Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question re: spring tension  (Read 2036 times)

RGF

• Regular debater
Question re: spring tension
« on: May 16, 2008, 06:22:13 PM »

HI, all.

Well, I'm just starting to reassemble this latest project, an old pressed wood Hohner 2-row C/F. I was careful to keep seperate the bass side and treble side springs. Now that I've got the treble side mechanism reassembled and I'm tensioning the springs, I notice some very distinct differences in spring resistance at the buttons. My question is, are there two different springs, dependent on which row they are installed? i.e. stiffer springs for the longer-levered outer row, and weaker for the shorter arms?

Alternately, do the bass and treble sides use different springs, in which case someone might have swapped some of these previously?

And, if there are different springs used, how might their proper location be identified?

Hope somebody can help me out with this!

Thanks,
Bob

RGF

• Regular debater
Re: Question re: spring tension
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »

Well, I think perhaps I've been able to answer my own question, but confirmation from anyone with more expertise is always welcome. (Which I think might be just about most of you!)  I put the calipers on each of the springs, and there are ten of them that are about .020" and eleven of them that are more on the order of .025". I assume, then, that the stiffer springs go with the longer levers of the G row.

Likewise, I've now looked at the bass side springs (as yet unassembled) and see that there are four that are set at an angle, and four that are rather straight. (In their relaxed state.) Here again, I'm assuming that the stronger springs should be assembled on the four longer, or 'chord' lever arms, so that the clamping force out there is equal to that of the shorter arms. Is this correct?

Thanks once again,
Bob

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
Re: Question re: spring tension
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:57:13 PM »

Treble springs Are different strengths. New ones used to be colour coded black/silver but cannot recall which were which!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal