Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: melodious knee  (Read 1747 times)

ACE

melodious knee
« on: November 06, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »

I'm a bouncey sort of player, I did not know how much I relied on my right foot banging up and down on the floor. I am recovering from a total right knee replacement, so I thought I would use the time to perfect a few numbers I have played but not mastered completely. Useless! I cannot get the oomph or the timing. Even though my  pinkies can still whizz up and down the buttons like little pink maggots with St. Vitus dance, the left leg does not know what the right hand is doing, even a slow waltz is painful to listen too.

It will get better, but just a warning to other players, take care of the knees and the tunes will look after theirselves ;D

Is there a medical complaint known  as melodeon knees?
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: melodious knee
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:08:21 AM »

Is there a medical complaint known as melodeon knees?

In a word - no. But the metal in some artificial knee designs is magnetic. It stops them setting off terrorist alarms in airports, and also helps keep their components located 'anatomically' (the surgeon will leave the natural ligaments intact - unless the op was for trauma).

There are anecdotal reports of this causing problems with musical instruments. Steel guitar strings seem unaffected though the wound strings on cellos seem to change tone, if not pitch.

It's believed that  the vibration of a steel reed (especially the longer low ones) sets up eddy currents though the block that are then open/close circuited in a complex way as the tongue moves.

I don't personally have a PhD in electrophysics, so this is very much the simple man's explanation.

The problem may be improved as you get used to the different 'attack' on your instrument, and nearly all physiotherapy departments will have someone interested in 'Faradism'  ;)

Otherwise -  my own university(!) is investigating methods of de-Gaussing which look promising.  ::)
  _       _    _      _ 

ACE

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »

WOW! I am amazed, would be even more so if I had undstood it ;D But I gather ghist of the answer is I can now start a new career modeling fridge magnates ;)

Next time I see the physio terrorists, I will find out if I can produce lightning sparks when I get around to dancing again. Also if I can control the random clicks it makes I can throw away my spoons and bones and just sit in a session twitching my knee ;)

Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »

Next time I see the physio terrorists, I will find out if I can produce lightning sparks when I get around to dancing again. Also if I can control the random clicks it makes I can throw away my spoons and bones and just sit in a session twitching my knee ;)
And if you're ever in an amplified band, you won't need a microphone - just wrap a couple of turns of cable around your knee and it'll pick up all the soundman needs ;)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal