Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some astonishing box playing from Newfoundland  (Read 4939 times)

Jamie Robertson

• Good talker
  • C/F Pokerwork, A/D Venezia, B/C Double Ray DeLuxe,
Some astonishing box playing from Newfoundland
« on: November 12, 2007, 11:49:13 PM »

Check out all of the Youtube posting by Mike Batten.  These young players are astounding.  The second of this pair of videos is truly humbling.  Another discussion group was agonizing over what type of box a new player should play.  Renee does some things on her G/C Hohner Erika that would make most B/C, C#/D etc. Irish style players bow their heads in respect.  She also really cuts loose on the old 1 row 4-stop job, and it isn't Cajun music.

I guess the bottom line is, play what you have or can get, and take it wherever you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpqRz5Q5ZBE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU5b0upNUQU
Music is the Best.  Frank Zappa.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Some astonishing box playing from Newfoundland
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:28:03 PM »

Renee does some things on her G/C Hohner Erika that would make most B/C, C#/D etc. Irish style players bow their heads in respect. 

I wouldn't go quite that far. Are you her dad, by any chance? ;D

buttonbox

• New Starter
  • Wait. What?
    • Twin Cities Céilí Band
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:03:36 PM »

Renee does some things on her G/C Hohner Erika that would make most B/C, C#/D etc. Irish style players bow their heads in respect.

I wouldn't go that far, either, but it is enjoyable to hear her play it well.

I guess the bottom line is, play what you have or can get, and take it wherever you can.

Absolutely.  I've seen an example of Michael's (of the Irish Dancemaster) handiwork of taking a 10-button toy melodeon and re-reeding it to turn it it into an actual musical instrument.  Nice.
Saltarelle Irish Bouëbe C#/D (from the Serenellini days); Serenellini 233 C#/D; Some old Hohner G/C that I'm having converted to B/C when I get around to it.

Jamie Robertson

• Good talker
  • C/F Pokerwork, A/D Venezia, B/C Double Ray DeLuxe,
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:49:17 AM »

I wouldn't go quite that far. Are you her dad, by any chance? ;D

Never met any of them.  I just think the Newfies really have some good boxers, and I'm not even Canadian, eh?  Next time I'll try to keep my editorailizing to myself.
Music is the Best.  Frank Zappa.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 01:29:21 PM »

I just think the Newfies really have some good boxers, and I'm not even Canadian, eh?  Next time I'll try to keep my editorailizing to myself.

No need to place a gag order on yourself. :) I know the accordion culture is very strong in NF. A fiddler friend of mine has taken up the box since moving there - and got me wearing Accordion Revolution T-shirts. I'm hoping to visit before too long. To explain my suspicions of paternity - I thought the playing in the clips was nice and very fluent (fast!) but I didn't find it astonishing and couldn't see what she was doing that would make Irish players "bow their heads."

Cheers
Steve

buttonmasher

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:22:10 PM »

Steve,
I'm on your side, I thought it was pretty damn good.
Ralph.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal