Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Living with MAD  (Read 32850 times)

Susanne

• Respected Sage
Re: Living with MAD
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2008, 11:02:16 PM »

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2009, 11:09:20 AM »

Old thread resurrection WARNING

I was reading through the thread....I have: HAD (hobby acquisition disorder)/SKAD (Skill Acquisition disorder)a compunction to aquire skills and hobbies.

SAD (Shoe Aquisition Disorder)...had to stop because I ran out of room.

BAD (Book acquisition disorder)...don't let me into a bookshop..I come home with about 20 books.

Now I think I've developed SQAD (Squeezebox Acquisition disorder)....even though I've got an anglo concertina and a melodeon and another anglo concertina on order...I rather fancy getting a duet concertina and a 2 and a half row melodeon.

I must be crazy....I've no room at home to fit them in....I could build a fort out of all my stuff piled high.

Maybe its just I'm addicted to shopping? ;)

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2009, 11:17:33 AM »

Don't do it - I've just bought myself a 2.5 row (Saltarelle Pastourelle), and think I've fallen into the trap Lester mentioned on another thread - that of buying new melodeons 2 years before you need them  :-\ I won't be playing it outside the house until I can do it justice...

Still, the money might as well be sitting in an instrument that gives you pleasure as in the bank in these straitened times, eh?  :|||:

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2009, 11:24:17 AM »

Don't do it - I've just bought myself a 2.5 row (Saltarelle Pastourelle), and think I've fallen into the trap Lester mentioned on another thread - that of buying new melodeons 2 years before you need them  :-\ I won't be playing it outside the house until I can do it justice...
You much better than me. :)

Still, the money might as well be sitting in an instrument that gives you pleasure as in the bank in these straitened times, eh?  :|||:
that's what my heart says..whereas my head says I should spend the money on learning to drive....or else I'll never be able to get to all the festivals/workshops etc. I want to get to. ::) *sigh* choices, choices....

My list of intruments in the house:

Belonging to me:
1 Recorder
1 Bass Guitar
1 Penny whistle
1 Scarlatti Anglo Concertina (C/G)
1 Beltuna Sara 2 Melodeon (D/G)

Shared between me and siblings:
1 Keyboard...no idea what make it is.

My sister owns:
1 Recorder
1 Harmonica
1 Acoustic guitar
(says she'd love to learn the trumpet or saxophone)

Brother owns:
1 Electric guitar (he took apart and now can't put back together..so he's looking on ebay for another)

Mum owns
1 tamborine (bought for her by me.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 11:54:56 AM by ladydetemps »

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »

When I bought my Dony (which is similar to the Pastourelle) it was an impulse purchase. I really only chose that model because it happened to be sitting in the shop, and when I played it my husband said it sounded really lovely and persuaded me to go for it. I'd never played a half row before and didn't have a clue what the extra basses were for. It also felt completely different from the smaller  boxes I had played before.
Like you, I didn't dare take it out for months, but I gradually got used to it, started playing across the rows more, and discovered all the different keys I could play in, especially with the thirds taken out of the basses. I couldn't go back to having just a 2 row now.
Keep playing it and have fun exploring the possibilities, and you will grow into it, and hopefully never look back.

I rather fancy getting a duet concertina and a 2 and a half row melodeon.

LDT - Wait until you have mastered that Sara II before getting another box. I have found that one of the biggest distractions from practising the instruments you've already got is thinking about buying new ones. The other one, as mentioned in another thread, is getting addicted to this forum!

Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »

Thanks Pauline - that's what I'm hoping for! :) Especially since I can't now afford to do anything else, so I'll have plenty of time to sit at home and play it  :D ::)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »

Bring it along to the next Knowl Hill session and I'll bring my Conammara 3 then I'll show you mine if you show me yours  ;)

Scallyanglo

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood Binci Pariselle 2.6 LM 14 bass
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2009, 02:34:42 PM »

OOoo!! I didn't know you were thinking of a new box. I hope you're keeping it hidden from Erica! With all those buttons it's nearly a concertina :D

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2009, 02:38:05 PM »

My list of instruments in my house is longer than this, but these are the instruments that I can be said to own:

