Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you play such and such?  (Read 4212 times)

strad

• Respected Sage
Can you play such and such?
« on: December 01, 2010, 03:11:27 PM »

I've just been looking through The Prairie Mountain Fiddlers tune list and found the names of a number of tunes I've being playing for a while. Yet, because I learn by ear as well as from the dots, I was never aware of the tune names.  And in sessions someone will ask 'do you know such and such a tune?' and I say No. But when I hear the first two or three notes my brain says I know it. How am I ever going to get round this problem? A new brain is not an option.

Nigel

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
Re: Can you play such and such?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 03:24:31 PM »

You are not alone!
I do remember peoples' faces but I can't remember their names... Similar problem! I do know many tunes and can't remember the names. Often we know the tune under another name. No easy solution. Some brain training might help.

A music library is something that can help. As a memory exercise I often randomly pick a name in my (iTunes) library and try to remember the tune, then play it, then compare with the recording. I also indicate alternate names for the tunes.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 03:25:51 PM »

Easy.

When someone asks 'do you know such and such a tune?'  Don't say 'no', say 'maybe, how does it start?'
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 03:43:27 PM »

I usually say something like 'I'm not sure. How does it go?' Then it turns out they're trying to think how it starts so we can all play it. Ain't it just frustrating!! :'( Need a hissyfit emoticon!

Nigel

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »

Yep, I have the same problem. Frustrating, isn't it?
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 04:39:07 PM »

When I hear a tune in a session which I like- I always ask  for the name. Musicians seem to be divided into 2 groups - those who need to know the name to be able to play the tune (includes me) and those who don't (includes my wife)   
Paul
Location NE Fife

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 04:49:22 PM »

When I hear a tune in a session which I like- I always ask  for the name. Musicians seem to be divided into 2 groups - those who need to know the name to be able to play the tune (includes me) and those who don't (includes my wife)   

...but it's then really frustrating when they either don't know, or can't remember! Mind you, this has started happening to me recently. First sign of ageing?

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 05:02:49 PM »

I've noticed a fair number of people who jot down tune names in a pad at sessions, presumably to research and learn later.  Often, though, I can't remember which tune I'm playing but know which recording I learnt it from.  In future I'll make a point of offering that information when asked for a name.

Rob.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 05:41:21 PM »

I've noticed a fair number of people who jot down tune names in a pad at sessions, presumably to research and learn later.  Often, though, I can't remember which tune I'm playing but know which recording I learnt it from.  In future I'll make a point of offering that information when asked for a name.

Rob.

I did that for a bit, but have never learned any of them.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 05:57:05 PM »

It may be just me but I like not only to know tune names but some history/back story, for instance Albert Farmer of the Bonfire Tune fame lived in Lingfield in Surrey, Lemmy Brazil was a woman and her surname is pronounced Braa-zil.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 08:24:19 PM »

The issue is further complicated by some tunes having more than one title - for instance "The Girl With The Blue Dress On" also goes by (at least!) the names "The Big Ship" and "Glise de Sherbrook"; and there are totally different tunes sharing the same title - for instance "Bonny Breast Knot" from Sussex is nothing like "Bonny Breast Knot" from Devon; not to mention commonly played variants of tunes which are very close but JUST different enough to sound uncomfortable when played simultaneously............
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

HallelujahAl

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 08:46:27 PM »

I often get requests...yeah..you know the rest!
 ;D

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 08:48:06 PM »

When I hear a tune in a session which I like- I always ask  for the name.
So do I , but how often do I remember it?

I've noticed a fair number of people who jot down tune names in a pad at sessions, presumably to research and learn later.
If only I were so organised  :(
Some also record them, and clearly learn them because they come back two weeks later playing them  :|bl

Then there's that quote from some famous traditional musician: "if you know the names of all the tunes you don't know enough tunes!"
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 11:07:30 PM »

Then there's that quote from some famous traditional musician: "if you know the names of all the tunes you don't know enough tunes!"

Right, that's my excuse now :P I know well over 1000 (well enough to fumble along to at least) but know the names to under 50.

Rob2Hook

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 11:52:14 AM »

OK, the most organized at a session... ?

Some years ago there was a lunchtime session in Crondall, organized by Ed Rennie (before he moved west).  Ed set up his recorder with the mic clipped to the curtains behind him.  After each burst of music, he asked the name of any tunes he didn't recognize and recorded the names, whispering them into the folds of the curtain!

As the Bismarks' guests included the Posh Band and some of the Committee Band it was no surprise when the barman said "I didn't know there was so much talent around!"

Rob.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 08:07:36 PM »

Many moons ago, I remember the start of a nice dinnertime session, with a bit of :|glug
then a little  :||:  :|glug :||:....you know how it is....
For some reason Dave Hunt was down and we had some lovely little chats before it got too intense.
The conversation went onto this topic - and remembering tune titles.
He remembered a time before when he was playing with one of the old lads, I think an old barge man who had a nice selection of tunes.
After a tune Dave would ask " what's that one called?
Answer " Pigeon on a gate"
" Ahhh that's a nice tune - what's it called?" answer " pigeon on a gate...."
..and this went on for a good old time.
In the end the inevitable question was asked " But they're all 'Pigeon on a gate' "

The reply came back " Yes, but different pigeon, different gate!"
It always makes me smile!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Noodle

• Louder is better, right?
  • Regular debater
  • Occasionally actually helpful
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 01:01:21 AM »

With me, I've not long returned to the folk scene (My Dad's a dancer and so I was carted around to various morris and folk events when I was younger). There are a few I can remember and play from relative memory, but I can only tell you the name of just a few. As the list of tunes I know steadily grows it may comfort you older members that as a 21 year old I can often forget the name of a tune or remember the name but not the tune.

If someone else hums or starts it and I know it, I'll join in but I'll be buggered if I'll start a tune in a session
Nottingham, UK.

Hohners: HA114 (C), HA114 (G)*, Liliput (C/F), Preciosa (C/F)*, 1040 (G), Imperial. Dino Baffetti Binci III (D/G), Self-made Pariselle 2.6 (G/C), Soberano (C/F), Nopka garmoshka (F#)*.

One day I'll get really good, like those really good players. One day.
*to be fixed

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 10:46:40 AM »

I find that it is just a question of being organised. I try never to go to a session without a sheaf of address cards and a pen and notepad.

If I play a tune that someone else likes, I tell them the name and offer to send them the dots or a recording of me playing the tune, if they don't read music. I give them an address card on the back of which I write the name of the tune, suggesting that they e-mail me with a request to send the dots or a recording.

If someone else plays a tune I like, I ask them for its name (if they know it) and make a note. I also ask them if they have the dots and if they could send me a copy. Again, I give them my address card with the name of the tune on the back. If they don't have the dots, I look it up on the internet and in most, but not all, cases, I am able to find it.

A large part of my repertoire has been learnt in this way. Currently, I am learning In the Toyshop from a jaunty recording that Andy Dennis of the Catsfield Steamers sent me after I heard him play it in a session.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Rob2Hook

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 03:17:43 PM »

In the Toyshop from a jaunty recording that Andy Dennis of the Catsfield Steamers sent me after I heard him play it in a session.[/color]

You'll also find this from Flowers and Frolics.

Rob.

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 04:05:38 PM »

Some tunes can easily be linked to their titles by imagining the title being sung to the opening bars. Actually singing this, even in the privacy of your own bath/car, will help make the link. That's why song tunes are much easier to remember than tunes that are simply labels for melodies.

Marje
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal