit like adjusting the kerning in a text document, only a bit more extreme in this case.

Luckily, this probably isn't something you'd want to do very often!  :Ph
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »

No - it's not an imported image, although you could probably do it that way if you wanted......Luckily, this probably isn't something you'd want to do very often!  :Ph

Thanks Steve. I can happily say I would never have worked that one out. I am impressed.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Chris Brimley

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »

Steve, I'm impressed too, but as a somewhat tongue in cheek thing, how about this alternative notation?:

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 02:54:33 PM »

Steve, I'm impressed too, but as a somewhat tongue in cheek thing, how about this alternative notation?:
Yes - of course that works too and is probably a far more accurate representation of how most people play 'Harvest Home', especially if you wanted a classically trained, non-folkie musician to play it from the dots.

However - tradition, convention, bloody-mindedness, call it what you will - has meant that lumpy hornpipes get notated in dotted-quaver semi-quaver pairs in 4/4 or 2/2 time, not in compound 12/8 time*, with the assumption being that you don't play the rhythm strictly accurately, but it is played 'swing-style'. Which just goes to show further, that you need ultimately to 'feel' these tunes, not read them.

* If I was ever to re-invent the wheel, I'd probably write lumpy hornpipes in 12/16 time.  :o

An example of lumpiness notated as swung triplets occurs in Ibert's lovely quirky wind quintet 'Trois Pièces Brèves'.
See attached for page 1 of the oboe part and see how the notation is written at Fig.2. You can hear a nice recording here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_n8E7rxcdw
Listen to the oboe at Fig.2 which occurs at time 0:31 and then becomes the main theme of the movement. Lovely stuff!

Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 04:03:08 PM »

A cracking piece of performance Steve, but slightly above my ears' capabilities to translate into dots!

I still feel though that with the original the notational convention is making things unnecessarily difficult - it seems pretty straightforward if a 'triple-note' time signature is used.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »

I see there's a "Musescore Songbook" for the iPhone - is it a passive display app or does it let you edit new pieces?
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 11:30:07 PM »

I see there's a "Musescore Songbook" for the iPhone - is it a passive display app or does it let you edit new pieces?
We've already discussed this earlier in this thread.
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,5261.msg244606.html#msg244606
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 08:17:27 AM »

Is there a good way of exporting the sound generated by MuseScore so it can be used in a recording program like Sonar?

I've written a three part arrangement, recorder, violin and double bass, and the musescore sounds are reasonable.  I want to tweak the balance between instruments and do a little mixing.  I've tried exporting via MIDI and the MIDI card I have makes it sound awful, not worth trying to fix in fact.

Anyone know an easy way of doing what I want please?

Thanks

Steve

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 09:03:14 AM »

...I've written a three part arrangement, recorder, violin and double bass, and the musescore sounds are reasonable.  I want to tweak the balance between instruments and do a little mixing....
You may have found this already and decided it is not good enough for what you want, but within MuseScore there is there is the Mixer control panel (F10 or in the menu bar View > Mixer). The control panel allows you to adjust the volume, panning, reverb and chorus settings between the instruments, which would then be reflected in any midi, mp3 or other audio export.

There is also the Synthesiser control panel (View > Synthesiser) which I guess would allow you to change the sound type, quality, envelope, etc., but I think you need to download various MuseScore plugins. I haven't explored this option yet. I expect there is advice on the MuseScore on-line help and forums.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »

...I've written a three part arrangement, recorder, violin and double bass, and the musescore sounds are reasonable.  I want to tweak the balance between instruments and do a little mixing....
You may have found this already and decided it is not good enough for what you want, but within MuseScore there is there is the Mixer control panel (F10 or in the menu bar View > Mixer). The control panel allows you to adjust the volume, panning, reverb and chorus settings between the instruments, which would then be reflected in any midi, mp3 or other audio export.

There is also the Synthesiser control panel (View > Synthesiser) which I guess would allow you to change the sound type, quality, envelope, etc., but I think you need to download various MuseScore plugins. I haven't explored this option yet. I expect there is advice on the MuseScore on-line help and forums.

The answer was a bit more complicated but it was to export as MIDI to Sonar, create three instrument tracks linked to the Cakewalk sound library and then route each MIDI channel through the appropriate instrument channel.  It's then mixable etc just like any other instrument track.  Bit convoluted and took me further into Sonar than I intended but it appears to work.  The Cakewalk sounds aren't bad either.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal