Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon or Piano Accordion??  (Read 17680 times)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
Re: Melodeon or Piano Accordion??
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2010, 01:05:03 AM »

don't kn ow w;hat happened there - must have pressed post button before I posted!

what I was goin to say was that steve clincscale music has new bcc# 27 bass italian maade boxes for under 2k  and also serenellini have made one or two very nice ones recently to special order possibly through birmingham accordions or whatever their proper name is ( they are serenellini agents)

The BCC# is not suitable for classical stuff & exams & grades as right hand chords in set pieces may not be availabale due to not being able to come & go at the same time. It is however a superb traditional/folk box & is the in my opinion, for what its worth, the best choice for melodeonists (of whatever set up) wanting to go chromatic with decent bass whilst retaining the joys?!? of   sook an blaw

george - now having said more than he was going to say when he didn't say anything ;D

27 bass? I presume you mean 72? :P He also does an 80 bass 3 row 4 voice for £4500. A project that I would like to do one day is to fit 32 bass into a Liliput (possible) and tune it to B/C plus 4 key helper row in C#. Smallest BCC# ever? :P

And agreed to all of that. The D/G has more musical potential than the BCC# in the keys that it is built to play, but in terms of flexibility then BCC# is king. I've tried CBA and it just doesn't feel right without pushpull :( BCC# is fun. Apart from anything, the fact that if you go wrong you are probably a semitone out (as opposed to something palatable on D/G) gives it an air of danger and excitement ;D
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2010, 09:29:13 AM »

Playing across the rows of any melodeon does add a certain frisson to one's art*  >:E   The other side of that coin (this to Neil, our host) is that most 'in row' play on a G/C, D/G (or cousin thereof) is naturally harmonious. There's load of scope for experiment and indeed misguided fingers. The worst clash you are likely to achieve 'accidentally' is a sus chord

Comes back to the concept of playing 'in tension' or 'relaxed' .. and the pleasure of going between the two. I for one have enjoyed learning the ropes  ;)

* eg - having to decide whether C or C# is 'forbidden' against pull A.  
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:31:00 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

george garside

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2010, 11:38:29 AM »

to me one is and t'other isn't - but then being a simple soul I always work on the basis that if ity sounds right it is right & if it sounds bloody awful it isn't

george :D
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Neil_M

• Good talker
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »

Very excited today, I've just colected my new, second hand, Pokerwork!  ;D Looks in really nice condition, I've had a quick play and managed the first few phrases of Scottische a Bethanie (trebble only so far) and had some fun with the basses.

I did get a nice surprise when I looked underneath my new box - it's German made. Bit of a Brucie Bonus  (:)

Thanks again for all the help and advice, I'll no doubt be pestering you all again very shortly  ::)
Pressed Wood G/C

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2010, 12:40:57 PM »

You realize that you are now hooked for life, don't you? But it's a good addiction...

Merry Christmas and happy playing!
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

waltzman

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2010, 01:28:37 PM »

to me one is and t'other isn't - but then being a simple soul I always work on the basis that if ity sounds right it is right & if it sounds bloody awful it isn't

Isn't this a question of major or minor?

Old Leaky

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »

Probably the best use of a piano accordion in the world...  >:E

(Hobgoblin Music, London, December 2009)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2010, 08:00:58 PM »

C Sharp Squared?  :-*
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Old Leaky

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2010, 11:00:09 PM »

C Sharp Squared?  :-*

Yeah, it's a bugger!  ;)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2010, 12:14:40 AM »

Isn't this a question of major or minor?

Not really. In the right circumstances then a C natural against an A major chord can be very effective. Intervals that sound bad on their own often sound fine in context. Even minor seconds and diminished fifths.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2010, 10:03:51 AM »

Indeed .. but you have now entered into 'tension' .. which was my (intended) point

eg try pull A7 (3 adjacent middle row buttons) over an A bass
       .. extended with C in the second octave (inner row, little finger)  >:E

The dominant resolves to D major - but defo in the "why do it" - "it's so nice when I stop" genre
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 10:08:43 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2010, 07:24:21 PM »

At some point I would love to sit down and play with you Chris ;D

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal