Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 stop Irish single row eBay purchase?  (Read 9887 times)

Andrew Culwell

4 stop Irish single row eBay purchase?
« on: December 14, 2010, 01:33:29 AM »

Sounds interesting but no...I got overly exuberant in bidding for a 4 stop Irish single row but nothing green!
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:47:51 AM »

I think I know both those boxes...

Green one, but the buttons aren't black, I think it was available along with a small burgundy/red one of different make, from member g.mu6. It didn't sell the first time and is still available. Might not be the same box.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Small-old-button-accordion-/130463028423

And the expensive one-row A.J. - did you win it? I was trying to figure out the reason it got so high, other than the provenance.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180597014202

:||: :||: :||:

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 02:25:08 AM »

Yes that's the one, I immediately experienced buyers remorse.  The provenance was the most exciting thing to me as I really am into the history of that era and particularly Irish American music hall culture, the clincher was the shape it's in.  Of course I don't even play the one row that well.  It really is just a piece of history that appealed to me.  It was way overpriced, but I have never seen one like it, I'm sure Paul Groff can weigh in and enlighten me as to how rare it is.  Of course who knows what I will do with it, I might even trade it down the line for something that I will play more.  

That's the reason I'm selling my black Double Ray.  I just can't justify that kind of price tag without offsetting it.  I guess you could just call it an early Christmas gift.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:27:13 AM by A.J. Culwell »

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 02:03:03 PM »

Actually I think it's more along the lines of a Globe Melodeon.  Which a number of folks in this parrish own and consider to be of some value, that said it could be what you say.   The value is really in the markings and the provenance. Including the original box marked as O'byrne Dewitt.  Some may scoff at this, but the idea wasn't to buy it just to play it but for it's uniqueness and it's history.  That said it may turn out to be a foolish purchase.  I knew that before I hit the enter button.   I believe thought that it's a Globe Melodeon, very similar to my other Globe.  On the face of it the price is exhorbitant, but I'm pleased with what I see so far. "One mans trash is another mans treasure"

pgroff

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:34:37 PM »

Drew (A. J.),

If you are referring to this one, mentioned by cpsmart above:

"... the expensive one-row A.J. - did you win it? I was trying to figure out the reason it got so high, other than the provenance.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180597014202"

Yes, these O'Byrne DeWitt labeled Dienst Internationals are similar in quality and construction to the Meisel- imported Globes.  I have at least one similar OBD International 1-row 4-stop that was reportedly bought by the father of one of my pals at the new OBD shop around 1925. That one is in G, MMHH, but obviously D would have been common. Great accordions of their type, and your new one is really in spectacular condition. Don't break those bellows clasps -- I'd take them off, replace with metal ones you can fabricate or leather ones, and save the originals aside.  Also, don't retune it right away -- gently clean, releather, and re-wax the reeds (which is a pain due to the glued-down blocks) and note down the original pitch and the (probably) beautiful original unequal temperament.  Yes, C# and F# will be flat!  Is G also tuned flat on this? And what about B, E, and A?

Take lots of pics including the writing on the accordion and the box (before that crumbles) and send them to Steve Chambers!

You paid a lot but no more than a new Weltmeister melodeon and it is amazing to find one like yours in such condition.

PG
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:09:16 PM by pgroff »

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »

On the face of it the price is exhorbitant, but I'm pleased with what I see so far. "One mans trash is another mans treasure"

Absolutely - I couldn't agree more. What matters is that you're happy with it, and I really hope it does turn out that Theo and I are wrong! I'll be interested to see what history you eventually dig up.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »

Oops this is like two threads in one!  Confusing to say the least.  So Paul, I will do as you say.  I'm very interested to see what this box looks and sounds like.  the bellows I'm told are air tight and in fantastic shape.  I'm sure the valves and reeds need some attention but I'm anxious to have the box back to it's original tuning and fettle.  Since I am in no way equipped or versed enough in restoration I don't know who to go to for this job.  Paul if you know of anyone that is capable and willing then let me know.  I'm planning to keep it all original although if the reeds are screwed in I'm more than likely going to go with Waxed in for practicality.  What is your take on this? 

pgroff

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 06:03:34 PM »

Hi Drew,

Why not post some pics when it arrives?

Hey, does everyone agree it might make sense to ask a moderator to split this thread and/or for Drew to start another one for his O'Byrne DeWitt International?  BTW later this month I may be able to photo mine as well.

PG

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: 4 stop Irish single row eBay purchase?
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:41:22 PM »

Topics split.

It would be really really helpful if everyone posting could start a new thread when there you want to say something about a different subject.

If anyone thinks their own contribution is in the wrong place please PM me.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 03:53:57 PM »

Well the Box arrived.  I had emailed the gentleman who sold it immediately after the sale to instruct him how to pack it and send it.  He packed it incorrectly.  He left the Accordion in the original box unpadded and packed the original box in another box that was packed well.  The accordion rattled around in the interior box and came to me in pieces internally, guts obliterated.  The Accordion externally is beautiful the reeds were rattling loose and the internal mechanism was broken.  I'm distraught because I don't even know how to put it back together.  Here is the box directly after I unpacked it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:55:59 PM by A.J. Culwell »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 04:03:20 PM »

I don't think its too serious Drew.  The reeds would have to come out anyway for new valves and wax.  The reed blocks will need to be carefully glued back together, but the wood parts seem to have survived more or less intact.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »

I would be really surprised if the damage shown was as a result of it being transported badly. The reeds coming off I could understand but the reed plate damage and the cracks in the sound board I would imagine were there before it was packed.

But like Theo said it looks like it could be fixed with some TLC.

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 04:09:51 PM »

Agreed, however prior to the sale I asked the seller if there was anything rattling around in the box and he replied in the negative.  Oh well Caveat Emptor!

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »

The soundboard looks like the only thing that could be a problem :-\ It would have needed restoring anyway, which would require all the reeds to be removed as Theo says. The reedblocks look like they'd glue well.

The crack in the soundboard wasn't there in the listing, so I think that you should be able to claim some money back off the chap. If that needs replacing then it could change the character of the box. Best send it to a sympathetic repairer!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 04:23:07 PM by ukebert »
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 04:25:47 PM »

You are correct that the crack wasn't there.  Simply packing the box correctly would have solved this issue.  Now to find a sympathetic repairer!

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »

Was it insured? I would definitely try to get some money back. Sorry that it hasn't worked out well :(
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 05:24:50 PM »

It was insured, not sure how much though. Have to investigate my options. 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 05:47:21 PM »

You are correct that the crack wasn't there.  Simply packing the box correctly would have solved this issue.  Now to find a sympathetic repairer!

Are you sure?  The description mentions "There is a seam on the wooden face that is opened a 1/16 " under the 6th pad from the left"  which you can just about see because it goes through the R of Steel Reeds above the 6th pallet
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 05:53:44 PM »

Agreed, however prior to the sale I asked the seller if there was anything rattling around in the box and he replied in the negative. 
The description states: "Everything moves freely"  :o
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 05:54:05 PM »

The soundboard looks like the only thing that could be a problem :-\ It would have needed restoring anyway, which would require all the reeds to be removed as Theo says. The reedblocks look like they'd glue well.

The crack in the soundboard wasn't there in the listing, so I think that you should be able to claim some money back off the chap. If that needs replacing then it could change the character of the box. Best send it to a sympathetic repairer!

According to the listing " a seam in the wooden face had opened up 1/16" behind pallet 6 " - so it was mentioned.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal