Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carrefour mondial de l'accordéon festival in Montmagny Quebec Canada questions  (Read 4883 times)

suesqueezer

• Piana accordion player now attempting all buttons!

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage

http://accordeon.montmagny.com/Carrefour/index_e.aspx?ArticleID=135&ev=1

Sue, I went a couple of years ago.  The campsite is pretty close to things but it's pretty bleak and windswept -- if the weather isn't really good, it can be cold and unpleasant.
   But my chief complaint was the lack of Quebecois music.  There was Brazilian music (on a p#%*o accordion), music from the Cape Verde isles (on a p)$&o accordion), music from Paris (on a three-row chromatic, which sounds as bad as a p$*&o accordion), Gypsy music from Romania (on a p#^%o accordion), Klezmer music (on a p#%%o accordion), and a little concert on Saturday afternoon with R. Oulette's teenage students.  I went to M. Messervier's Saturday night dance (kind of a "rump" performance) and that was about the best thing on the weekend.
   It's great if you want classical, Parisian, or Klezmer music (on a p(*$^o accordion), but I was disappointed.
   Jamming in the campground and around the town was great.

BH, NC USA
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!

Well, the event is called Carrefour mondial
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 03:13:39 PM by québécois »
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage

(snip) Forgot to mention: if you are looking to try and/or buy a 1-row in D that's the time and place. Most local makers of hand-crafted melodeons will likely be there. 

BT DT!!!!    ;D

suesqueezer

Thanks guys for the input. I thought the same about the content of Quebecois music for the past years. Also, a few years back the website was only in French - asked for English site or info elsewhere, no response. For a festival trying to preserve its French roots (no to English!), sort of contradictory that they don't feature the music of the area.

You mentioned jamming - all sorts of stuff with a variety of instruments or just accordions? Camping is extra? Is it a real campsite with amenities? Your input greatly appreciated.

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!

For a festival trying to preserve its French roots (no to English!), sort of contradictory that they don't feature the music of the area.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage

You mentioned jamming - all sorts of stuff with a variety of instruments or just accordions? Camping is extra? Is it a real campsite with amenities? Your input greatly appreciated. 

The campsite is very nice indeed.  It's a permanent site right where the little stream that runs through Montmagny enters the Grand Fleuve; it's also right next to the white goose education and protection center.  The facilities are what you would expect for a full-time site (I'm not sure if it's city-owned or privately-owned -- doesn't matter, it's well equipped and well managed); drop-a-quarter-in showers (modern/clean), restrooms/washrooms (ditto), quite a few (150 or more???) permanently located caravans, hookups (again I'd guess hundreds) for motor homes, and "Camping sauvage" with a flat piece of ground next to a picnic table and a water spigot.  Nicely laid out, good access roads, well-kept grassy areas in the campsites, etc.
   I'd guess a 12 minute walk to centre de ville -- not a killer but then again, you don't want to walk back and forth every hour to pick up snacks, accordeon, etc. either.  You leave the campsite, walk through a couple of blocks of residential area and then the first thing you come to is the accordeon museum with the trader's market etc.  It's a nice way to start.

My experience with the jamming was that you'd run into "eclectic jams" with varied instruments and often "themes" (people who wanted to play "Django jazz/swing", or p*#&o accordion led jams of Broadway show tunes, bluegrass) and then quite a few small groups of people playing Quebec music.  I once sat with 3-4 musicians from (if I got it right, Sherbrooke, but if I did it was the only thing that I understood to come out of their mouths in the hour and a half) we had 3 one-rows and one guitar.  We swapped Quebec tunes back and forth until dinner was ready.  And I'm sure that they understood as little of my English and attempts at French as I did of their French and attempts at English.  But it sure was fun (although I wonder what the he!l they thought of a big ole fat grey-headed hairy-butt redneck from Caroleena Nord wondering up and playing Quebec tunes with them).

suesqueezer

Thanks Francois, thanks Bruce for the camping info. We usually go to festivals down your way (blugrass oldtime) and I want to do something different on our long weekend this year. I am hoping to convince better half on going to cordeen based festival (got him to go to only one so far - he was concertinad out)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.