1. Electric Piano
2. Keyboard
3. Melodeon
4. Bb Clarinet
5. C Clarinet
6. Ukulele (Soprano)
7. UkeSolid (Soprano)
8. Ukulele (Tenor Electric)
9. Banjolele
10. Cuatro de Puerto Rico
11. Timple
12. Charango
13. Banjo Mandolin
14. Didgeridoo
15. Whistle (D)
16. Tabor Pipe (D)
17. Tabor Pipe (C#)
18. French Flageolet
19. Bodran
20. C Melody Saxophone (Buescher stencil, 1923)
21. Ocarina (8 hole)
22. Hand Rabana
23. C Melody Saxophone (Conn New Wonder I, in bits)
24. Concert Zither (damaged and without strings)
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2009, 02:30:15 AM »

Being new to this game I know exactly how MAD starts.
I was given a 2 stop, 1 row Hohner many years ago and had it sitting around the house because it looked ornamental (I am a piano player, okay!).

Started playing it a few months ago, suddenly needed 2 rows and my husband (while looking for a bigger grand piano on ebay) bought me a 2 row Hohner. I promised to sell the 1 row to cover the cost of the 2 row.

Trouble started when the new box arrived - I didn't want to hurt the old one's feelings, also it sounds different, was the first box I ever played, it is good for having in the bedroom so I can practise in there if the 2 row is in the lounge.......etc.
I don't get 'jigs'

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2009, 05:28:39 PM »

Needing another melodeon with a different sound, or in a different key is normal wih MAD.
But justifying another one on the basis that it is needed in a different room is, I believe, a new symptom for MAD.
Although I do recall a friend who did display something similar with pianos, having three in different room. Perhaps this is a cross-infection from your husband, picked up during his grand piano searching on eBay.

Thank you got that donation to the understanding of the disease - I must mention it to my wife!

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »

Trouble started when the new box arrived - I didn't want to hurt the old one's feelings,
I think they like to have company...one on thier own gets lonely..like pets

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »

Needing another melodeon with a different sound, or in a different key is normal wih MAD.
But justifying another one on the basis that it is needed in a different room is, I believe, a new symptom for MAD.
Andy
Quite the norm I would think.  What happens when inspiration hits you, there's no time to be rushing off to another room.  The same goes for putting them away.  By the time you get them out of their case/bag etc the moment is lost.  I appreciate it is difficult for the more affluent with several homes, caravans boats etc and perhaps you don't need replica's of every key/sound in every location but in an ideal world !!!!!    ;) :||:
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2009, 12:59:53 PM »

For some reason every time I get the urge to by a melodeon...I go buy something (slightly less expensive) else instead.

Kautilya

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »

For some reason every time I get the urge to by a melodeon...I go buy something (slightly less expensive) else instead.

For those afflicted with MAD, be comforted -- you are not alone and there is help out there:
http://www.lymmfolkclub.org.uk/to_a_visitor.html

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »

I was given a 2 stop, 1 row Hohner many years ago ....... it is good for having in the bedroom

Now there's an endorsement you don't see every day.... >:E
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »

I was given a 2 stop, 1 row Hohner many years ago ....... it is good for having in the bedroom

As I understand it GPS is for finding your way about.  Yours must be brilliant as your quote pre dates the thread start by a couple of weeks - are you a time traveller, does your GPS do more than anyone elses ?    ???
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Graham Spencer

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2011, 07:34:12 PM »

As I understand it GPS is for finding your way about.  Yours must be brilliant as your quote pre dates the thread start by a couple of weeks - are you a time traveller, does your GPS do more than anyone elses ?    ???

Well, according to the dates displayed on my computer, the thread was started nearly 3 years ago.........May 16 2008.  On the other hand, as GPS are (is?) my initials, I suppose I could be said to have predated technology..... :D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »

:|bl  I'm in need of a time compass.  Didn't read the year, hadn't expected a thread exhumation.  grovelling apologies.

Graham Spencer

« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2011, 08:00:38 PM »

:|bl  I'm in need of a time compass.  Didn't read the year, hadn't expected a thread exhumation.  grovelling apologies.

No apologies necessary - I hadn't looked at the original date of the thread either, but it popped up when I went to "unread posts since last visit". 

Cheers
Graham

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal