Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: EATMT - Melodeons and more - 26th March 2011 discussion  (Read 32166 times)

Peter G

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Pokerwork, Castagnari Tommy
Re: EATMT - Melodeons and more - 26th March 2011 discussion
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2011, 02:58:18 PM »

On yer, mate!/righto my lover/reet, love etc!
 ;D

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2011, 10:24:19 AM »

What lovely tunes to learn .  Mad rush next week I think. :|||:

There was talk of a session on Friday night. Has anyone organised a get together ? If not then Jans recommendation of Royal William could be a possibility again. I think Chas , Jans, Isla and Susie are in town......Anyone else  ???

or any other recommendations.  ???

Sandy
 (:)

Jan Ivarson

• My wife says I do not need another Hohner
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2011, 08:54:25 AM »

There was talk of a session on Friday night. Has anyone organised a get together ? If not then Jans recommendation of Royal William could be a possibility again. I think Chas , Jans, Isla and Susie are in town......Anyone else  ???

(:)

Chas promised to give the Royal William a call. I hope he post their answer on MelNet.

Jan

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2011, 01:40:29 PM »

Had a really nice day. It was great to meet so many familiar faces. Plus I was really happy that finally I could keep up in both classes. Usually I struggle in at least one.
(I signed mum up for absolute beginners) and she's actually been practicing what she learned. I recognise the eeks and erks. lol!
And Steve...naughty teasing me with that gorgeous spangly black melodeon.

Got some photo's and videos. The videos will take a while for me to upload so stick to pictures for now.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v28/imbored22001/melodeons%20and%20more%202011/

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2011, 02:16:49 PM »

There's no way Steve's going to let that little beauty out of his hands. I had a go on the other one, very nice box.
Looking forward to rest of videos and pics...

Highlights for me, in roughly chronological order:
- nice session at the Royal William on Friday night
- Introducing LDT to Barry Askew and hopefully solving 1-row strap problem with his £5 wooden gadget (does it work?)
- Finally meting Nicky Stockman and putting a long-known name to a face
- meeting many other friends old and new, of course.
- workshops being more of a success that the disastrous last one I did one for EATMT (I was clueless then)
- Percy and Doreen stepdancing at the ceilidh
- Sandy voting for Isle of France with BOTH HANDS! (plus I didn't realize "lovely tunes" remark above was possibly referring to our afternoon workshop. I hope everyone else liked them as much)
- Big turnout of our workshop participants for showcase  :Ph
- Meeting Will Pound and hearing him play - exceptional!
- Everyone (else) in the concert. Really inspiring - I'm going to have to do some practice!

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »

There's no way Steve's going to let that little beauty out of his hands. I had a go on the other one, very nice box.
Looking forward to rest of videos and pics...

:)

- Introducing LDT to Barry Askew and hopefully solving 1-row strap problem with his £5 wooden gadget (does it work?)
Yes it does. My strap was just the right tight/looseness for it to fit in. Bargain at a fiver. Thanks for that.

- Percy and Doreen stepdancing at the ceilidh
Managed to get a vid of that...its in my upload list.

- Sandy voting for Isle of France with BOTH HANDS!
wish I'd have thought of that.

Mary Humphreys

• Mary Humphreys
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »

It was good to have more than one English concertina at our workshops. Thanks for signing up.
I always feel that the E concertina is rather overlooked at events like this because it has that "classical"  cachet.
It can play dance music just as well as a melodeon or Anglo - the  many players from the North-East prove it.
My favourites from the weekend were:
The Royal William session where I could mess about on the Hohner Pokerwork without anyone looking daggers at me for all the bum notes that I played. ( I don't play melodeon.)
Will Pound who was a revelation - I didn't know that mouth-organs did things like that!
Paul Scourfield who played the most wonderful set of tunes starting with one of Flos Headford's and morphing into a Playford tune. I couldn't hear the join. It was miraculous! I want the dots!
Playing for the ceilidh at lunchtime with Simon Ritchie - what a player! I am SO glad we played one of his tunes - The Valiant - for dancing. It ought to be played by everyone.
Hope everyone enjoyed our workshops - they were intended to challenge you!
If you want any more William Clarke tunes try:http://www.maryhumphreys.co.uk/WilliamClarketunes.abc

Mary Humphreys

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2011, 04:08:33 PM »

Sorry I had to give it a miss this year -- but with a bit of luck I'll be back there, or at Witney, next year. Glad everyone had such a nice time!

LIAM-ROBINSON

• Good talker
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »

Mary and Anahata - your concert spot was fabulous....the two concertinas together sounded amazing...i could have listened to that all night..beautiful precise playing......other highlights for me inlcuded Simon Care dancing and playing, the lunchtime step dancing, which I wish I had filmed and of course meeting so many friends new and old....what a fantastic day, well done to everyone who took part! :-)

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »

It was good to have more than one English concertina at our workshops. Thanks for signing up.
I always feel that the E concertina is rather overlooked at events like this because it has that "classical"  cachet.
It can play dance music just as well as a melodeon or Anglo - the  many players from the North-East prove it.
My favourites from the weekend were:
The Royal William session where I could mess about on the Hohner Pokerwork without anyone looking daggers at me for all the bum notes that I played. ( I don't play melodeon.)
Will Pound who was a revelation - I didn't know that mouth-organs did things like that!
Paul Scourfield who played the most wonderful set of tunes starting with one of Flos Headford's and morphing into a Playford tune. I couldn't hear the join. It was miraculous! I want the dots!
Playing for the ceilidh at lunchtime with Simon Ritchie - what a player! I am SO glad we played one of his tunes - The Valiant - for dancing. It ought to be played by everyone.
Hope everyone enjoyed our workshops - they were intended to challenge you!
If you want any more William Clarke tunes try:http://www.maryhumphreys.co.uk/WilliamClarketunes.abc

I used to have an EC - I played the Ballydesmond polka and some Swedish polska tunes on it. Absolutely beautiful! I would still play (dance music) it if the thumb strap screws hadn't broken. Thanks for a fabulous concert and nice workshops!! I'll definitely check out more Clarke tunes when time allows!!!

melodeonplayer

« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2011, 08:25:51 PM »

Highlights for me were definitely listening to Anahata and Mary doing the two concertina thing...amazing and enthralling.......and hearing Liam sing........and Paul playing dave Whetstones tune
great day
well done katie

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2011, 12:09:39 AM »

I would still play (dance music) it if the thumb strap screws hadn't broken.

Steve Dickinson could replace them. He lives only a few km away in Stowmarket. See Wheatstone Concertinas I expect you're miles away now, but he might be able to post you some replacements, if you can identify the type of concertina.

So could Mike Acott who was at Mendlesham (but most likely he'd buy the bits from Steve anyway!)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2011, 04:42:09 AM »

Yes, I'm miles away  :-[ If/when I get that concertina back (I left it with someone who would fix it but hasn't so far after 3 years) I actually want to sell it or exchange it in some way to get a better anglo. Especially the little Jones one that Mike Acott had with him at Mendlesham.

Karl Stevens

« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »

I was sorry not to be able to make the event this year.  The first miss since starting playing.  I hope that next year, or even by November for Witney, I'll be back in the community...  All the very best to all the MelNetters out there that I haven't caught up with in a while.  Karl.

Paul Scourfield

• Paul Scourfield Homepage
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2011, 01:53:22 PM »

Really enjoyed the melodeon day.  Great concert spots - hearing Will Pound play was a real revelation!  Thought the duo with Simon worked really well - hope to hear that again soon!  The way Mary and Anahata played concertinas in perfect unison at the beginning of that tune set was amazing - sounded like one instrument playing!

Mary - remembered this morning that I have put the Flos tune set on youtube.  Here is a link.  Tunes are The Tannerman / All in a Garden Green.  I think the Tannerman was intended as a polka, but I have slowed it down somewhat!  Don't tell Flos...............  Recorded at the Squeezing Shropshire event last year.  There are a few other tracks on Youtube from this concert.  Will put a link up on the Recordings forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tw8bHaWEsk

Cheers

Paul

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2011, 03:27:04 PM »

Hi

Several people tried the new Manfrini melodeon I had on show at the weekend,the cherry finish and the black model that Steve Dumpleton had with him.

These were the prototypes and the first production boxes are coming in the next 2 weeks

If anyone who tried them would like to post a review on ''Makes and Models'' I would appreciate it.

Many thanks to all at Mendlsham who tried the boxes and to the organisers who were very friendly and helpful.

Pete

www.acorninstruments.co.uk

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:16:21 PM by jilly »
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2011, 04:21:45 PM »

All videos are 'unlisted' which means you can only see them if you have the link.

Many thanks to LdT for providing such excellent video and photo coverage of M&M for those of us who must live most of our melodeon lives vicariously. The images this year are especially effective at conveying what I take to be the overall feeling of the event, and I'm sure others will join me in finding them both entertaining and informative.
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2011, 08:48:09 PM »

Well done Sarah. My wrong note is there forever !

Enjoyed it though.

Cheers  :|glug

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »

Don't think anyone noticed the wrong note chas.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal