Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E Bay Aaaghhhh!  (Read 5598 times)

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
E Bay Aaaghhhh!
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:43:34 AM »

Hi
Am I alone with this problem.? I don't use bidnappers etc but sit and wait like the technophobe I am.
Recently I have made bids with what I think are reasonable time intervals left but been told bidding has finished.  I have found this even when there are 3minutes to go. So much for eBay's claim that you can still bid with seconds to go!
My computer clock is accurate.
Another problem has been bids to foreign countries where I have ascertained that the seller is happy to sell to England. Then when made a bid been told my bid is invalid as the item is restricted to the country of origin. How do you get round this?
It can't benefit sellers as they are deprived of a chance of a higher sale price.

As usual eBay is impossible to contact!

Frustrated of Sheffield
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

Pushpull

• Regular debater
Re: E Bay Aaaghhhh!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »

Hi
Am I alone with this problem.? I don't use bidnappers etc but sit and wait like the technophobe I am.
Recently I have made bids with what I think are reasonable time intervals left but been told bidding has finished.  I have found this even when there are 3minutes to go. So much for eBay's claim that you can still bid with seconds to go!
My computer clock is accurate.

I habitually snipe within the last few seconds and I've only ever had a problem if the snipe software failed to fire (or I forgot to place the snipe), never with auctions ending early.

Roy.

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »

I've never seen auctions finish early. However I do use sniping software if it is something I really want. Plus it stops you overspending - you set your maximum then let nature take its course!

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »

Do you refresh your screen frequently while waiting for the end of auction?

If you bring up the bid page and place a bid, then wait without doing anything you will miss the "action". This is why you must use the "refresh" button repeatedly to keep the data current to the very last second.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:13:43 PM by qubcois »
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F, HA112 in C,
riced-up de-branded Ariette, Hohner Erica A/D

mikesamwild

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:06:44 AM »

Thanks that is good advice ! I'll give it another next time I'm bidding but it has made me wary.
Mike in Sheffield

finnhorse

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 03:24:17 PM »

I only ever bid inside of the last 90 seconds or so.  I use Firefox and keep two tabs open.  One watches the auction page, and the other I use to bid and rebid if necessary.  Refreshing both tabs every few seconds keeps the information current.  I've never used sniping software, but for a very competitive auction I can see how it would help.

Kevin Mack

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 12:17:59 AM »

Hi Mike,
I always bid last minute, never had a problem. Refreshing is good, I agree, but I go by the published end-time. I also have an improved clock on my pc, that has seconds showing. I also synchronise my clock online, if I'm intending to bid.
Do all that, and you'll never be let down.
If you fancy the improved clock, email me and I'll send you the setup.exe. It's a tiny program, but nice.

Gloucester Lad  Can't play (much)  Can fix  Can tune

meltzer

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 09:23:19 AM »

I only ever bid inside of the last 90 seconds or so.  I use Firefox and keep two tabs open.  One watches the auction page, and the other I use to bid and rebid if necessary. 
I downloaded the Firefox EBay assistant, which is quite handy. It auto-refreshes, and you get a pop-up alert if you're outbid. The frequency of the auto-refresh depends on how long there is left on your auction -- when it gets into the last few minutes, it's refreshing constantly.

mikesamwild

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 10:42:22 AM »

I think I worked out where I was going wrong in these instances. EBay only allows you to enter time of start in 15 minute intervals if you schedule in advance. If you enter them there and then  it gives an end time  in between that.   I must have been looking at 'End time = 19.30.00 , the nearest quarter hour time  but actually it was say 19.28.32). I tried it out and all's well, just got beaten by a sniper!
Thanks for all the advice. It's been useful.
How much do these snipers cost?
Mike in Sheffield

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
    • Button Box Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 12:44:02 PM »

Thanks for all the advice. It's been useful.

Take a look at AuctionSniper.com
It's "no win - no fee", ~1% of winning bid, and you usually get a number of free snipes to start with.

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »

They vary. Some run as a service on external servers (so the snipe will fire if your PC is switched off). There is usually a flat rate or percentage charge for these. You can also get sniping software which runs on your own machine but of course it then needs to be running for the snipe to work. Loads of these are freeware or shareware. I use one of these called JBidwatch but that's mac specific.

Roy.

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »

I've also used AuctionSniper and found it very effective. Its a web-based service so you can set it up and forget about it. However you do get notified if the auction goes above your max bid.
You certainly got some free Snipes when you sign up, and I think you get more free ones if you refer a friend.
Well worth a try.
Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

David Pike

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 12:15:03 AM »

Can anyone help a Luddite ? What is Sniping ? If you enter your maximun bid (at the highest you are prepared to go) presumably you win unless a later bidder goes higher ?

Am I missing something ?

Thanks,

David
(sadly my playing is only marginally better than my IT !)

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 09:17:44 AM »

Can anyone help a Luddite ? What is Sniping ? If you enter your maximun bid (at the highest you are prepared to go) presumably you win unless a later bidder goes higher ?

Yes correct. Sniping is entering the highest bid you want within the last few seconds of the auction, thereby avoiding "showing your cards" earlier. It can result in a lower winning bid.

Sniping can be done manually within Ebay by counting the clock down and clicking the "Confirm" button as late as you dare, but most commonly snipers use add on software or a web based service to enter the bid at a pre-determined time. That way you don't need to be sitting at your computer to enter the bid.

Roy.

David Pike

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 07:41:30 PM »

Thanks Roy,

David

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 08:56:25 PM »

Dunno about anybody else.... but d'you think eBay has lost the plot?

First this turd of a new search system (seriously, does anybody like it?). Now it seems the only search results one can see on the .co.uk site are solely items listed with PayPal. This means 99% of all German listings (including many old Hohner squeezeboxes) are effectively blocked. Seems this might have been done by the same goon who decided to compel every seller in the UK (but not Ireland) to offer PayPal... >:( >:( >:(

OK - one can access most of this stuff via their .com site (using advanced search), but for how long?

With the economy as it is, why are they trying to make it harder to use?

Ed J

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 09:10:34 PM »

Dunno about anybody else.... but d'you think eBay has lost the plot?

First this turd of a new search system (seriously, does anybody like it?). Now it seems the only search results one can see on the .co.uk site are solely items listed with PayPal. This means 99% of all German listings (including many old Hohner squeezeboxes) are effectively blocked. Seems this might have been done by the same goon who decided to compel every seller in the UK (but not Ireland) to offer PayPal... >:( >:( >:(

OK - one can access most of this stuff via their .com site (using advanced search), but for how long?

With the economy as it is, why are they trying to make it harder to use?

Ed J

I've got some stuff listed on eBay at the moment, and it's selling ok, but for loads of items they've insisted on Paypal only (and I often get buyers who'd rather pay by cheque, or cash on collection), on several, quite low value things, they've said they'll hold a charge against payments for 21 days, we can no longer leave negative or neutral feedback on buyers, they send automatic letters to people that don't make any sense, I cannot for the life of me work out how to register a payment address with them, the new search system is complete pants. You can no longer sell downloadable materials, which I think is a great shame for the writers of pamphlets and books on esoteric subjects; I've very happily bought PDFs through eBay before.  Obviously they're a business, they can do what they like. But combined with the fact that my post office is closing and I'll soon have to queue to post any parcel that won't fit in a postbox, I am wondering whether the game is worth the candle.

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 11:28:01 PM »

If you want to look at German sellers surely the best way has always been to go direct to the German site?
Have to agree that eBay seem to be getting worse by the day, which is probably half the reason why more people are wanting to sell on forums such as this one. Allegedly all this insistence on Paypal is to safeguard buyers but I am inclined to think that it is primarily to ensure that eBay get an extra slice of the cake!
Regards, Bruce

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 11:01:53 PM »

If you want to look at German sellers surely the best way has always been to go direct to the German site?

Well yes, that works too, if you can work round the language differences - not too difficult. I like trying this, and the French site too... categories are different, which throws new results up, whatever you're looking for...

From what I gather, they tried to launch the clunky new search on eBay.de a while back, but it seems to have been just as unpopular, and was quietly dropped...

Ed J
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:03:38 PM by EeeJay »

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 01:01:34 PM »

Well yes, that works too, if you can work round the language differences - not too difficult. I like trying this, and the French site too... categories are different, which throws new results up, whatever you're looking for...

From what I gather, they tried to launch the clunky new search on eBay.de a while back, but it seems to have been just as unpopular, and was quietly dropped...

Ed J

The Preciosa that I just bought on ebay.de didn't show up in any of the Ebay search engines -- not the UK one with worldwide search enable, and not even the German one -- presumably because the seller refused to use PayPal.

I only found it many pages down a Google search buried among loads of old dead links. Even once I found it I couldn't get back to it at all by searching within Ebay, except by directly entering the item number.

http://tinyurl.com/6xgq5d
Oakwood Model 4, Castagnari Dony, Castagnari Tommy, Baffetti Binci, Hohner Preciosa, Melos, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.