Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting box...Irish tuning?  (Read 3591 times)

Andrew Culwell

Interesting box...Irish tuning?
« on: November 20, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »

This was sold on Ebay recently and I'm interested in expert opinions on it.  I haven't seen any like it.  Any guesses as to it's tuning?  Irish perhaps?  looks like it was in NZ

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=230550104702&si=c7YAFLcEzZ2NAIi4myNGn21FwMw%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Don't ask me if I bought it because I'm not sure if I'm ready to confess that kind of foolishness openly!
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Interesting box...Irish tuning?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »

Not any help really but kind of like the fitting on the treble end which I assume is to support a music holder?

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »

Looks very nice (:) When restored could potentially be a really nice box. I've played a 1910 12 bass Paolo Soprani 2 row with a flat metal keyboard and it was absolutely amazing.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:30:06 PM »

I've seen them on Ebay, formerly more often than now, but usually in G/C tuning. Unless someone along the way converted it? I recall a certain mel.netter who has one of these converted to half-step tuning.

Lars

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 01:50:42 AM »

The flat keyboard model of this 1930's Paolo Soprani are all originally semitone tuning. I've seen B/C and C/C# versions around. Great boxes, but they need a whole lot of work unless they've been kept exceptionally well, or recently restored. Can't beat the sound, though.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 01:09:10 AM »

The flat keyboard model of this 1930's Paolo Soprani are all originally semitone tuning.

Sorry, Lars, but I can't agree with you. My green one, which we spoke of before, has the identically shaped right-hand end including the flat engraved keyboard as this one has. Definitely in G/C and no evidence that it was ever anything else.

The seller was right in his description about "loud" if it is anything like mine; probably the loudest box I've ever played, and looks of similar dimensions, so probably a 3 voice.

Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 02:05:32 AM »

Well I bought the box hoping it was a b/c.  Now I'm not sure what I will do if it arrives and it's G/C.  If there was a way to change it to b/c with the same kind of sound then I would keep it but that may be a bit of an expensive proposition.  I knew that paying as much as I did for a box that was a mystery was a risk so we shall see.  Your box however is 12 bass so I still have hopes that this box is in b/c.  I have to say thought that the colour of that box is marvelously ghastly!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 02:09:42 AM by A.J. Culwell »

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 05:48:32 AM »

I have to say thought that the colour of that box is marvelously ghastly!

You no lika da colour????

Better than pink...     >:E  (as per recent thread I can no longer find....)

And it's not that "baby poo" green like my chemnitzer...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:28:40 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 06:18:04 AM »

Actually, A.J., judging by the probable condition of your new box, the reeds may all have to come out for cleaning and revalving, and I doubt it would add too much work or cost to convert it to B/C if it is, in fact, G/C.

From my experience, Paolo reeds seem to be very forgiving compared with some others, and moving the G set of reeds down one chamber and a bit of *careful* tuning (no more than a semitone) would probably not be too detremental to the tone. A couple of the highest reeds may have to be imported, and also the accidentals (if any) would need replacing on both rows, but certainly a feasible remodelling which I've done many times.

However, I hope for your sake that it is a B/C already. Fingers crossed....

Lars

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 03:52:49 PM »

Ah yes, I totally forgot about the green beast. I did see that one on ebay way back when it was on.

I've got a monstrous 4 voice version, very big box, very big sound. B/C, but it needed more work than you can imagine. Someone decided to rewax it with red candle-wax, and use carboard strips (from an old cereal box) for valves...

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »

Lars do you think that the fact that the box is 8 bass might mean it's more likely to be B/C?  Or does that not enter into it?

Lars

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 04:33:44 PM »

Lars do you think that the fact that the box is 8 bass might mean it's more likely to be B/C?  Or does that not enter into it?

Nope. It's just that the 6 simliar ones I've come across all have been in B/C, with a single one in C/C#.

It MIGHT be the case that B/C was what they wanted in Ireland, and G/C was what they wanted down under - like the Busilacchio boxes that was made for the aussie marked being made in G/C and C/C#. I'm sure Malcolm will know more about the common keys for the boxes down there.

I've sent you an email about this box, btw.

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 06:10:46 PM »

Well I see a lot of c/c# and b/c boxes come out of New Zealand and that's really why I bid on that particular box.  I actually had just bought a mint Swiss Black Double Ray from the same seller and thought that maybe lightning can strike twice.  We will see!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal